British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Custom House Kid

World Pairs

Sitting at the keyboard the other night, whilst looking at the Premier League Pairs thread, I had a flash of insperation and thought of all the great international riders over the years, who would make the pair for each country !

Here’s my attempt (first 3 in order)

1st Sweden

Ove fundin

Tony Rickardsson

Sub Bjorn Knutsson

2nd New Zealand

Ivan Mauger

Ronnie Moore

Sub B Briggs

3rd Denmark

Ole Olsen

Hans Nielsen

Sub Tommy Knudsen

In no Particular order

Great Britan

Jack Parker

Peter Craven

Sub Peter Collins

Australia

Jack Young

“Bluey” Wilkinson

Sub Jason Crump

Poland

Tomasz Gollob

Antonin Woryna

Sub Andrzej Wyglenda

Czech Republic

Lukas Dryml

Antonin Kasper snr

Sub Lubos Tomicek

Norway

Sverre Harrfeldt

Rune Holta

Sub Reidar Eide

Russia

Igor Plechanov

Boris Samorodov

Sub ?

Finland

Kalevi Lahtinen

Kai Niemi

Sub Kaj Laukkanen

USA

Bruce Penhall

Greg Hancock

Sub Jack Milne

Have you got any alternative Riders/Country

Some tremendous riders here, got to have a good think about my riders,.

This kind of thing is always subjective, but may I suggest Roman Povazhny as your Russian reserve?

ahh

you have my soft spot too.

Shame he was unlucky tonight.

For the Czech Republic how about Jiri Stancl (George's father)

He was a World Finalist many times.

And how could you miss out Messrs Ermalenko, Hammil, and Penhall from the USA? It's difficult isn't it!

Also when it come to actual pairings I seem to remember Scotland (YES SCOTLAND!) with Jim MacMillan and the late George Hunter giving them hell at Belle Vue one year (in the 70's?)

Nice thread, reminded me of Denmark's pairings in the early 70's. Usually reported in the results as something like Olsen 18, Bogh 0!

I would have put Gundersen in their trio. For Poland how about Zenon Plech or Edward Jancarz?

I think Valeri Gordeev for Russia. USA is the most difficult. I don't disagree with your selection but no Morans or Sigalos?

Isn't Crump senior and junior tempting as well......

there are plenty of arguments of course especially for the likes of Denmark (what about Jan O and Gundersen), USA (Ermolenko, Moran bros), Czecho (Jiri Stancl, Ales Dryml snr, Vaclav Verner) Australia (Phil Crump, Billy Sanders) Poland (the late Edward Jancarz, Zenon Plech) Russia (Gordeev brothers..even if one did cheat in a World Final)

Sweden (Per Jonsson, Tommy J, Soren Sjosten)

Strangely enough I was working on a similar thread myself, only with 4-man World Cup type teams.

However, I agree with most of your selections CHK. My only changes would be: Australia: Vic Duggan, Jack Young res: Vic Huxley. Gt Britain: Tom Farndon, Peter Craven res: Jack Parker. Denmark: Erik Gundersen as sub. Not sure about USA, might put Jack Milne and Greg Hancock round the other way. Might also put Briggs and Moore round the other way for New Zealand.

For the Czech Republic how about Jiri Stancl (George's father)

He was a World Finalist many times.

And how could you miss out Messrs Ermalenko, Hammil, and Penhall from the USA? It's difficult isn't it!

Also when it come to actual pairings I seem to remember Scotland (YES SCOTLAND!)

Ken Mckinlay is my first choice for a "sweaty" pairing, the best team rider ever to sit on a speedway bike ! Bert Harkins could also make the pair !

Czech Republic

Sub Lubos Tomicek

Saw that and thought he did well last Friday but not that well but remembered you meant Lubos Snr Snr.

Czech Republic

Sub Lubos Tomicek

Saw that and thought he did well last Friday but not that well but remembered you meant Lubos Snr Snr.

Sorry an age thing ! :oops:

I should have Anders Michaneck or Tommy Jansson as a tactical substitute for Tricky & Fundy!!!!

I should have Anders Michaneck or Tommy Jansson as a tactical substitute for Tricky & Fundy!!!!

I watched Anders many times. Always a great rider !

Meetings that spring to mind

GB v Sweden Custom House 1970 13Pts from 5rides beaten only by I Mauger & B Briggs on the night and the only man to beat I Mauger !

British League Riders Championship 1970 at Belle Vue runner up after a race off with B Briggs and Eric Boocock 3rd !

As for my choice B Knutsson, a bit of West Ham Bias. Also World another World Champion !

As for my choice B Knutsson, a bit of West Ham Bias. Also World another World Champion !

More than just West Ham bias surely? Remember he did break in to the Fundin/Briggs/Moore/Craven stranglehold to become part of the 'Big Five'. He was a great rider in anybody's book.