British Speedway Forum

I'd just like to say that after 23 years it was SO GOOD to have a Brummie to shout for! Also very pleased that Brent Werner, (our #4) was more than just holding his own against EL / GB / SGP (thanks to Bomber for that accolade) riders. If our top 3 are better still then the season will be well worth looking forward to...

:D

I hope Brent has a good season for the Brummies. Dont read too much

into his performance at the NYC tho - he always looks a class act in this meeting

and then often flatters to deceive when the season starts.

I remember him scoring paid 20 for Eastbourne at Cov a few years ago, then his

season fell away after that.

I remember him scoring paid 20 for Eastbourne at Cov a few years ago....

Don't we all?! :(

There aren't many things that stick in my memory but unfortunately Brent's performance against Coventry is one of them. He rode brilliantly that night.

The New Year Classic is a better meeting than either Brighton or Telford.

That is hardly difficult :rolleyes: What passes at Brighton or Telford isn't speedway.

Dictionary definition for 'Classic': "of the first or highest quality, class, or rank"

That meeting did not in any way equate to that description.

That is hardly difficult  :rolleyes:  What passes at Brighton or Telford isn't speedway.

Dictionary definition for 'Classic': "of the first or highest quality, class, or rank"

That meeting did not in any way equate to that description.

The New Year Classic is:

1) The first meeting of the year.

2) The highest quality winter meeting.

3) The classiest winter meeting.

4) It ranks as the highest ranked winter meeting.

Therefore even by your own opinion, the New Year Classic is truelly a classic.

As I said before, if you do not like it, simply do not go because most of the people who go have a great day and enjoy the racing.

A speedway promoter does his best to put on a meeting in the middle of the winter to bring some entertainment to us speedway fans and all people like you can do is moan.

Oh no he doesn't. He put's the meeting on cos he know's he'll make a good few quid. The line up's not classic, the meeting isn't classic, but Stone know's that even if he puts out a line up of PL 2nd strings that people will turn up, hand over their good money to watch the tripe.

It may not be a classic, but the EL is not elite and the PL is not premier. Speedway likes to talk things up, plus he's hardly likely to call it the "New Year Mediocre" is he ;)

Oh no he doesn't.  He put's the meeting on cos he know's he'll make a good few quid.  The line up's not classic, the meeting isn't classic, but Stone know's that even if he puts out a line up of PL 2nd strings that people will turn up, hand over their good money to watch the tripe.

People know that the line up is not going to be full of GP riders. If people did not think it was worth the money, they would not go. If people want to see some interesting racing during the winter they can always go to Sittingbourne, not top class racing but interesting racing.

As i said, if people do not like the meeting, then nobody is forcing them to go.

So he makes some money: Shock horror that a speedway promoter might want to make a profit.

Actually look at Telford promoted by World Indoor Ice. They hold a British Open Championship and a GB V the Rest of the World test match, who sanctions them to use such descriptions?

Edited by The Little Un

Oh no he doesn't.  He put's the meeting on cos he know's he'll make a good few quid.  The line up's not classic, the meeting isn't classic, but Stone know's that even if he puts out a line up of PL 2nd strings that people will turn up, hand over their good money to watch the tripe.

I do not think you understand how much work is involed putting this meeting on and the amount of hours it takes. As for PL2nd strings if you look at the line up moreEL than PL riders. You are right about he makes a few quid but take into acount hours worked it is not a lot

It may not be a classic, but the EL is not elite and the PL is not premier.  Speedway likes to talk things up, plus he's hardly likely to call it the "New Year Mediocre" is he ;)

Exactly

Tim Stone is in the business of promoting after all.

The NYC is now an established event on the speedway calendar.

I would imagine it was a big risk to put the first ones on all those

years ago. Fair play to TS that his gamble was a success.

The New Year Classic is:

1) The first meeting of the year.

2) The highest quality winter meeting.

3) The classiest winter meeting.

4) It ranks as the highest ranked winter meeting.

Therefore even by your own opinion, the New Year Classic is truelly a classic.

As I said before, if you do not like it, simply do not go because most of the people who go have a great day and enjoy the racing.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man becomes king...

...but let's thank the one eye'd man for describing the light, as without that, all else would be darkness.

I'm just guessing here but three weeks of rain before hand put the mockers on the meeting being any sort of 'Classic' put that together with the fact that riders are mostly having their engines serviced during the winter and the equipment they are using isn't likely to be their 'Sunday best'.

We can add into that the fact that the riders are a little race rusty from the end of the season.

I always enjoy the New Year Classic, the riders go out there and don't just trundle around but race even in slimey wet conditions so alien to the Newport set up some of them are used to. It's something to look forward to after the Christmas holidays and it's right on my doorstep, even better. :D

Guest Steve Dixon
I always enjoy the New Year Classic, the riders go out there and don't just trundle around but race even in slimey wet conditions so alien to the Newport set up some of them are used to.  It's something to look forward to after the Christmas holidays and it's right on my doorstep, even better.  :D

I enjoy it too, not exactly on my doorstep tho, 334.18 mile round trip... :D:D

I went there this year for the first time too, all the way from Liverpool via Manchester - BOTH WEEKENDS!!!!

We had a great laugh though, the 4 of us (well 3 of us by the time the re-run came round).

The weekend it was cancelled we ended up locked in The Prince Of Wales pub in Cardiff City Centre, surrounded by a bunch of football hooligans who were dying to get there hands on Tottenham Hotspur later that afternoon in the FA Cup. :(:unsure:

We quite rightly kept a low profile in there and we were quite relieved once the doors were freed open for us!! Phew! :lol:

I went there this year for the first time too, all the way from Liverpool via Manchester - BOTH WEEKENDS!!!!

The weekend it was cancelled we ended up locked in The Prince Of Wales pub in Cardiff City Centre, surrounded by a bunch of football hooligans who were dying to get there hands on Tottenham Hotspur later that afternoon in the FA Cup. :(:unsure:

We quite rightly kept a low profile in there and we were quite relieved once the doors were freed open for us!! Phew! :lol:

I bet a pound to a pinch of sh*t you nicked their hubcaps before you went home though. B)