British Speedway Forum
f-s-p

Finnish News

Jari Mäkinen, Joni Keskinen and Teemu Lahti will take part in the U21 World's qualifying round in Motala May 12th.

Reima is born in the mid 70's, Hautamäki and Mäkelä are both from early 80's?? I think Hautamäki won the U21 Championhip here in his last year as a U21 2003. So he would be the only one of the three I'd send to get "educated" in the UK. :)

Finnish riders in Sweden 2007:

Elit: Laukkanen - Kumla, Kylmäkorpi - Bajen, Nieminen - Kaparna*

Allsvenskan: Nieminen - Solkatterna*, Mäkinen - Örnarna*

1st division: Teemu Lahti - Gävle, Reima/Palomäki/Mäkelä - Filbyterna, Joni Keskinen - Kumla, Mäkinen - MSF*

Doesn't that add up to 9? :D

* stands for unknown... Situations yet to develope in to confirmations.

Thanks for that f-s-p.

You could actaully put together quite a competitive side there, with Makinen, Keskinen, Lahti, Reima, Hautamaki, Makela, Palomaki all riding at a level of Swedish Division 1 (comparible with the UK Conference League) or above.

I have heard some good stories about Jari Makinen from some Swedish friends and having seen Reima and Makela at last years World Cup, i think they could hold their own with some lower averaged Premier League riders.

Very interesting!

I know Reima and Hautamäki have been offered a team place in the Premiere league. For Reima it was maybe 5 years ago and for Hautamäki maybe 2-3 years ago. They decided not to try, thats why I'm not sending them to a tour of your description.

Only way I'd see it beneficial for Finnish speedway is to send a U21 team. But honestly we cant send a team with 7 riders.

- Mäkinen and Lahti are the sort of riders I'd send. Young with ambition and goals.

- Keskinen sometimes, but cant see him adjusting quick enough. He also still has issues with crash he did a few years ago.

- Heikkilä.. cant see him making an impression.

- Mustonen is no longer making the effort's he did in 80 cc.

- Autio might make an impression, but isn't that well equipped and is totally lost on new tracks at first. He needs some guidance, but dont know if he's getting it.

- Kalle Kivistö is someone who surprised me last year. He faded a bit as the season went ahead. But showed some move's that indicated he might be worth following. Dont know how well he's equipped, but needs someone to guide him. They have guys like that in his club, but it's not up to me to check. :)

I might seem a bit harsh, but cant see any good in telling these guys everything is fine if they if things clearly arent.

I agree totally. I think many of us are guilty of building riders up in terms of their ability and we believe that they can go further than what they will in reality.

Having read some of your earlier posts, it looks as though the Finnish governing body need to sort out their domestic racing before they can really start to improve the talent they already have.

Hopefully we will see Finland qualify for the World Cup again this year and maybe prompt more positive activity back in Finland.

Hopefully we will see Finland qualify for the World Cup again this year and maybe prompt more positive activity back in Finland.

Have to disagree with that.Hopefully we will see Germany advance to Vojens,not only so that i can see them go up against the top nations,but it might be better for the cash registers :D Sorry f-s-p ;)

Have to disagree with that.Hopefully we will see Germany advance to Vojens,not only so that i can see them go up against the top nations,but it might be better for the cash registers :D Sorry f-s-p ;)

The fact that the Germans are riding at their hometrack in Abensberg is well reqocnised over here. But if we have Kylmäkorpi and Laukkanen both healthy, I think they will score around 25 between them. Nieminen will take around ten (have you been checking his scores lately? WOW!) and that leaves another ten for the two from Hautamäki/Reima/Palomäki. Thats 45 and we're easily through! :approve:

Last year it was FIN 42 - GER 39+3 - RUS 39+2 - LAT 30 with Laukkanen 11, Joonas 12, Nemo 8, Hautamäki 5 and Reima 6.

Yes,your top 3 should outscore Germany.I hope that overall Germany just make it.To be honest i don't think they do themsleves any favours by hosting these meetings at Abensberg.A track that hardly any of the riders ride more than once per season.i would have thought it far better for Germany's prospects to host it somewhere that at least 2 or 3 ride very regularly and well.Diedenbergen,Teterow or maybe Güstrow.But that is speedway.Hope all teams are full strength and the best one wins.

Whoever gets through isn't likely to pick up many points in the next round,just like last year

Edited by iris123

I know Reima and Hautamäki have been offered a team place in the Premiere league. For Reima it was maybe 5 years ago and for Hautamäki maybe 2-3 years ago. They decided not to try, thats why I'm not sending them to a tour of your description.

Only way I'd see it beneficial for Finnish speedway is to send a U21 team. But honestly we cant send a team with 7 riders.

- Mäkinen and Lahti are the sort of riders I'd send. Young with ambition and goals.

- Keskinen sometimes, but cant see him adjusting quick enough. He also still has issues with crash he did a few years ago.

- Heikkilä.. cant see him making an impression.

- Mustonen is no longer making the effort's he did in 80 cc.

- Autio might make an impression, but isn't that well equipped and is totally lost on new tracks at first. He needs some guidance, but dont know if he's getting it.

