British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Perfect Night's Speedway

That would be Dorothy Charles-Batson, who used to have letters published in Speedway Star.

I think she died in Merton in 1987.

Yes, that's right Ian. I had heard that Mrs. B had sadly died some years ago. What a character she was. She used to host an annual dinner and dance for the riders and supporters (think this was at The Fox and Hounds, Wimbledon?) and woe betide any rider who didn't turn up! They always did, though. She also used to arrange Ronnie Moore's trips "home" to Wimbledon. She must have spent a small fortune over the years supporting Wimbledon Speedway and commanded a great deal of respect amongst supporters, riders and the Wimbledon management.

That would be Dorothy Charles-Batson, who used to have letters published in Speedway Star.

I think she died in Merton in 1987.

Yes I remember Mrs Batson. A terrific Wimbledon fan. And wasn't her husband involved in midget car racing along with Percy Brine at some time in the late 1950s - believe they tested the car at Aldershot and also tried to match it against the more powerful Skirrows.

Sadl, they don't seem to have fans like Mrs Batson these days.

TRACK (can be defunct): the old blantyre greyhound stadium

WEATHER: warm summers evening

CAPTAIN: super stevie lawson (who else)

OTHER RIDERS WHO HAD TO BE IN THE TEAM (assume they are at their peak): merv janke, kenny mckinna, shane bowes, ray palmer, jason lyons, robert nagy

PROMOTER: neil mcfarlane/jimmy beaton (i know they werent everyones cup of tea but thats why i liked them)

TEAM MANAGER: ian steel (the man i first started buying old programmes from)

ANNOUNCER: dick barrie (not his greatest fan but he did get the crowd going and it would be interesting seeing him, mcfarlane, beaton and kenny mac in the same stadium)

RACE NIGHT: friday, 7.30

MARCH OUT MUSIC: the black bear

Beat that! i just did...

the only thing i would change is maybe the weather for some reason i used to love cold, dark and wet october nights especially at craighead park no cover and all snug with the hood up on my parker and walking down to the track hoping the striped flag was up on the pole which normally meant the meeting was on...happy days!

TRACK . . . . WHITE CITY

WEATHER . . . . . SUNNY after a previous days rain storm

CAPTAINS . . . . . SAM ERMOLENKO and HANS NIELSEN

OTHER RIDERS

. . . . . . USA . . . . . RONNIE CORREY, DENNIS SIGALOS, SHAWN MORAN, KELLY MORAN, BOBBY SCHWARTZ and SCOTT AUTREY . . (John Cook #8)

. . . . . . . REST OF THE WORLD . . . . DAVE JESSUP, OLE OLSEN, IVAN MAUGER, PETER COLLINS, PETER KARLSSON and TONY RICKARDSSON . . . (John Louis #8)

PROMOTERS . . . . . . . SAM ERMOLENKO, COLIN PRATT and CVS

TEAM MANAGERS . . . . . . . BRUCE PENHALL and COLIN PRATT. . . . ERIK GUNDERSEN and CHRIS MORTON

ANNOUNCER . . . . . . . DAVE LANNING

RACE NIGHT . . . . . . . . SATURDAY 7.30pm on a summers day

MARCH OUT MUSIC . . . . . FANFARE FOR THE COMMON MAN . . (Emerson Lake & Palmer)

Track Custom House

Race Night Tuesday...leave home just as the Coronation Street music started

Teams West Ham V The 'orible 'awks

Promoters Dave Lanning / Uncle Len

Captains Ken Mckinlay / Les The Atom bomb

Score 65 - 13 to the 'ammers

Magic moment....seeing uncle Len crying

All announced by Good old Ted Sear the best there has ever been

Edited by westhamboy66

track-stoke

capain-nigel crabtree

billy burton john jackson eric monaghan tom owen paul thorp paul stead

promoter-john dews

team manager -eric stead

announcer-laurence rogers

race night-7.30 saturday

track prep-john dews.

Track---------- Saddlebow Road, home of the King's Lynn Stars

Capt----------- Bettsy

Riders--------- Michael Lee, David Gagen, Richard Hellsen, Mick Poole, Stephen Davies & Bent Rasmussen No 8 Tiddler Turner!

Promoter------ Maury Littlechild (never knew him but by all accounts he was a good promoter)

Manager------- Maury again

Announcer---- Edwin Overland (not totally sure when he started at Lynn)

Track Prep---- Peter Whitby

Race night---- Sat @ 7.30

Music---------- the marching tunes they used to play will be my abiding memory of my early days at Lynn as well as a few of the pop songs.

Edited by Trees

TRACK: Reading (Tilehurst) - a track I never went to but have often tried to imagine. Would be great to go back in time and have a good look at Oxford Road at that time and see how the stadium looked. (Would love to see Custom House as well as a second choice).

CAPTAIN: Leigh Adams - the best I've ever known at Swindon.

OTHER RIDERS WHO HAD TO BE IN THE TEAM: Andrew Silver and Shawn McConnell for a start. To get another chance to see old favourites like Martin Ashby and Bob Kilby would also be a must. And wouldn't it be great to see Per Jonsson do jut one more stalk and pounce on the final bend race

PROMOTER: Avtar Sandhu - just to get him back into the sport.

TEAM MANAGER: Tim Sugar (there would, of course, have to be R/R and tactical substitutes a-plenty just so he could show his worth.

ANNOUNCER: Graham Guthrie - an announcer I've often heard about but never got to hear announcing. In fact, the very first meeting I attended at Swindon contained an statement that he had died.

