British Speedway Forum

To be honest I wasn't going to bother with this meeting, but Diesel didn't want to get his pimp mobile dirty so I had to drive him.

The positives;

The track was pretty good considering the weather Newport has had to contend with over the last few weeks. The riders gave it a go and there was some competitive racing.

Phyllis looked like he will score loads at PL level, God how many years have I waited for him to sign, at last we have got him!

Nicky and Tim both looked good and should provide a solid couple of riders for the Mavs in 2007.

The negatives;

The presentation was woeful, I'll put up with delays between heats so long as we get some info - Sunday we got none. Jason Harold may be ok on his breakfast show with a script in front of him but he is crap at commenting on live meeting.

It pains me to say it, but Sam really does look a shadow of the rider he was, hopefully he will turn it around.

Off at a bit of a tangent, has anybody noticed how keyboards and large amounts of special brew have the same effect on some people. Firstly it makes them add words into what started out as a reasonable comment that turns it into a rant. It makes them say things that they wouldn't normally be brave enough to and it seems that both are capable of making the quietest mouse believe he is a lion.

Vince, if you really feel that strongly you don't have to look far to confront the people making the comments you object to. Nearly all of them are in the crowd every Sunday, why not leave the pits and come and speak to us?

Edited by judgejules

The meeting was due to start at 1pm and the final result was through to live-updates by 3.25pm.

There were sixteen races in the main event.

How many other races were there?

How many races were re-run?

If Tim Stone had said that this year we are not going to have any supporting races and just the minimum number of races possible and get through them in 90 minutes, people would be here moaning that he wanted to give the minimum possible to make the maximum profit possible.

Two and half hours to run such a meeting this time of year sounds good to me.

Though I could not make it, I think it is fantastic that Tim puts on a show this time of the year and many promoters have tried to get all winter meetings banned over the years.

People are moaning about things like puddles but how many said anything to the people in charge?

People say about getting the staff to do things when Newport like most other clubs have to rely on volunteers to do many jobs. Not every stadium owner is a millionaire like at Coventry. It looked to me like Newport has much better viewing facilities than my own club Arena.

Best wishes,

Judy

If Tim Stone had said that this year we are not going to have any supporting races and just the minimum number of races possible and get through them in 90 minutes, people would be here moaning that he wanted to give the minimum possible to make the maximum profit possible.

Two and half hours to run such a meeting this time of year sounds good to me.

Under normal circumstances this might be acceptable, but bands of dark clouds were rolling overhead throughout the meeting and they were coming in quickly. As a result there was a clear threat of rain. Therefore, the meeting should have been pushed through. The time of year had no bearing on the speed of this meeting. There were only a few re-runs, mainly for a couple of unsatisfactory starts.

I'm not saying have no support races, just that they should have been after the main event. You do not get the juniors coming out after every four or five heats in a normal league match but, rather, they come out after the main event. Get the main event over in 90 minutes, have an interval and then a second half. The rain certainly spoiled the end of the meeting for me. Bomber's winning time for heat 15 was over 66 seconds, nearly 5 seconds slower than his time in heat 13, so although the riders might not have actually complained, they were certainly affected by conditions. I think the last couple of heats and the final were pretty much non events, with riders tip-toeing round the track.

It's frustrating because it could have been avoided so easilly just by looking at the sky!

Under normal circumstances this might be acceptable, but bands of dark clouds were rolling overhead throughout the meeting and they were coming in quickly.  As a result there was a clear threat of rain.  Therefore, the meeting should have been pushed through.  The time of year had no bearing on the speed of this meeting.  There were only a few re-runs, mainly for a couple of unsatisfactory starts.

