British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stansolo

Ernie Rawlins

Any info would be greatly appreciated.....thank you :blink:

When I joined the Forum in June 2004 my first post was asking for information about Southampton speedway. You may like to look at the replies I got.

I remember Ernie riding for Southampton - he was my favourite rider :) It seems that everyone who says anything about him always states that he was a real gentleman and he always came across as that.

My memory is suffering from the effects of age these days so they tend to be a bit vague but Ernie was a real team man and of course captained Saints up to time of his tragic death. He was a real trier and always gave his best. I believe that he rode for Oxford before joining Saints.

Obviously the one thing that tends to sadly stick in the mind is the accident that led to his death. The memory of that instant will last forever in my mind :(

Edit:

Your post prompted me to check what I said about Ernie riding for Oxford and I am correct but what I was not aware of was that he was a team mate at Oxford of Bert # Name Removed # who also rode for Saints and became the team manager.

Edited by Old Saint

Ernie Rawlins was born in 1922. He made his debut for Southampton on 23 September 1947. He rode a few times for Southampton in 1948 and then moved to Oxford. He returned to Southampton in 1953 and became captain. He was one of Southampton's leading scorers from then until his fatal accident on 18 September 1956.

Southampton Averages:

1953: 8.0

1954: 5.4

1955: 8.8

1956: 10.4

These are actual match averages not C.M.A.s

The man who may have information is # Name Removed # (son of Bert) who is currently team manager of the Isle of Wight Islanders, he can sometimes be found on the forum as "Sack The Manager".

P.S.

Oxford averages:

1949: 2.39

1950: 3.51

1951: 6.57

1952: 1.50 (He only rode in four matches this year due to injury)

Thank you for your promt replies everyone, one of the points I would like to know was where was Ernie born?....cheers everyone.

was where was Ernie born?....

Ernest V. D. Rawlins was born in the 2nd quarter of 1922 in the County of Southampton registration district of South Stoneham.

Thank you Peatbog