British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Perfect Night's Speedway

TRACK: Plough Lane, Wimbledon (should still be the shining beacon of London, and British, speedway)

1. Ronnie Moore

2. Jim Tebby

3. Tommy Jansson

4. Pete Murray

5. Trevor Hedge

6. Graeme Stapleton

7 Neil Cameron

opposition Reading Racers

1. Anders Michanek

2. Mick Bell

3. Dag Lovaas

4. Geoff Curtis

5. Bernie Leigh

6. Dickie May

7. Graeme Smith

Team Manager : Cyril Maidment

Result a 40-38 win for the Dons with a classic Tommy Jansson last bend pass in heat 13.

RACE NIGHT: Thursday

MARCH OUT MUSIC: Don't know the name, but the one they used to play at ABC Saturday morning Pictures

Oh, and it's 1972, and I'm 16 again, carefree and with hair. :lol:

TRACK Belle Vue Hyde Road :cry:

CAPTAIN Alan Wilkinson

OTHER RIDERS Peter Collins,Ivan Mauger,Larry Ross,Soren Sjosten,Ken Eyre,Kenny McKinna

PROMOTER Jack Fearnley

TEAM MANAGER Dent Oliver

ANNOUNCER Ken Wrench( Absolute Legend)

RACE NIGHT Saturday 7pm

MARCH OUT MUSIC I can't remember the name but the tune they used at Hyde road.?Blazeaway

:rolleyes:

Edited by pcthelegend

TRACK Belle Vue Hyde Road :cry:

CAPTAIN Alan Wilkinson

OTHER RIDERS Peter Collins,Ivan Mauger,Larry Ross,Soren Sjosten,Ken Eyre,Kenny McKinna

PROMOTER Jack Fearnley

TEAM MANAGER Dent Oliver

ANNOUNCER Ken Wrench( Absolute Legend)

RACE NIGHT Saturday 7pm

MARCH OUT MUSIC I can't remember the name but the tune they used at Hyde road.?Blazeaway

:rolleyes:

was it not the theme tune to the Magnificent 7.

was it not the theme tune to the Magnificent 7.

No.

Tokyo Melody would signal the start of the meeting and the track staff marched out to blazeway

Racer Don, I think I was there that night, If not then, other nights just like that. I was 18 with more hair also, and lots less weight.

But my fantasy meeting;

Track Arlington /Eastbourne.

Day Sunday afternoon 3.30pm

Team captain, Gordon Kennett

Other riders Paul Woods Martin Dugard Malcolm Simmons Kelly Moran Roger Johns Keith Pritchard Davy Kennett Tommy Jansson Barry Briggs Ole Olsen Ivan Mauger Peter Collins Larry Ross Kia Niemi , Think I got too many But this is my fantasy so butt out!! Oh!! and Ronnie Moore and Phil Crump and how could I forget steady Eddie Jancarz If the polish authorites let him get there on time. :rolleyes:

Referee; Frank Ebdon, if only to sort out the mess of over booked amount of riders.

Announcer: Not keen on any really, Mike Bennett was a revelation after years of Ken Tozer

I quite like Bryn Williams.

Promotor; Bob( its my track I'll do it my way) Dugard

The weather would be sunny not to humid (just enough to keep the Bars going)

Of course Ebdon would ensure the meeting progressed at a reasonable speed.

Then into Hastings, find me and the missis's favourite fish restuarant, and have a nice supper before the long drive back home.

No.

Tokyo Melody would signal the start of the meeting and the track staff marched out to blazeway

M7 must of been the theme tune the aces came out to do a lap of honour to when we won.

Yep Tokyo Melody was just before start of meeting, track staff marched out to Blazeaway and the Belle Vue team came out to Magnificent Seven on parade.

Edited by Rob B

It has to be Hyde Road on a summers evening in the very early seventies. I can still remember the smell of the place and the dust. There was a gang of around 15 of us all around the ages of 13 and 14. There was a rival gang lead by Duncan Meredith, later to ride for Ellesmere Port. We eventually became good friends - although I have not seen him for about 30 flippin years. I'm going on a bit so I'll get to the point.

The perfect nights speedway would have to be exactly as it was then so:

Track: The previously mentioned Hyde Road.

Race Night: Saturday

Team: Ivan Mauger, Soren Sjosten, Tommy Roper, Dave Hemus, Chris Pusey, Ken Eyre, Eric Broadbent.

Promotor: I can't remember who it was.

Manager: Was it Dent Oliver?

Announcer: Was it Bernard Tennent?

March Music: Again I'm not sure of the title. However, we would all sing a delightful rendition of something called Mary The Cripple to the music as the

chaps it white overalls marched, and I use the word very loosely, over to the pits.

Track Brandon Coventry

Start time 7.30 Saturday

Team Nigel Boocock, Rick France, Les Owen, Ron Mountford, Tom Ridley, Tony Lomas , John Harrhy

March out music Imperial echoes /flight of the bumble bee

Team manager MIck Blackburn

Promoter Charles Ochiltree

Announcer Peter Morrish

Bikes to be brought onto track by pushers wearing colour coded overalls and berets . riders walk out to them.

