British Speedway Forum
Kent Boy

Former Crayford Riders

With no Website for the Crayford Kestrels ever taken off. What are any of their former riders up to these days.

Well for starters Kent Boy, welcome to the forum and I can bring you news on one or two.

"Gentleman" George Barclay, as everyone on here will know, has been working tirelessly over the past two years or so to raise funds to enable the dream of a Speedway Museum come to fruition and the dream will be coming true sometime next year.

I see Pete Wigley once a year when he comes over to the Isle of Wight with his missus Chris - Pete works for the GPO.

Paul Whittaker was doing some long distance lorry driving when he phoned me last.

So that's the thread begun...be interesting to hear from anybody else on the subject and I'll post more in due course but, right now, I need a beer as it's 36C here at 10.30am in the morn!

Kevin Teager is now in car racing, driving non-contact Stock Rods and 2-litre Hot Rods.

Besides Crayford, he also had a spell at Wimbledon - among other tracks. And it's at Wimbledon Stadium - among other circuits - that he also races and wins in cars these days.

With no Website for the Crayford Kestrels ever taken off.

If there is anyone out there with the time and knowhow to do one I can help out with photos.

If there is anyone out there with the time and knowhow to do one I can help out with photos.

Both myself & Steve Eversfield are working on the project: I think Steve knows how to set up the site and both he & I have plenty of photos and info. for it.

Just finding the time is the prob..!!!

Your help, Brian (and of course anyone else's) will be much appreciated..!

Am about to change my ISP so when I have new email address will give you this, Brian, in a PM..

BTW, there is an issue of the Defunct Speedway Tracks series devoted to Crayford. 24 pages full of facts, figures and pix and a full narrative dealing with the history of Crayford Speedway.

Available from Speed-Away Promotions – email oriolecy@btinternet.com or ‘phone 01253 733288.

That book refers to a web-site that I started with my daughter’ help but which hasn’t got very far (and will be replaced by Steve’s one in due course). To see what are literally a handful of pix on that site visit, www.Crayford-Speedway.piczo.com

Just thinking, with Moggo now retired, I believe we have no more former Crayford riders in action. Andy Galvin would have been the last before Moggo. Oh, and Bryn, I don't think that Paul Whittaker ever rode for Crayford.

Steve

Oh, and Bryn, I don't think that Paul Whittaker ever rode for Crayford.

Hmm, that's true.. You'll have to forgive the old fella..: but when you start on your first Bundy before 11am wot can one expect..??!! ;)

Paul Whittaker, though, does have the distinction of being the last rider ever to have appeared at Crayford Stadium..: riding a few demonstration laps aged just 15 after the final meeting there in October 1983.

Like Mark Loram after him, Paul qualifies (in my mind at least..!!) as the great Crayford discoveries that never were...!!!! :blink:

Paul's brother Mark also second halved at Canterbury. Should we not class Andy Galvin, Mark Loram, Paul Whittaker and David Mullett as Iwade proteges?

Should we not class Andy Galvin, Mark Loram, Paul Whittaker and David Mullett as Iwade proteges?

Yep..: I'd say that's right..

Mind you, in Andy's day there was an arrangement between Crayford & Iwade which saw the Old Gun Site club as an official 'nursery' for the Kestrels - so on that basis I'd say Mr. Galvin can be claimed as Crayford's own...

What became of Alan Sage and Laurie Etheridge? Entertaining riders in their day - remember both putting up a good fight at Ellesmere Port (or was it Stoke?) one year in the early 70s.

What became of Alan Sage and Laurie Etheridge?  Entertaining riders in their day - remember both putting up a good fight at Ellesmere Port (or was it Stoke?) one year in the early 70s.

'

I met Laurie at the Hackney 'Friday at 8' Reunion last year, he signed a few old pics for me. I reminded him that the last time I asked for his autograph was 30 years ago. I think it made him feel old, it certainly made me feel old anyway! :)

Hmm, that's true..  You'll have to forgive the old fella..: but when you start on your first Bundy before 11am wot can one expect..??!! ;)

Paul Whittaker, though, does have the distinction of being the last rider ever to have appeared at Crayford Stadium..: riding a few demonstration laps aged just 15 after the final meeting there in October 1983.

Like Mark Loram after him, Paul qualifies (in my mind at least..!!) as the great Crayford discoveries that never were...!!!! :blink:

It is not the bundy, it is the coke that does it...........lol

Which included Brad Dowsett, Richard Newnham, Keith Cornell, Nick Smith and Mark Terry. What ever happened to them :blink:

Keith Cornell nows runs a successful waste management company in Ashford, and sponsored the Bonfire Burnup at Collier Street.