British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
idh

The County Ground (19th Dec)

They didn't hang around did they?

Must be heartbreaking for Falcons fans to see those photos. :cry:

I know what it was like when Powderhall closed and it lay derelict for a number of years. Used to walk over the bridge high above Powederhall and see it gradually decay and then eventually look like those photos of the County Ground. Still walk over that bridge to this day and think was could have been these past 10 years or so.

Hope you get sorted very soon.

Heartbreaking pics :cry: -Craig went last week and got some on his phone but weren't good enough to show.

Edited by Nevs

:cry::cry::cry:

Oh Nevs, these pics really are heartbreaking, makes you realise just how much ground it took up.

Good memories, happy days.

let's hope you don't have to wait for too much longer till the Falcons fly again.

bastards

great memories of the place.

still look at my webshots now and again to see what the place was like ... same with Canterbury.

bastards

great memories of the place.

still look at my webshots now and again to see what the place was like ... same with Canterbury.

But at least Exeter will rise from the ashes to a smaller and better raceway, whilst Canterbury will never see speedway again. However it would be great to speedway at Central Stadium in Sittingbourne as it is a great stadium and would be an ideal venue for EL action. Having said that; though it lacks a little in facilities the current Sittingbourne track is one of the best in Britain, maybe a little slick for top class riders these days though.

Best wishes,

Judy

Very Sad :cry:

To think all those times i went down there with Weymouth expecting my team to win then going home with my team well beaten and blaming the track

But when you really look at it did it really matter they were happy days really

Hope it not long before Exeter are kicking our asses again :D

Sad, sad, sad.

Reminds of driving past the remains of Perry Barr in the late 80s, it was 1990 when the stupid shopping centre opened, 6 years after the stadium shut.

Still Nevs, your time will come, I'm sure.

Yeah it will,fingers crossed

And at the end of the day the CG had outlived its useful life in terms of the stadium and facilities in terms of what consumers expect and the Rugby club were taking all the monies from bar takings etc whilst putting nothing back in in terms of facilities once they had got permission to relocate-(Thats just my personal opinion).

Hopefully Exeter will reopen again in 2008 and be in the Falcons own destiny-Even possible starting dates and times of tapes up were announced subject to planning--maybe not of quite the same size-but boy oh boy-when it does you just make sure you are there and the facilities that have been carefully thought out will make it worthwhile.

For those of you at The End of Era meeting who thought that was something else, just wait until the "Start Of A New Era" campaign :wink:

You dont spend the sort of shocking money Allen Trump has just spent and the follow up next summer on trying to get planning through unless you were in it for the long term imo and convinced it will happen.

Fingers crossed.

Edited by Nevs

Slightly disturbing news on the (Horse) Racing pages, Exeter racecourse has changed ownership. It has passed to the control of the Jockey Club, could this affect the speedway development.

However in the early 70s, The Midget Auto Racing Club had a deal all but signed to run an oval track at Sandown Park. The stumbling block was that the club were unable to provide weekly racing and on that it foundered.

Maybe a successful development at Exeter could open up many new venues such as York and Newmarket.

Just received this email from Allen Trump on the current position.

Thanks Allen.

"Could you wish everyone on the forum Season's Greetings from me, thanks.

Re the Exeter Racecourse takeover here is the current position.

I have today had a discussion with Mr Geoffrey Billson, Managing Director of

the racecourse regarding the reported takeover by RHT and he has assured me

that nothing will change in the relocation of Exeter Speedway to Haldon as a

result of the takeover. RHT is committed to maximising income from the

racecourse in exactly the same way as the old company was. Mr Billson

reiterated the racecourse's continuing support for the opening of the

Falcons at Haldon in April 2008. On a personal note I must say that Exeter

Racecourse were bitterly disappointed when we were unable to obtain planning

for next April and there is no doubt that the revenue from Exeter Speedway

is an important factor in their budget. We have an excellent relationship

with the Directors and other senior employees at Haldon who are 100% behind

us so it's business as usual to get the Falcons flying once again for 2008.

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

Allen

Just had a look at the photos and very sad to see, i only got the chance to visit once and enjoyed it very much, also the supporters were first class, very friendly people.

Hope to see the falcons fly again very soon.

Just seen the message from Allen Trump and am relieved by its contents.If ever a speedway project deserved to succeed this is the one. Looking forward to April 2008.