British Speedway Forum
Kent Boy

Former Crayford Riders

Nigel Sparshott rode for Kings Lynn in the top division for some time and was a rider who might have done even better as I think he was held back by using inferior equipment.

Richard Davey was a Kings Lynn trainee who rode numerous matches for Crayford.

Peter Gay was, I think, a Coventry junior when he started out in Speedway along with Les Owen and Wee Bill McGregor.

Jack Bibby was not the same rider who rode for Sheffield in the 40's.

This Jack Bibby was in the same Anglian Junior League team as Nigel Sparshott for Crayford.

Edited by star ghost

Pete Gay did start with Norm Unger and Wee Mcgregor at Coventry. At sometime, either late 1950s or early 1960s, they also raced in France for the Victor Boston Troupe. They were later followed by George Bason, Pete Rogers, Geoff Harris and Stan Tebby.

What's this got to do with Crayford? Well Bason, along with Mick Mitchell and Keith Harvey, I was nonce told, raced 'on a speedway at Crayford' in 1938 or 1939.

Nigel Sparshott went on to have a good speedway career with numerous clubs before sadly being killed in a car accident. Ian Fletcher had brief spells with Canterbury and Eastbourne. Whatever happened to riders who appeared in more appearances ie Les 'Red' Ott, Richard Davey, John Hooper but were never the highest of scorers.

That's awful: I never knew that Nigel had been killed.. When was this??

John Hooper was a great fav. of mine back in the late '70s. He actually made 135 appearances for Crayford: his only club, I think... Richard Davey is 4th. in the all-time appearance list, one place ahead of Hooper.

'Red' Ott on the other hand, managed only eight appearances for the Kestrels..: memorable more for his name than any exploits on the track... I can't recall Les riding again after that early season spell with Crayford in '75, though he was into other motor sport so maybe that took his attentions..??

I’ll ask George, as I understand Ott at the time they rode together for the Kestrels worked for him…

Nigel was killed about 6 or 7 years ago although im sure somebody has the exact date. John Hooper has been seen watching Whitstable Town in the Kent League as his son is playing for the Under 18 side.Another rider i remember that nobody has mentioned is Garry May who also had a spell with Weymouth.

1980 Trackstar Anglia Junior League Averages

Tony Brooks 13 26 48 2 50 7.69

Chris Tritton 12 22 22 9 31 5.64

Martin Goodwin 10 19 22 2 24 5.05

Also Rode

Mike Pither 2 4 11 0 11 11.00

Paul Hollingsbee 4 8 18 0 18 9.00

Keith Pritchard 1 2 3 1 4 8.00

Jack Bibby 3 6 8 1 9 6.00

Steve Brooker 1 2 1 1 2 4.00

Dean Barton 2 2 0 0 0 0.00

WHERE ARE THEY NOW?

1980 Trackstar Anglia Junior League Averages

Tony Brooks            13  26  48  2  50    7.69

etc., etc.

I'm massively impressed KB!!

Have you similar for '83 when the Mighty (Junior) Kestrels actually won this competition..??!!

Incidentally, that fella over in Oz surrounded by an ever-growing pile of empty beer-cans, might like to note that his then club managed to track sides in a southern-based Junior League competition WITHOUT putting in established League riders and Kiwi mercenaries and still came out on top..!!??

Times sure have changed..!!! ;):lol:

alan johns is still doing things with motorcycles having spoken to rory austin not sure where though

all the best keith

Is this the same Rory Austin who rode in the secomd halves at Canterbury around 1977 or 78. Where and what is he doing these days?

Is this the same Rory Austin who rode in the secomd halves at Canterbury around 1977 or 78. Where and what is he doing these days?

YES IT IS THE SAME RORY HE IS A TILER BY TRADE HIS OWN FIRM,HE HAS GOT A BIKE AND IS GOING TO SITTINGBOURNE SOME TIME THIS YEAR,HE IS A GOOD FRIEND OF NMINE KNOW HIM FOR YEARS.

ALL THE BEST KEITH

Just come across the names of Trevor Barnwell, Gary May and Roy Barwick anyone remember them?

i remember gary may he usead to be in the grass track club i rode in i think his brother was kevin.

all the best keith