- Kalle Kivistö is someone who surprised me last year. He faded a bit as the season went ahead. But showed some move's that indicated he might be worth following. Dont know how well he's equipped, but needs someone to guide him. They have guys like that in his club, but it's not up to me to check.  :)

I might seem a bit harsh, but cant see any good in telling these guys everything is fine if they if things clearly arent.

Is Hautamki, any relation to the rider who rode in the British League in the 70's Pekka.

Is Hautamki, any relation to the rider who rode in the British League in the 70's Pekka.

Not in any way. Hautamäki is a common surname in that area.

Pekka Hautamäki is a firefighter in the Seinäjoki region nowadays.

On the subject of Finnish riders, saw Kauko Nieminen tonight at Birmingham. Although he didn't win a race he was so entertaining. Very fast and tried loads of different lines. Along with Kenneth Hansen was the most entertaining rider on show.

Top stuff!

Much better than Kaj Laukkanen two days ago at Wolves who after a great first ride win (although against the Wolves reserves), was awful for the rest of the meeting.

Not in any way. Hautamäki is a common surname in that area.

Pekka Hautamäki is a firefighter in the Seinäjoki region nowadays.

I remember him well start out at Belle Vue, I think but ended his career at Cradley Heath if I remember rightly.

Antti Aakko and Tommy Flyktman are currently training in the North of Sweden. probably Arjeplog.

Loads of riders were at Hyvinkää training today. At the same time the Extraliiga "conference" was held here in Tampere. A lot of confusion was surrounding the Extraliiga and hence all speedway, since nothing had been heard after the conference in November. Then all of a sudden there was a calender out a month ago that went against most of the decisions made.

Then on top of that, there was a point when there were five different calendars out, yet the man in charge of the calender had not sent but one, and that was supposed to be just an early draft!

Today, after an hour of "we thought - you said - he said - they said - it said - I heard" a decision was made, that the Finnish Extraliiga Championship will be decided by a 12 round series. No finals will be ridden. This was in practice already decided in November, but somehow things werent clear anymore yesterday.

the Joker-rule will apply as in SWC. No guest's, 4 man teams with 4 teams a meeting, pretty much as it was last year. GOOD! :approve:

Extraliiga Calendar for 2007

Spring round

19.5. Pori................ Paholaiset - Jokerit - Kotkat - Haukat

20.5. Kauhajoki....... Jokerit - Kopparberg - Paholaiset - Keittiöpiste

3.6. Seinäjoki.......... Kotkat - Keittiöpiste - Kopparberg - Haukat

26.6. Vaasa............. Kopparberg - Paholaiset - Jokerit - Kotkat

1.7. Lahti................. Haukat - Paholaiset - Kopparberg - Keittiöpiste

21.7. Kuusankoski.... Keittiöpiste - Jokerit - Kotkat - Haukat

Autumn round

22.7. Seinäjoki......... Kotkat - Keittiöpiste - Paholaiset - Jokerit

27.7. Pori................. Paholaiset - Kopparberg - Keittiöpiste - Kotkat

28.7. Kauhajoki........ Jokerit - Paholaiset - Kotkat - Haukat

3.8. Vaasa............... Kopparberg - Keittiöpiste - Jokerit - Haukat

12.8. Lahti............... Haukat - Jokerit - Kotkat - Kopparberg

19.8. Kuusankoski.... Keittiöpiste - Kopparberg - Paholaiset - Haukat

Haukat stands for Hawk's from Lahti, Kotkat/Eagles-Seinäjoki, Paholaiset/Devils-Pori, Jokerit/Joker's-Kauhajoki, Kopparberg (-Vaasa) is a cider brand (bought the name) and Keittiöpiste (-Kuusankoski) sell's kitchen furniture (bought the name). The (actual) team names are traditional, only the Jokers are new since they've only had their track since last year.

Finnish Individual final at Kuusankoski 17.6.2007

Pairs Championship at Lahti 4.8.2007

Kemppi Speedway at Lahti 10.6.2007 (traditional Finnish meeting, winner takes home a welding machine for the 30th time this year. Kemppi also sponsors in F1 this year!)

2nd Kauhajoki Speedway at Kauhajoki 30.6.2007

Finnish Individual Longtrack Final 25.8.2007

Kauniskangas Open at Haapajärvi 2.6.2007 (50 year Anniversary meeting for the local club)

U21 Finnish final at Seinäjoki 7.7.2007

Seinäjoki Speedway 18.7.2007

Edited by f-s-p

yes i was offered place in Glasgow, they gave me call in tuesday and told that i need to be there in saturday, but i had some meetings before thursday sweden, friday danmark,saturday poland (world cup). so i told that i can be there in sunday but it wasn´t enough. so i didn´t decided to say no. :wink::wink:

yes i was offered place in Glasgow, they gave me call in tuesday and told that i need to be there in saturday, but i had some meetings before thursday sweden, friday danmark,saturday poland (world cup). so i told that i can be there in sunday but it wasn´t enough. so i didn´t decided to say no. :wink:  :wink:

:lol::approve: