British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ryan

Fair Derby - Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Guest NIOBI

Hiya Billy Janniro is going back to america this week for his compulsary return do you know when and where he is riding? :)

He will be racing in Auburn, California this Friday.

Cool site Ryan..love all the bios and info on all the riders taking part. 8) Despite the apparent lack of enthusiasm from the AMA it looks like speedway is still alive and kicking in the States. Any new up and coming names we should keep an eye out for :?:

We have a few riders who could make their way over to Europe in a few years. The problem over here is that the biggest track is about 220 yards and it doesn't operate on a weekly basis. Our riders don't get experience on the bigger tracks. Bryan Yarrow had never been on a track bigger than 220 yards before going to England earlier this year. There is a practice track now that is being run by Dukie Ermolenko that is supposed to be about 290 yards, so it could prove to be helpful. Speedway seems to be slowly on the rise again over here. The youth program is getting stronger in both Northern and Southern California and there are a few youth riders on the East Coast, which will help speedway in the future.

Some riders to watch for in the coming years:

Bryan Yarrow, Eric Carrillo, Chris Kerr, Shaun Harmatiuk, Justin Boyle, TJ Fowler, Tim Gomez, Ricky Wells (only 12).

It takes riders longer to develop now because each circuit only has 1-2 tracks as opposed to 4-5 in Southern California in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s. The riders would compete in over 80 meetings per year as opposed to 20-30 now.

I believe that Square Deal raceway in New York is the biggest in the States ? at 344 metres. I have read comments from riders who think that the track is too fast for too many of them. Speedway Racing only takes place there 6 times a year.

Cam Rafferty is a young rider from New York who will be riding in the 2003 AMA Nationals in California. If he does well out there, who know where it could lead to. I assume that most American riders require a work-permit to ride in the UK and that there are certain requirements needed to get that workpermit. I watched Cam win the 2002 US Open Series in NY last Summer, when he beat John 'Cowboy' Cook. He has a great riding style for a youngster and isn't afraid of going out wide, on these tiny US tracks. Of course, I don't know Cam personally, so I have no idea if a professional European career is what he's aiming for, but he definitely has the talent.

At 344m that sounds more like the European tracks - have any of the riders from Europe ridden there?

Shame the AMA can't sponsor a tour to Europe for a couple of weeks a year to bring some of the up and coming youngsters over for a taste of what speedway is like here - not only the tracks but the leagues and the set up etc. Give them some track time to see what they think with some guidance from some of the Americans already riding here.

You have to feel some sympathy for the younsters like Yarrow and Carillo etc who get through to the U21 rounds over here only to end up on tracks so much bigger than they've ever ridden before and end up against lads who are used to the conditions. Hardly good for confidence or ambition if they want to be the next Hamill or Hancock.

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Nice site Ryan

I particularly liked the video clips on http://www.speedwaybikes.com/video/index.htm , it's all corners and no straights !!!

Gave me a great insight into how big the tracks were and how the riding styles change to allow for it though.

One of the video clips is from Ventura Raceway which is about 300-325 yards around. The promoters of Costa Mesa promoted one race there in 1999 and one in 2000. It is a great facility for speedway. Weekly speedway is out of the question, but to have a meeting there once a month is feasible and the riders would love to race there. I even conducted a riders' poll several weeks back. The results are at

http://www.speedwaybikes.com/column2.htm. If our riders could get 4-6 meetings per year on that track, it would be very helpful when they go abroad.