British Speedway Forum
Kent Boy

Former Crayford Riders

If my memory serves me right he had second halves at Canterbury and Crayford without making the first bend :cry: Proves that you can make it after the first bend :rolleyes:

Derek Timms was at the Brummies' Public Meeting a couple of weeks back and is looking forward to the team's return next year.

In fact I bumped into him in Asda on Sunday and I pointed out to him that as he and his wife are retired, that's the last place he should be on a Sunday afternoon!

If my memory serves me right he had second halves at Canterbury and Crayford without making the first bend :cry: Proves that you can make it after the first bend :rolleyes:

:D To be fair he did actually have two senior appearances for the Kestrels too.

I stand corrected. Do you have the details of the two meetings please Kev. :)

All I have is

1981 - 1 match ridden, two rides, zero points (Away @ Canterbury on 7/11)

1982 - 1 match ridden, two rides, zero points (Unknown)

You can't knock his consistency. :wink:

All I have is

1981 - 1 match ridden, two rides, zero points (Away @ Canterbury on 7/11)

1982 - 1 match ridden, two rides, zero points (Unknown)

You can't knock his consistency. :wink:

Well, this is certainly news to me..!!!!

Neither could've been League fixtures as Martin Goodwin defo didn't appear for the Kestrels in any NL matches.

Late in November in '81 must have been a leg of the Kent/Herts Trophy: a 'triangle-event' with a traditionally uninspired name involving, er, the two Kent sides and that bunch from Herts!!!

Does seem a tad early in Martin's career though, as he didn't made a pukka debut until Arena Essex did in '84..

We need help from the boyo Williams here...!!! :unsure:

EDIT:

Or are we talking about Keith Cornell here..?? He DID have two NL matches in '81 & '82 without scoring. I'm confused!!!!!! ;)

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

On the subject of the greatest living Kentishman, Sagey..

My pal, namesake and near neighbour (he keeps telling people he's my grand-father but then they retort I look older than 'im..!!! :D ), 'Gentleman' George Barclay told me the other day that Alan was round his gaf (as we say here in Dagenham!!!!) the other day fixing, I think it was the boiler..: or perhaps another plumbing job...

Am hoping to organise a Crayford reunion (along the lines of the one expertly put together by shazzy bird the season before last..) at the Old Gun Site sometime this summer.

Bryn tells me a regular visitor there is Jack Bibby but that he's lost his flowing locks and so difficult to recognise..

I don't know, premature hair loss..?? Might happen to me one day!!?? :D:D

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

I wonder if Kev is getting mixed up with Keith Cornell who made two NL appearances for the Kestrels.I know one was at Oxford not sure of the other one. :unsure:

I wonder if Kev is getting mixed up with Keith Cornell who made two NL appearances for the Kestrels.I know one was at Oxford  not sure of the other one. :unsure:

Erm, well yeah, I was talking about Keith KB, I thought that was what you asked.

Oh well, confused you and me both Parsloes. :lol:

QUOTE(spin king @ Dec 18 2006, 08:56 PM)

Did Martin Goodwin ever ride for Crayford?

Nope!

QUOTE(Kent Boy @ Dec 19 2006, 12:32 AM)

quote=KevH,Dec 19 2006, 08:48 PM]

:D To be fair he did actually have two senior appearances for the Kestrels too.

Er, this was your posting, Kev following on from the chain above….

Perhaps no wonder that KB and I both assumed you were talking about Martin Goodwin…??!! :unsure:;)

Which included Brad Dowsett, Richard Newnham, Keith Cornell, Nick Smith and Mark Terry. What ever happened to them :blink:

Putting aside the controversy of 'Goodwingate' ;) , there are a few obscure-ish names in that list, KB..!!

Here’s a challenge..: what about, whatever happened to the 14 riders in Highwaymen/Kestrels history with three or fewer league appearances..??!

You’ve already mentioned Richard Newnham and Keith Cornell with just two official appearances each as Kestrels; as did Richard Willis in ‘75. In the earlier incarnation, someone called Ian Spencer appeared twice for the Highwaymen..: did he pop up later at Kingsmead..??

Those with three appearances only are Tony Brooks and three far more famous names: Arthur Price who went onto to win the Second Division Riders champs with Boston; Dingle Brown ( a recent associate of mine in Womble-land but soon, I hear, heading for sunnier climes..!!) and the late Vic Harding.

There were a handful riders in Crayford league history with just a solitary appearance to their names. Anyone know what happened to this famous (or maybe not so..!!) five: Peter Gay, Cyril Hathaway, Terry Barclay, Nigel Sparshott and Ian Fletcher. I can fill in details of Terry..: he’s one of the brave boys in blue in Sussex. No, not a Brighton & Hove Albion footballer…!!!!

Which leaves just one on the list and this is THE enigma I’ve puzzled over for over thirty years!!

In the Kestrels’ opening two matches in ’75 (away at Crewe, home to Boston) the rider at number seven (scoreless in both matches) was named as Dave Howard.

Yet when the team photo was taken at that same opening NNL home fixture the guy wearing the no. 7 race-jacket is most certainly the rider who appeared there for most of the rest of that opening season, Bill Archer.

Whilst I can understand why Howard lost his slot to Archer, I could never fathom out how come the team photo taken that day before the match included Bill and not Dave Howard..!! And I seem to recall when the Star printed the team pic on the inside back cover some weeks later he was named as Howard.

I’ve always wondered, were they, in fact ,one & the same person; and for some reason Archer called himself Howard in those first two matches…!!

Any thoughts..??!!

On the subject of the greatest living Kentishman, Sagey..

My pal, namesake and near neighbour (he keeps telling people he's my grand-father but then they retort I look older than 'im..!!! :D ), 'Gentleman' George Barclay told me the other day that Alan was round his gaf (as we say here in Dagenham!!!!) the other day fixing, I think it was the boiler..: or perhaps another plumbing job...

Am hoping to organise a Crayford reunion (along the lines of the one expertly put together by shazzy bird the season before last..) at the Old Gun Site sometime this summer.

Bryn tells me a regular visitor there is Jack Bibby but that he's lost his flowing locks and so difficult to recognise..

I don't know, premature hair loss..??  Might happen to me one day!!?? :D  :D

I take it this is Jack Bibby Mark Two and not the Australian rider of that name?

Nigel Sparshott went on to have a good speedway career with numerous clubs before sadly being killed in a car accident. Ian Fletcher had brief spells with Canterbury and Eastbourne. Whatever happened to riders who appeared in more appearances ie Les 'Red' Ott, Richard Davey, JOhn Hooper but were never the highest of scorers.