British Speedway Forum
czechhero

Hugh Watkinson

Does anyone out there have any info on a rider by the name of Hugh Watkinson who was killed at Perry Barr in 1946, strangely in November? We do know that he wasn't contracted to the Brummies at the time, but can anybody fill in anymore details? Thank you.

Does anyone out there have any info on a rider by the name of Hugh Watkinson who was killed at Perry Barr in 1946, strangely in November? We do know that he wasn't contracted to the Brummies at the time, but can anybody fill in anymore details? Thank you.

Don't know anything at all about this rider. But about a month before, Birmingham's Canadian rider Charlie Appleby died after an accident at Newcastle. Have you tried the Birmingham website?

He was 25 years old and died after a crash whilst practising. which explains the november date. It was at the alexander stadium, perry bar.

Edited by Bailays Hat
  • Like 1

He was 25 years old and died after a crash whilst practising.  which explains the november date.  It was at the alexander stadium, perry bar.

Thank you for that. :D

Hugh Stanley Watkinson was born in West Ham London in 1920. After being demobbed from the Army after the end of the war, he invested his army severance pay in a speedway machine and enrolled in the Training School being run by Harold "Tiger" Stevenson at Perry Barr Stadium, Birmingham in 1946. The opening day of the school was spent in the classroom discussing engine maintenance etc, and Watkinson was one of the first of the trainees (he could possibly have been the first) to take to the track on the second day. Stevenson's assistant was the then Birmingham captain Stan Dell, and Dell instructed all the trainees to ride slowly round the track for a few laps and to then gradually increase speed on receiving the signal from himself.Dell positioned himself on the track in the middle of the first bend in order to signal to the trainees, but Watkinson ignored the instruction to ride round slowly, and opened the throttle to its fullest extent, causing Dell to jump over the fence to avoid being struck by Watkinson's out of control machine. Watkinson then ran full tilt into the wooden safety fence and was taken to Birmingham General Hospital where he died from a fractured skull, in the early hours of November 16th 1946.

Birmingham Speedway Supporters' Club have made numerous attempts to trace any of his family but without success, but a small plaque is shortly to be affixed to the wall on the landing at the stadium to commemorate the memory of the only rider to have lost his life at Perry Barr. The plaque reads: "In memory of Hugh Watkinson sadly killed training at Birmingham Speedway on 16th November 1946."

• Like 4

On 8/11/2018 at 11:15 AM, brianbuck said:

Hugh Stanley Watkinson was born in West Ham London in 1920. After being demobbed from the Army after the end of the war, he invested his army severance pay in a speedway machine and enrolled in the Training School being run by Harold "Tiger" Stevenson at Perry Barr Stadium, Birmingham in 1946. The opening day of the school was spent in the classroom discussing engine maintenance etc, and Watkinson was one of the first of the trainees (he could possibly have been the first) to take to the track on the second day. Stevenson's assistant was the then Birmingham captain Stan Dell, and Dell instructed all the trainees to ride slowly round the track for a few laps and to then gradually increase speed on receiving the signal from himself.Dell positioned himself on the track in the middle of the first bend in order to signal to the trainees, but Watkinson ignored the instruction to ride round slowly, and opened the throttle to its fullest extent, causing Dell to jump over the fence to avoid being struck by Watkinson's out of control machine. Watkinson then ran full tilt into the wooden safety fence and was taken to Birmingham General Hospital where he died from a fractured skull, in the early hours of November 16th 1946.

Birmingham Speedway Supporters' Club have made numerous attempts to trace any of his family but without success, but a small plaque is shortly to be affixed to the wall on the landing at the stadium to commemorate the memory of the only rider to have lost his life at Perry Barr. The plaque reads: "In memory of Hugh Watkinson sadly killed training at Birmingham Speedway on 16th November 1946."

Brian, when is the plaque being affixed? I'm an experienced Genealogist so if there's time I'm more than happy to see if I can find any living relatives, although I probably wont be able to come up with their current addresses. I know that Hugh had three younger brothers.

