British Speedway Forum
czechhero

George Newton

Can anyone help with any pictures or info on George Newton, please? The particular pic I'm looking for is of Wee George in action at Fleetwood, if anyone has a copy of the excellent Cyril May's "Ride It, The Complete Book of Speedway" it is on page 122.

Thank you.

I haven't got that book but if it is the photo of George leg-trailing with his front wheel in the air it was on the front of the Stenners Annual dated 1950.

It is also on the "Name the Rider" section of the excellent Newcastle History Website. The photo was actually taken at the Newcastle track I believe.

George rode for New Cross, Crystal Palace, Fleetwood, Walthamstow and St Austell as far as I know. He held the Norwich Firs Stadium track record for some years before and after the War (74.0). He suffered from ill health for many years and the seasons he missed would have been his peak years. When he retired from riding he went on to become team-manager of the St Austell Gulls.

Jim Blanchard and Norbold are New Cross fans and may be able to help with this request for a photo.

Edited by star ghost

I always thought that George Newton was killed in a track crash in the early 1950's when he was way into his 40's.

Edited by 25yearfan

George Newton was born on 27 January 1913 in Aldershot. On his very first appearance for Crystal Palace as a 19 year old reserve he equalled Vic Huxley's track record at West Ham, but it was a bit of a one-off and he didn't progress as expected. He was sent down to Eastbourne to learn his craft before returning to New Cross in 1934. He was a useful second-string but by 1936 was a top class heat leader. He rode in the Star Riders' Championship Final in 1934 and in all three World Finals, 1936-38. He also reprsented England in Test matches against Australia. In 1938 he contracted tuberculosis and had a lung removed. It was thought that would be the end of his career, but, amazingly, in 1948 he made a comeback with New Cross. He was then struck down by an abdominal complaint and was out again for a while. He returned to the track in 1949 riding for second division Fleetwood. In 1950 he moved to Walthamstow and in 1951 to Liverpool. He began 1952 with Liverpool but moved to St Austell later in the year. At the end of 1952 he retired and in 1953 was appointed manager of St Austell.

He is said to have been one of the most spectacular riders of all time and continued leg-trailing to the end. He was also one of the bravest coming back from his illness to once again become a force in speedway, albeit in the seond division.

I'm not sure when/where he died but it wasn't on the track.

I always thought that George Newton was killed in a track crash in the early 1950's when he was way into his 40's.

I now realise that I got George Newton mixed up with Joe Abbot a guy who rode for many years and way into his 40's when he was killed on track at Bradfords Odsal circuit.

George Newton was born on 27 January 1913 in Aldershot. On his very first appearance for Crystal Palace as a 19 year old reserve he equalled Vic Huxley's track record at West Ham, but it was a bit of a one-off and he didn't progress as expected. He was sent down to Eastbourne to learn his craft before returning to New Cross in 1934. He was a useful second-string but by 1936 was a top class heat leader. He rode in the Star Riders' Championship Final in 1934 and in all three World Finals, 1936-38. He also reprsented England in Test matches against Australia. In 1938 he contracted tuberculosis and had a lung removed. It was thought that would be the end of his career, but, amazingly, in 1948 he made a comeback with New Cross. He was then struck down by an abdominal complaint and was out again for a while. He returned to the track in 1949 riding for second division Fleetwood. In 1950 he moved to Walthamstow and in 1951 to Liverpool. He began 1952 with Liverpool but moved to St Austell later in the year. At the end of 1952 he retired and in 1953 was appointed manager of St Austell.

He is said to have been one of the most spectacular riders of all time and continued leg-trailing to the end. He was also one of the bravest coming back from his illness to once again become a force in speedway, albeit in the seond division.

I'm not sure when/where he died but it wasn't on the track.

And his brother Len lives in bexhill on Sea- Sussex.

A man claiming to be called George Newton worked in some capacity at Bristol Eastville stadium in 1977/78 and is illustrated in a handbook of the time.

i read in speedway star he had tuberculosis and had a lung taken out he made a comeback with one lung and was still a top line second division rider then he quit i believe he died of tuberculosis in his 40's or 50's

Bit of trivia: he was in 1st ever world championship race in 1936 at Wembley

If i am completely wrong sorry but i am only 15 :)

Edited by RocketBen1

i read in speedway star he had tuberculosis and had a lung taken out he made a comeback with one lung and was still a top line second division rider then he quit i believe he died of tuberculosis in his 40's or 50's

Bit of trivia: he was in 1st ever world championship race in 1936 at Wembley

If i am completely wrong sorry but i am only 15 :)

You are right, because I said all that above!!!

Thanks for the help with this, everyone. I'm a friend of Derek Timms, who rode with George at St Austell. He told me some great stories about his riding exploits.

Cheers all. :D

Thanks for the help with this, everyone. I'm a friend of Derek Timms, who rode with George at St Austell. He told me some great stories about his riding exploits.

Cheers all.  :D

Well let Derek know I am still in contact with Georges brother.

Was this the first Championship Final race

Or was it the first World Championship race which would have been a qualifying round somewhere

ha ha ha

Was this the first Championship Final race

Or was it the first World Championship race which would have been a qualifying round somewhere

ha ha ha

well thats a bit petty considering my age it would surprise most people that i knew of George Newton before i read this thread and yes it was the 1st World championship final race Just for you star ghost here is George's Scorecard

Points Total Bonus Points Overall

F 0 3 1 0 4 12 16

George finished 9th out of 16