British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Robbo

Somerton Park - Newport Speedway 1964-1977

The 'new' track has an excellent shape because Tim Stone started with a blank peice of paper...........

It might be a good shape mart W but it didn't have enough dirt or preparation on it in June when we were there. It crocked both Smart and Grieves.

Lets not start this one again it's has been flogged to death already. Just making observation re track.

Now now BTL, the post said good shape and I have NEVER heard anything bad about the shape, infact I have heard it is a near perfect shape (unlike Coventry) but it's just not looked after properly.

Kingsmead was never anything special, even when I saw the Czechs there in a Test Match.

cyclone, Canterbury was widely regarded as one of the best tracks in the country and was the stage for some superb racing - I guess we're never going to agree on this one :blink:

cyclone, Canterbury was widely regarded as one of the best tracks in the country and was the stage for some superb racing - I guess we're never going to agree on this one :blink:

Plus me.

canterbury = 1 line track

Canterbury was more than a 1 line track....

Poole (old track) also had a footy pitch inside but was a fantastic shape.

Exeter has a rugby pitch and dog track inside and is perfect for racing

cyclone, Canterbury was widely regarded as one of the best tracks in the country :

I must have missed this nationwide survey :P - certainly never heard any of my friends at various tracks singing the praise of Kingsmead, apart from Dick & Les (aka ZZ Top).

Both Ashfield & The Shay(Halifax) have football pitches inside them and both produced far more exciting racing than the tepid stuff I saw at Kingsmead on several occasions.

Maybe I was unfortunate in the meetings I went, or should I have purchased rose tinted glasses for watching Canterbury Fair ?