British Speedway Forum

Its no different to a tennis player wanting to claim a gram slam title, they have to play on a different types of surface. Why not speedway. I would just show some riders are better on some surfaces than others.

You misunderstand me.. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the Telford Ice meeting..: just that if there's some strange rule saying that only one Speedway meeting a month is allowed in November, December, January and February; then I find it odd that the Ice Racing event 'counts' as one of these meetings for the purposes of this ruling..

I wonder (and we were speculating on this as a proposition at Brighton on Sunday..) what would be the Speedway authorities' attitude to someone setting up a track (shale obviously, not ice!!) in an indoor location on a permanent basis and seeking to enter a League team from such a site??

Thinking about it, an indoor location would have terrific advantages. Sure expensive to set up and would need to find a fairly mega building (but old aircraft hanger or disused factory etc. could fit the bill..??); but having set it up, it would be a venue completely free of the vagaries of the weather and would also be able to be used for things like music concerts and boxing...

Noise would almost certainly be less of an issue and could therefore overcome some of the Planning & EH 'bogeys'..!

But as I say, would the Speedway controlling bodies allow it or not..?? :unsure:

Interesting idea Parsloes.

Here is what they will be using tomorrow.Put the cursor over the photo and it shows the inside of the arena.A horse riding/jumping hall.