I'm not saying have no support races, just that they should have been after the main event.  You do not get the juniors coming out after every four or five heats in a normal league match but, rather, they come out after the main event.  Get the main event over in 90 minutes, have an interval and then a second half.  The rain certainly spoiled the end of the meeting for me.  Bomber's winning time for heat 15 was over 66 seconds, nearly 5 seconds slower than his time in heat 13, so although the riders might not have actually complained, they were certainly affected by conditions.  I think the last couple of heats and the final were pretty much non events, with riders tip-toeing round the track.

It's frustrating because it could have been avoided so easilly just by looking at the sky!

The reason why they have these extra races between certain heats is because of riders having two rides in a row, which the rules allows them to take extra time between their two rides. So they hardly hold back a meeting at all and twelve rider meetings tend to have more races where a rider has two in a row than sixteen rider events.

Best wishes,

Judy

Vince, if you really feel that strongly you don't have to look far to confront the people making the comments you object to. Nearly all of them are in the crowd every Sunday, why not leave the pits and come and speak to us?

I will happily talk to anybody and have spoken to SCB several times when he has been polite and no problem to chat to. There was no need for the childish name calling in that post and it's not the way he is away from his keyboard was the point I was making. Of course there is another slight hitch in that I have no idea who most of you are!

I find it hard to read some of the comments made about the classic. Do people relised how much work went in to this meeting. Yes the track was diffacult on 3rd and 4th bend and what people are saying about the track how many have ever worked on a track to know what they are on about

all meeting are hard to get on with the weather being how it is...mostly unpredictabale... Congratulations to the riders for racing and the staff and everyone involved making the meeting happen

Infact, Vince is right on this one, I was wrong to refer to anyone (even if they were un named) as an "ass licker". So I apologise.

he knows David won't be able to win any individual meetings this year while Bomber is winning GP's for fun.  Bomber decided on the last bend to give David and the Wolves fans something to cheer about in what will be a terrible 2007 for them :P

biggest tongue in cheek post yet.

total rubbish too tho as well :lol:

Second string in GP shocker - i can see the headlines :P

Second string in GP shocker - i can see the headlines :P

And I can see how the start of the story would go...

David Howe has been handed the wildcard for the British GP In Cardiff....

Really enjoyed the meeting, was great to see some speedway again.

Really felt for Bomber that win was his all the way until he hit that rut on the fourth bend of the last lap, fair play to Howe though he had rode well all through the meeting.

Guest Steve Dixon
I find it hard to read some of the comments made about the classic. Do people relised how much work went in to this meeting. Yes the track was diffacult on 3rd and 4th bend and what people are saying about the track how many have ever worked on a track to know what they are on about

Absolutely

I saw a nice little hole on turn one(which SCB reckons was sludge!!) that Richard Hall hit that propelled him off his bike,but its only what i expected after all the bad weather, all at Newport did well to get the meeting on.

And I can see how the start of the story would go...

David Howe has been handed the wildcard for the British GP In Cardiff....

I think you will find that they were talking about a Coventry second string winning a GP: However that is due to some people thinking that speedway has all of a sudden abolished third heatleaders, even though all promoters talk about their heatleader trio.

Best wishes,

Judy

Infact, Vince is right on this one, I was wrong to refer to anyone (even if they were un named) as an "ass licker".  So I apologise.

OMG - SCB says it again. But good on you SCB for standing up and being counted :D

And Vince you said:

I will happily talk to anybody and have spoken to SCB several times when he has been polite and no problem to chat to.

I personally have never known him any but polite and no problem to chat to. you just have to put your self in a position to get to know these people. :)

Absolutely

I saw a nice little hole on turn one(which SCB reckons was sludge!!) that Richard Hall hit that propelled him off his bike,but its only what i expected after all the bad weather, all at Newport did well to get the meeting on.

Dear Steve,

People will moan for the fun of it, not just because their own rider got beat fair and square. If there was one rut, which they all seem to be moaning about: Then I would put Tim Stone's name down to prepare the GP tracks which sometimes remind you of trying to race speedway on railway lines.

Best wishes,

Judy

Edited by The Little Un