British Speedway Forum
Kent Boy

Former Crayford Riders

Chris Tritton went on to have a very successful grasstrack career before retiring in 1999 after a serious accident. He now works as a courier and still lives in the Canterbury area.

I know this because I'm married to him!!!

I know he would be very interested if a Crayford reunion goes ahead this year.

Trevor Barnwell was my early fav in the Kestrels’ first season: he had a terrifically exciting around the boards style and I remember him getting a full maximum in our first home match and then winning the All Star Pairs partnering Laurie Etheridge. Trev had started at Canterbury and I think came from Kent..?

He packed up (I suppose thru’ injury..??) in ’76 but actually made a surprise return in ’80-’82.

In total he rode 71 matches for Crayford with an average (brought down by those later years, I’d say) of 6.30.

Roy Barwick began, I think, as a Wimbledon second-halfer. I remember him as being very tall and that never helps in Speedway does it..?? His record was six matches at the back end of ’75 and very beginning of ’76: average was 3.29.

Garry May either came from or went to Weymouth, I think. He rode 18 times for the Kestrels in ’77-’78 – average: 3.93.

Good to hear about Chris Tritton..: I’ve a photo that Bryn has id’ed as Chris receiving the Young Rider of the Year award in around ’79 0r ’80..?? Mind you, Bryn didn’t have his specs on when he looked at this pic..: he did pick out his then mother-in-law as doing the presentation..: but then the image of a mother-in-law is always etched on the memory!!! ;)

Chris rode 18 league matches in total – average: 3.17.

If you PM me I’d happily send the photo.. And look forward to meeting Chris at the reunion later this year..

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

Chris Tritton went on to have a very successful grasstrack career before retiring in 1999 after a serious accident.  He now works as a courier and still lives in the Canterbury area.

I know this because I'm married to him!!!

I know he would be very interested if a Crayford reunion goes ahead this year.

say hi to chris for me please i remember him the south eastern grass track junoirs and the kygtra club as well thanks

keith yorke

Looking at a prog. from the 1982 season I see that a second half rider at Crayford (alongside the likes of Trevor Banks and Nick Smith was a rider named Cliff Ott.

I wonder if he was any relation to Les of 'Red' nickname fame..??? :unsure:

Garry May either came from or went to Weymouth, I think.  He rode 18 times for the Kestrels in ’77-’78 – average: 3.93.

You obviously never bothered reading the Kestrel News that I used to slave over for hours producing on my cheapo portable typrewriter from W.H. Smiths Parsnips old fruit! :lol: If you had you'd have known that Garry May was actually a local rider living in Old Bexley at the time he rode for us. When he and the family moved to Dorset, the last I heard Garry was something to do with sea diving. Elder brother Graham was living in the Medway Towns last I heard and I'm not sure about the whereabouts of the third of the boys, Kevin who as the legend that is Yorky has said (I've had a couple of Bundys you might gather frojm that last bit!) has already said also had a dabble at speedway.

Haven't run into Mum Pat in the last few years on my visits to Poole where she and hubby Wally became fans following their move from Kent.

Surprised too that you didn't know that Cliff Ott was indeed a relative (cousin I believe) of Les.

And bearing in mind you saw TB as one of your early heroes, I take it you didn't frequent London Road in the Highwaymen days then? :unsure:

Edited by Bryn

You obviously never bothered reading the Kestrel News that I used to slave over for hours producing on my cheapo portable typrewriter from W.H. Smiths Parsnips old fruit!  :lol:  If you had you'd have known that Garry May was actually a local rider living in Old Bexley at the time he rode for us. When he and the family moved to Dorset, the last I heard Garry was something to do with sea diving. Elder brother Graham was living in the Medway Towns last I heard and I'm not sure about the whereabouts of the third of the boys, Kevin who as the legend that is Yorky has said (I've had a couple of Bundys you might gather frojm that last bit!) has already said also had a dabble at speedway.

Haven't run into Mum Pat in the last few years on my visits to Poole where she and hubby Wally became fans following their move from Kent.

Surprised too that you didn't know that Cliff Ott was indeed a relative (cousin I believe) of Les.

And bearing in mind you saw TB as one of your early heroes, I take it you didn't frequent London Road in the Highwaymen days then?  :unsure:

Cor blimey!! Now everyone can see what I have to put up when I give you a lift!!! And no, jokes from you please, norbold...!!!! ;)

It's good,though, that you've finally taken a break from the Bundy on the beach to add your long-requested contribution to this thread!!!

And no, I didn't watch the Highwaymen '68-'70..: you have to remember, I AM considerably younger than you.....!!!!!! ;)

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

Did Cliff Ott ever make an appearance for Crayford. I think his full name was Ottewell. Come on Bryn a list of the ones you know and what they are up to please.

Well I know Mike Spink is about as I ahd an e-mail from him today!

Did Cliff Ott ever make an appearance for Crayford. I think his full name was Ottewell. Come on Bryn a list of the ones you know and what they are up to please.

Cliff Ott never rode for the Crayford first team. Don't think he appeared for the Juniors either but could be wrong there..

So are we saying then that 'Red' Ott was in fact Les Ottewell..??!!!! Rather ruins his nickname..!! :blink:

Spink Canterbury or Spinks Crayford. Any chance of his email address?

Crayford, I will see what he says first.

Kent Boy - we are still attend the odd grasstrack but as far as I know Chris isn't in contact with the riders you mention.

Keith Yorke - Chris says hi, he remembers you from his junior days.

Kent Boy - we are still attend the odd grasstrack but as far as I know Chris isn't in contact with the riders you mention.

Keith Yorke - Chris says hi, he remembers you from his junior days.

thats good to hear i wish you both well.

all the best keith

Cliff Ott never rode for the Crayford first team.  Don't think he appeared for the Juniors either but could be wrong there..

So are we saying then that 'Red' Ott was in fact Les Ottewell..??!!!!  Rather ruins his nickname..!! :blink:

Cliff Ott's only League appearances were for Rye House in 1983.

5 matches (4 of which were away) for 2 points.