British Speedway Forum

first of all well done to david howe for winning the new year claasic and to all the lads for riding and putting on entertainment on such a difficult track.

the best race of the day i thought was the young lads challenge match tim webster and sam hurst put on a great race togetha and dun well to stay on there bikes.

but i must say i have seen alot of vast improvement in tim webster since last season he is much smoother and faster and he got out them gates really well and won 2 races i was suprised i got to say well dun to him someone must be training him well.

Edited by lovinspeedway

and photo 36, us turncoat Coventry fans get everywhere :P

You would say that, just as I'm going to say that I'd prefer to see the team winning a competition that one rider winning a glorifed practice session (as thats all it is to Bomber and Howe).

Rider to impress me where Howe and Bomber (duh!) and Glenn Cunningham (:o), Werner is also impressed for a 5.5 rider.

Hey I said it 'Kinda' Made up for it. The full revenge is yet to come :wink:

Edited by superguest

Hey I said it 'Kinda' Made up for it. The full revenge is yet to come  :wink:

I think you'll find what happened was Bomber made the gate which made David look bad and he was pulling away so he started to feel sorry for David as he knows David won't be able to win any individual meetings this year while Bomber is winning GP's for fun. Bomber decided on the last bend to give David and the Wolves fans something to cheer about in what will be a terrible 2007 for them :P

Good to see some speedway on Sunday. Felt gutted for Chris as he was leading the final comfortably until the last bend, but these things happen. To be honest, apart from a second ride blip, he looked a cut above the rest of the field.

I must say, I was quick to jump to the defence of the Newport promotion last week, but I was not massively impressed with the running of this years NYC.

To me, the final two or three heats were spoiled by the track being wet after the 15 minutes or so of rain we had towards the end of this meeting. The weather was overcast throughout the meeting, with banks of cloud continuously rolling overhead. From our vantage point on the back straight, it was also clear that a band of rain was heading towards the stadium, yet no attempt appeared to be made to speed the meeting up. The meeting started at 1pm and yet, the final heat did not finish till around 3:20. People do not want to be standing around for over 2 hours in the middle of winter or get rained on if they can help it.

It is perfectly possible to run a heat approximately every 5 minutes. Even accounting for re-runs etc it should still have been possible to finish this meeting in well under 2 hours. Priority should have been given to completing the meeting proper as soon as possible and the juniors and quads could then have raced after the main event itself. If the weather had been clear yesterday, then I could have accepted a drawn out affair but there was always a risk of rain.

Edited by G the Bee

The weather was overcast throughout the meeting, with banks of cloud continuously rolling overhead.  From our vantage point on the back straight, it was also clear that a band of rain was heading towards the stadium, yet no attempt appeared to be made to speed the meeting up.

When it happened at the Newport vs Rye House meeting and I had the cheek to post the same on this forum, I got a bollocking from the ass lickers (meeting was rained off after 11 heats). So how the hell you can predict the fact it was likely to rain just because there where big black crowds coming from behind the 1st/2nd bend (the rain has been coming from that direction for 10 years now, you'd think Tim Stone would know), the ass lickers don't know!!

Thing is, I don't think Tim Stone cares by then because he has your money.

So young and yet so cynical! :) Perhaps the riders didn't want the track altered, there was no track inspection.

I know that when we were in the pits we had no idea what was behind the stand weather wise. When we had a shower everybody was saying "gosh and golly, where did that dashed rain come from" - or words to that effect. I didn't hear any of the riders pass any comment at all about the rain effecting the track.

Off at a bit of a tangent, has anybody noticed how keyboards and large amounts of special brew have the same effect on some people. Firstly it makes them add words into what started out as a reasonable comment that turns it into a rant. It makes them say things that they wouldn't normally be brave enough to and it seems that both are capable of making the quietest mouse believe he is a lion.

See below for a example of binge keyboarding.

When it happened at the Newport vs Rye House meeting and I had the cheek to post the same on this forum, I got a bollocking from the ass lickers (meeting was rained off after 11 heats).  So how the hell you can predict the fact it was likely to rain just because there where big black crowds coming from behind the 1st/2nd bend (the rain has been coming from that direction for 10 years now, you'd think Tim Stone would know), the ass lickers don't know!!

Off at a bit of a tangent, has anybody noticed how keyboards and large amounts of special brew have the same effect on some people. Firstly it makes them add words into what started out as a reasonable comment that turns it into a rant. It makes them say things that they wouldn't normally be brave enough to and it seems that both are capable of making the quietest mouse believe he is a lion.

*lol* Since when has SCB been a quiet mouse???? :D;)

Have been to most of the New Year Classics and they normally provide a welcome break during the Winter. However this years is the worst I have ever seen, not helped unfortunately by the condition of the track, due to rain over the previous weeks, also the rather watered down line up due to having to cancel the previous week, which meant some riders could not come back. Like others the meeting did seem to drag out and whilst Tim Stone tries to put on a value for money show, I would prefer to see just the Classic and not have it interspersed with Junior races. As already mentioned the toilet area downstairs left a lot to be desired, and would not have passed a health and safety test. I do not expect to have to wade through water to gain access, although would add there was nothing wrong with the toilets themselves. When is Tim Stone going to spend a bit of money tarting the place up a bit. Some Emulsion paint on the walls in the corridor would help and I do not want someone suggesting I do it. For a 200 mile round trip I expect better than this.

For a 200 mile round trip I expect better than this.

To be fair, you knew the line-up was going to be missing a few names from the original date, you knew the walls weren't painted with emulsion, you knew the track would be wet and you knew there would be junior races. The only thing you didn't knw was that there was a puddle by the toilets.

I'd say pretty much you knew what to expect for your 200 mile round trip.

Take into consideration that riders are not race fit,testing new bikes,getting over Christmas/New Year festivies like the rest of us,I wouldnt criticise the riders at all.

Remember,it may have been a bit chilly and damp on the terraces,but they were getting covered from head to toe in all that wet stuff.Credit to them all for at least having a go.I sincerely thank them for that.

I know it wasnt 'classic' racing,but then again,I went there not expecting to see that either.I was just pleased to see some action.

My only moan was the delays between races.I agree with others,that this should have been speeded up.

Then again,I suppose its impossible to please everyone all the time.I know our party all enjoyed the day,from the time we left Poole to the time we got back.

See you round the tracks later this year folks.

Edited by BobC

I know that when we were in the pits we had no idea what was behind the stand weather wise. When we had a shower everybody was saying "gosh and golly, where did that dashed rain come from" - or words to that effect. I didn't hear any of the riders pass any comment at all about the rain effecting the track.

SCB and special Brew - hehehehehe :D

I prefer mouthwash myself :P

Vince, you should know by now, that day I was very pissed off, so much so that until this weekend I have not been to Newport since. That day was a shambles, the only people who would not say so are the people who have been on the special brew! Then to come on here and have people defend it, that really was insulting!