British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Perfect Night's Speedway

Doesn't matter what era whether recent or in the distant past , but any trip over to the east of Scotland and the Tigers stuffing the Monarchs is my perfect night's speedway . :wink:

Hmmm good one..

TRACK: Hyde Road, Belle Vue

CAPTAIN: Chris Morton

OTHER RIDERS WHO HAD TO BE IN THE TEAM: PC, Shawn Moran, Richard Green, Kenny Carter, Bruce Penhall (love to see those 2 team-riding), Vaclav Verner

PROMOTER: Charles Ochiltree (just for the programme notes. who was the forumite who was writing in his inimitable style for a while back - it was comedy gold!)

TEAM MANAGER: Ian Thomas

ANNOUNCER: Dick Barrie

RACE NIGHT: Saturday, 7.45pm

MARCH OUT MUSIC: Fanfare of the common man

Mind you, nights out at the Shay, Owlerton and Brandon come close

Track: - Belle Vue (Hyde Road)

Captain: - Chris Morton

Other riders in team: - Peter Collins, Andy Smith, Peter Ravn, Kenny McKinna, Paul Thorp, Peter Carr.

Team Manager: - Me!

Race Night: - Sat 7.30pm (October, under the floodlights!)

Announcer: - Ken Wrench

Music: - That song they used to play about the Aces?? (Anyone remember it??)

Edited by Max Power

OK, come on, tell us what, and who, would be part of your ultimate Perfect Night's Speedway (we're talking 1970-1990 only here, please!)?

Why only that era?

I was born in 1988 so can't remember anything before 1990!! :blink:

OK, come on, tell us what, and who, WAS part of your ultimate Perfect Night's Speedway (we're talking 1970-1990 only here, please!)?

TRACK : Hackney Waterden Road

RACE NIGHT: Friday 30th September 1977 Heat 13 - Barry Thomas & Keith White for the Hawks, Ivan Mauger & Scott Autrey for the Falcons. Exeter need a last race win to take the match and stay in touch with White City as Championship contenders. Mauger & Autrey team riding at the front for three and a half laps and then Thommo chucks the big one around the outside on the final bend to pass 'em both.

Seen a few good matches and races since then, but none to beat that!  :)

Perfect Night's Speedway, Tell us your dream scenario...

:wink:

i just know this has to have something to do with canterbury.. :blink:

Edited by sandman

:o  I knew we'd met before  :wink:

:unsure: ... :)

TRACK (can be defunct): Grippy,Leicester

WEATHER: Warm Spring evening

CAPTAIN: not material

RIDERS WHO HAD TO BE IN THE TEAM (assume they are at their peak): John Cook, Toni Kasper, Pierre Brannefors, Shawn Moran, Neil Collins, Anders Michanek, Gerald Short

PROMOTER: John Berry

TEAM MANAGER: ditto

ANNOUNCER: not material

RACE NIGHT: Tuesday

MARCH OUT MUSIC: Bat out of Hell

REFEREE: Frank Ebdon

Above all I want a last heat decider with the team taking a 5-1 to turn the match around, after lots of overtaking, a few surprise performances and a touch of controversy and no injuries.

Think Leicester v Cov in 1983 Neil Collins and Ole Olsen :D:D

Two entries; home and away matches!

TRACK (can be defunct): Wimbledon

CAPTAIN: Ronnie Moore

OTHER RIDERS WHO HAD TO BE IN THE TEAM (assume they are at their peak): Tommy Jansson, Trevor Hedge (heat leaders)

Stefan Salomonsson and Roger Johns (Nos. 2 and 4 respectively)

Mick Hines and Rudy Muts (Nos. 6 and 7 reserves)

PROMOTER: Russell Lanning

TEAM MANAGER: Cyril Maidment

ANNOUNCER: Ken Tozer

RACE NIGHT: Thursday 7.45pm (only one more early morning till the weekend...)

MARCH OUT MUSIC: Blaze Away

MUSIC ON THE TANNOY: Stuck in the Middle With You, Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep

VISITING TEAM: Hackney, comprising Bengt Jansson, Garry Middleton, Peter Moore, Barry Thomas, Keith White, Laurie Etheridge and Hughie Saunders

SCORE: 40-38

(UN) REMARKABLE EVENT: Pit-bend punch up between Hedgie and Peter Moore

IN THE INTERVAL: Chips and lashings of tomato sauce

AFTER THE MEETING: A trip to the posh Plough Lane Bar, a chat with Mrs Batson (an elderly stateswoman character who used to sponsor various events - and riders) and then excitedly listening for the familiar clip-clop of the riders' clogs (popular footwear craze amongst riders in the 70s) as they made their way to the bar. Some happy autograph hunting and then alas the 220 'bus home.

AWAY MATCH

TRACK: Belle Vue (Hyde Road)

VERSUS: Wimbledon team as above

HOME TEAM: Ivan Mauger (Captain), Peter Collins, Chris Morton, Soren Sjosten, Alan Wilkinson, Chris Pusey, Eric Broadbelt

BELLE VUE MANAGED BY: Dent Oliver

RACE NIGHT: SATURDAY 7.30P.M. After an enjoyable day on the Supporters Coach and feverish discussions in the Blue Boar as to whether all the Wimbledon riders would turn up - and if not, which hopeless guest would Maido get us this time??

SCORE: 37-41 (well, you did say this was a dream..)

MUSIC PLAYING ON THE TANNOY: Rubber Bullets, Band on the Run

AFTER THE MEETING: A few turns on the Scenic Railway at the fair and for some, a few jars at The Longsight Inn

Then, the long journey home down the M6 and M1 and great excitement at the late hour and also the prospect of the BLRC at the end of the year!

Oh happy days - how I miss them.

a chat with Mrs Batson (an elderly stateswoman character who used to sponsor various events - and riders)

That would be Dorothy Charles-Batson, who used to have letters published in Speedway Star.

I think she died in Merton in 1987.

Edited by Ian