• Like 1

That's very decent of you. I will be affixing the plaque to the wall this Wednesday.It is just a small plate of about 9" x 2" so what we would really like is a photograph to go with it. If you can trace a relative who can supply one, that would be very useful. We know that he was born in West Ham in 1920, that he lived in Essex at the time of his death, that he is buried in Newham Cemetery and that the grave also contains the remains of his parents.

The plaque is a small brass plate and is inscribed: "In memory of Hugh Watkinson of Essex, sadly killed training at Birmingham Speedway 16th November 1946" You can contact me at 07526 213031 if need be.

Very many thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brianbuck said:

That's very decent of you. I will be affixing the plaque to the wall this Wednesday.It is just a small plate of about 9" x 2" so what we would really like is a photograph to go with it. If you can trace a relative who can supply one, that would be very useful. We know that he was born in West Ham in 1920, that he lived in Essex at the time of his death, that he is buried in Newham Cemetery and that the grave also contains the remains of his parents.

The plaque is a small brass plate and is inscribed: "In memory of Hugh Watkinson of Essex, sadly killed training at Birmingham Speedway 16th November 1946" You can contact me at 07526 213031 if need be.

Very many thanks.

Brian. I may have a possible lead for you, in a CERA WATKINSON who is the daughter of Hugh's nephew LAURENCE.E WATKINSON, the son of Hugh's brother ERIC.  She is now Cera Bulpitt and lives in Ventor, Isle of Wight.  If you look at http://www.isleofwightscouts.org.uk/districts/east-wight-district/3rd-ventnor/  she is mentioned as a leader along with her husband Steve. There is a contact page on the site, so you could get in touch with  her through that. She may also have better current information, contact wise, of other relatives than I can provide.

Edited by HertsRacer

Many thanks for this useful information. I have messaged Mrs Bulpitt and asked if she would contact me. I will let you know the outcome.

• Like 1

Sorry to report that Mrs Cera Bulpit has not responded to the message I left for her, so I obviously cannot try to pressure her into doing so.

On 8/13/2018 at 10:35 AM, brianbuck said:

Very many thanks.

Good evening, my name is Chris Tuck (nee Watkinson) Hugh was my uncle.  The family lived in Sandhurst Drive, Ilford, Essex. He was the eldest of 5 children, 4 boys and one girl. Hugh, Eric, Claude (known as Reg) who was my father, Malcolm and Joyce. Sadly Eric and Claude passed away couple of years ago but Malcolm who is now 85 and Joyce 76 (don’t quote me on the ages) still survive.  Obviously they were very young when Hugh died but my father spoke of his often, and would have been the person to speak to, my grandmother never spoke of him after his death.I have old family photographs, I don’t recall one of Hugh but I’ll gladly look through them to see if I can find one. I don’t think Malcolm or Joyce have any. I enjoyed reading your post about him, and I thank you for that. Kindest regards.

Christine,

Thank you so much for the personal information you have sent to me, which I do appreciate very much. I have been a supporter of Birmingham Speedway for the last 67 years and have been Secretary of the Supporters' Club since 1971. I am also a keen historian and have tried very hard to locate information about your uncle and also about Charlie Appleby who also lost his life in 1946 and has been the only rider to be killed whilst riding for Birmingham. The information you have supplied is a useful addition to our knowledge of Hugh, and we want to ensure that his name is not forgotten in the future. If you do happen to locate a picture of him, and can let me have a copy, that would be very much appreciated.

With kindest regards --  Brian.

• Like 1

Hello Brian,

Sorry for the delay in replying.  I have found a photograph of Hugh, it is part of a photograph taken with his father and all of his siblings.  Looking at it I think it must have been taken not long before he was killed.  I hope this is of use to you.  Once this virus has passed, I hope to visit the plaque with my husband and oldest son, and bring Hugh’s brother Malcolm and his daughter.

Kindest regards

Chris Tuck (nee Watkinson)

3859D011-6E2D-4412-8EA5-6080DB593A5A.jpeg

• Like 1