RACE NIGHT: Saturday, 7.30. Sat in the back of my dad's car in a queue through Stratton St Margaret and having to get out early and run aross the field that is now becoming a by-pass in order to get a programme before they sold out.

MARCH OUT MUSIC: Oxygene by Jean Michelle Jarre - with lasers naturally.

Saturday night at Brandon V Cradley Heath needing & getting a 3-3 to win 40-38 BLISS!!!!!

TRACK: Waterden Road, Hackney

CAPTAIN: Barry Thomas.

OTHER RIDERS WHO HAD TO BE IN THE TEAM (assume they are at their peak): Zenon Plech, Keith White, Vic Harding, Bobby McNeil, Bo Petersen, Roman Jankowski

Team Manager : Leaping Len

RACE NIGHT: Friday at 8

MARCH OUT MUSIC: The Magnificent Seven theme tune - can be nothing else.

and of course Arthur seliing the Speedway Mail :lol:

TRACK . . . . WHITE CITY

WEATHER . . . . . SUNNY after a previous days rain storm

CAPTAINS . . . . . SAM ERMOLENKO and HANS NIELSEN

OTHER RIDERS

. . . . . . USA . . . . . RONNIE CORREY, DENNIS SIGALOS, SHAWN MORAN, KELLY MORAN, BOBBY SCHWARTZ and SCOTT AUTREY . . (John Cook #8)

. . . . . . . REST OF THE WORLD . . . . DAVE JESSUP, OLE OLSEN, IVAN MAUGER, PETER COLLINS, PETER KARLSSON and TONY RICKARDSSON . . . (John Louis #8)

PROMOTERS . . . . . . . SAM ERMOLENKO, COLIN PRATT and CVS

TEAM MANAGERS . . . . . . . BRUCE PENHALL and COLIN PRATT. . . . ERIK GUNDERSEN and CHRIS MORTON

ANNOUNCER . . . . . . . DAVE LANNING

RACE NIGHT . . . . . . . . SATURDAY 7.30pm on a summers day

MARCH OUT MUSIC . . . . . FANFARE FOR THE COMMON MAN . . (Emerson Lake & Palmer)

I'd pay a lot of money to watch this, we must be of a certain age TNT. Can we have Michael Lee in ROTW team though?

Edited by mikegum

Track: Hyde Road or Blackbird Road

Weather: Warm Summers Evening

Announcer: Dave Lanning

Promoters: Uncle Len & John Berry

Teams: England- PC, Mort, Michael Lee, Kenny Carter, Mark Loram, Wiggy, Barry Allaway

Rest of the World- Bobby Schwartz, Bruce Penhall, Leigh Adams, Hans Anderson, Erik Gundersen, Scott Autrey, Denny Pyeatt

Team Managers: Eric Boocock & John Scott

Start Time: 7.30

Music: Carnival De Paris, EL&P & Vertigo by U2 at the start line & the American countdown 'you have 2 minutes'.

Wouldn't mind the same meeting on a cool, grey night at the Shay; as a kid living in the south, only ever got there once every 2/3 years but thought it was amazing with that black surface.

Edited by mikegum

TRACK: Hyde Road, Manchester (of course)

CAPTAIN: Alan Wilkinson

OTHER RIDERS WHO HAD TO BE IN THE TEAM: Peter Collins, Chris Morton, Bobby Ott, Andy Smith, Peter Carr, Ivan Mauger, Shawn & Kelly Moran, Declan Eccles, Soren Sjosten (big team!)

PROMOTER: Stuart Bamforth (before he cashed in)

TEAM MANAGER: Eric Boocok

ANNOUNCER: Ken Wrench & Dick Barrie

RACE NIGHT: Saturday, 7pm (after a sunny day at Old Trafford watching test cricket)

MARCH OUT MUSIC: Tokyo Melody

Edited by AndyM

Track Cowley Oxford (Custom House was my favourite track but wouldnt be the same)

Captain Hans Nielsen

Team. Ronnie Moore, Jimmy Gooch, Jan O Pedersen, Gordon Kennett, 'Joe' Goody, Dag Lovaas,

Richard Greer. (Miles to strong but who cares)

Promoter: Bernard Crapper

Announcer Dave Hammond

Presenter Peter York

Start: 7:45pm Thursday

Music Post Horn Gallop

Weather Warm but with a bit of drizzle

Track: Blunsdon

Weather: Warm Summers Evening

Announcer: Clive Fisher Or Nigel Pearson.

Promoters: Not Too Sure

Teams:-

1. Leigh Adams

2. Jason Crump

3. Hans Andersen

4. Jimmy Nilsen

5. Bruce Penhall

6. Erik Gundersen

7. Ivan Maugar

1. Tony Rickardsson

2. Hans Nielsen

3. Peter Collins

4. Tomasz Gollob

5. Simon Wigg

6. Seb Ulamek (purely for celebration purposes!)

7. Barry Briggs

Team Managers: Rosco & Middleditch

Start Time: 7.30

Music: 'Carnival De Paris', 'We're Gunna' Win' by Bryan Adams & 'Paradise City' by G'N'R with the smell of a burger van..........leading to the 'You have two minutes!' american voice over into the meeting.

As an 18 year old, I didn't get to see over half of the riders listed above, hence the inclusion with the knowledge of how good they were/are on a bike. It would lead to one hell of a meeting! A pass or be passed kinda evening!