Most important The opposition .......Leicester..... featuring Ray Wilson and John Boulger

Attendance 5000 3500 Coventry 1500 Leicester

Result 40-38 Boocock maximum

Golden helmet Boocock retains golden helmet by beating challenger Wilson

Closing Music May each day in the week ,Andy Williams

TRACK: Oxford

CAPTAIN: Hans Nielsen

OTHER RIDERS WHO HAD TO BE IN THE TEAM (assume they are at their peak): Gordon Kennett, Dag Lovaas, Marvyn Cox, Hasse Holmqvist, Malcolm Ballard, John Dews

PROMOTER: Bob Dugard

TEAM MANAGER: Roger Jones

ANNOUNCER: Was never too bothered

RACE NIGHT: Thursday 7.45, just a great atmosphere in the place and I knew whether at school or work that it was only one more day to weekend

MARCH OUT MUSIC: Never remember what they had in the 70's/80's but always amusing watching the track staff's attempts to march in time with what they were playing

It has to be Hyde Road on a summers evening in the very early seventies. I can still remember the smell of the place and the dust. There was a gang of around 15 of us all around the ages of 13 and 14. There was a rival gang lead by Duncan Meredith, later to ride for Ellesmere Port. We eventually became good friends - although I have not seen him for about 30 flippin years. I'm going on a bit so I'll get to the point.

The perfect nights speedway would have to be exactly as it was then so:

Track: The previously mentioned Hyde Road.

Race Night: Saturday

Team: Ivan Mauger, Soren Sjosten, Tommy Roper, Dave Hemus, Chris Pusey, Ken Eyre, Eric Broadbent.

It's Broadbelt

Promotor: I can't remember who it was.

Jack Fearnley

Manager: Was it Dent Oliver?

Yes in the very early seventies, followed by Frank Varey & then Eric Boocock

Announcer: Was it Bernard Tennent?

Yes until he was sadly killed in a car accident then Ken Wrench took over in 1973? if memory serves

March Music: Again I'm not sure of the title. However, we would all sing a delightful rendition of something called Mary The Cripple to the music as the

chaps it white overalls marched, and I use the word very loosely, over to the pits.

Tokyo melody signalled the start of the meeting followed by the track staff marching out to blazeaway

Edited by Jeff.

TRACK: Waterden Road, Hackney

CAPTAIN: Barry Thomas.

OTHER RIDERS WHO HAD TO BE IN THE TEAM (assume they are at their peak): Zenon Plech, Keith White, Vic Harding, Bobby McNeil, Bo Petersen, Roman Jankowski

Team Manager : Leaping Len/Me

RACE NIGHT: Friday at 8

MARCH OUT MUSIC: The Magnificent Seven theme tune - can be nothing else.

and of course Arthur seliing the Speedway Mail

I can't improve on this - this is Speedway heaven (well I'll add the fact that I'm wearing my replica Hawks racejacket which had to be removed by surgery!!!)

TRACK;- hyde road (belle vue)

PROMOTER;- jack fernley

RACE NIGHT;- saturday 7:00 (after watching clive lloyd scoring 100 not out at old trafford in the afternoon and a quick pint in the rock inn on hyde road) :approve:

MEETING;- belle vue aces vs sheffield/halifax select

TEAMS;- aces1 Ivan Mauger©, 2 Chris Pusey, 3 Soren Sjosten, 4 Alan Wilkinson, 5 Peter Collins, 6 Chris Morton, 7 Les Collins, 8 FEARLESS Phil Whitaker

select 1 Eric Boocook©, 2 Doug Wyer, 3 Jim Airey, 4 Shawn Moran, 5 Kenny Carter, 6 Charlie Monk, 7 Ian Cartwright, 8 Reg Wilson.

MANAGERS;- dent oliver & john dews.

ANNOUNCER;- bernard tennant with guest, doug adams, over from yorkshire.

RESULT;- 39-39 (after a last heat decider in which Sjosten and collins sweep around boocock on the last bend for a 5-1 to draw the match) :wink:

GOLDEN HELMET;- mauger beats airey.

MUSIC;- tokyo melody and blazeaway.

Edited by liverpool chad

Another 'Perfect Nights Speedway' to add to my post ealier today (hyde road)

TRACK;- dudley wood

PROMOTER;- dan mc cormack

RACE NIGHT;- saturday 7:30 (after watching dennis amiss scoring 100 not out at edgbaston in the afternoon and a quick pint in the victoria inn on dudley wood road) :approve:

MEETING;- cradley heath vs wolverhampton

TEAMS;- heathens, 1 Bernt Persson©, 2 Erik Gundersen, 3 John Boulger, 4 Alan Grahame, 5 Bruce Penhall, 6 Jan O Pedersen, 7 Steve Bastable, 8 Phil Collins.

wolverhampton wolves, 1 Ole Olsen©, 2 Jim Mc Millan, 3 Hans Nielsen, 4 George Hunter, 5 Dennis Sigalos, 6 Finn Thomsen, 7 Gary Peterson, 8 Sam Ermolenko :wink:

MANAGERS;-peter adams & mick blackburn.

ANNOUNCER;- laurence rogers

RESULT;- 39-39 (after johnny boulger splits olsen and hunter down the back straight only for olsen to come under him on scotsmans corner, then boulger switches back on the inside to pip him on the line on his way to a 15pt maximum) :wink:

GOLDEN HELMET;- johnny boulger beats ivan mauger(exeter falcons) 2-1 after beating mauger 2-0 at the county ground) :) "I WISH"

FOOD;- hot pork butties with crackling :approve:

FWIW.

TRACK;- Mildenhall

PROMOTER;- -

RACE NIGHT;- saturday 7:00

MEETING;- Mildenhall

TEAMS;- skip: Carter(eng), riders 2-6; Sanders (aus) G. Baxter (aus) Per Johnson (swe) Sam Ermolenko (usa) Michael Lee (eng) Rickardson (swe)

MANAGERS;- Phil Crump, Eric Gundersen

ANNOUNCER;-

RESULT;- ?

GOLDEN HELMET;- Penhall loses the sash. To Baxter in new track record.

MUSIC;- USA anthem.

Edited by dirt