British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tanya

10th Anniversary Meeting - Newport

david kujawa? :blink:

Anders Henriksson and Bjorn Gustafsson will meet each other in match races during this meeting, whilst Emil Lindqvist will race in the main body of the meeting :) This is due to Emil still competing in the Swedish Leagues whilst Anders and Bjorn have been retired for a few years now.

Phil Crump will open the meeting with a demonstration few laps.

Should be a really good day out, no charge for the grandstand :) no charge for the disco :) wonder if he'll charge us to get in!!

I'd love to be there but there you go. Best of luck to all concerned, hope its a blast!

I can't make the meeting tomorrow due to work comitments, I'd love to see Phil crump ride again. If anyone can get Mobile Phone footage of Crumpies demo and send it to me in a pm, I'd be very gratefull. Thanks.

Edited by father jack

Hi everyone

Was just wondering if there are any specific questions you would like the riders to be asked on the re-run productions dvd. It would be nice to have some fans input!

Thanks

Laura

Hi everyone

Was just wondering if there are any specific questions you would like the riders to be asked on the re-run productions dvd. It would be nice to have some fans input!

Thanks

Laura

G'day Laura, and greetings from Darwin

Could you ask Tom Hedley how he's coping with the Arctic conditions and with sharing a house with Jason (Stumpy) Doyle?

Regards, BFD

Well here we are, 10 years (almost) to the day that Newport Wasps arose from their 20 year hibernation.

We have had a lot of ups (mostly in the earlier years but last week against Brum was definately one of them) and a lot of downs but at least we have had 10 years of speedway when there was a long time when us longstanding fans would imagine that there would be more chance of flying to the moon than ever seeing Newport getting back on track. All you fans out there with defunct tracks, have faith.

Today will see the return to the track of Newport's greatest ever rider, the one and only Phil Crump, albeit in demonstration mode.

In 1999, the local paper asked if the then Wasps were the best ever Newport team, conveniently forgetting that although we had a great season, we were still only a second division side. To all fans who never had the good fortune (or the correct dates on your birth certificate) to see Newport in 1974, 1975 or 1976, you missed sensational speedway at the highest level and Phil was one of the very best around. Piling up points everywhere he rode, winning individual meetings all over the country, Golden Helmet Match Race holder, number 1 for his country and culminating in finishing 3rd in the 1976 World Final behind Collins and Simmons in one of his last acts as a Newport rider.

Phil, I salute and thank you for all of your efforts and the highs you gave us through those 3 years and beyond to Bristol and then Swindon.

A huge thank you must also go to Tim Stone for making all of this possible and although I have been critical of some aspects of his regime in recent years, I have never lost site of the fact that without him none of this would have happened, so thanks to Tim also.

Although I would like to keep this a completely positive post, I cannot let the matter of Craig Watson go without comment. Although he and Tim obviously couldn't strike a deal for this season, I think it is absolutely scandalous that he has been omitted from today's proceedings. Whilst Phil is Newport's greatest ever rider, Craig is undoubtedly the number 1 rider in our modern era and that is what today's celebration is essentially all about, celebrating the 10th Anniversary of the Wasps at Queensway Meadows. Quite how Tim explains this one away is beyond me, it will be interesting to see if he has been airbrushed from the programme content as well.

So welcome to all the guys who served us so well in recent years, the weather is good so let's hope that a great day is had by all.

A fitting tribute to the good things about Newport Speedway and there are still quite a few even though the scores do not reflect this.

I remember Crumpy back then when I a young kid who used to pester the the riders for autographs and photographs. Crump, Gresham, Herne, Langli, Eide all great names that Newport supporters think of fondly.

So as we get ready to go over today, we can reflect on those good times and hopefully good times to come in the future too. Today will be about looking back no doubt and celebrating the superb past riders we've enjoyed .... Anders Henriksson, the darling of the Newport crowd from the opening days. Emil Lindqvist, one of the best team riders we've seen at Newport (and also my personal favourite) and Bjorn Gustafsson who as Michal Rajkowski is now was a bright star in the team.

The only shame as has been said is that Craig Watson can't be there to enjoy the day with us too. But be sure he'll be in the Newport fans thoughts. After all he has the most apperances as a Newport rider so that cannot go without mention. I'll be having a drink in honour of him tonight :)

Congratulations to everyone associated with Newport Speedway.I know times for you haven't always been easy but like was said earlier you have had 10 years of speedway(something lots of defunct tracks would love to have).I wish you all the very best for the future and have a great day today,

KOPIOWANIE TYLKO ZA ZGOD¥ ADMINISTRATORA

All updates will appear in this window, please feel free to post any comments below.

Newport

10 Year Celebration

Texter: Dickiemint

Updater: PTW

Referee - Dave Robinson

Weather Overcast

Match Race Riders

Bjorn Gustafsson - 2,3,2 = 7

Anders Henriksson - 3,2,3 = 8

1:Jason Bunyan - 3,F,2,1,1 = 7

2:Chris Neath - 2,3,0,2,2 = 9

3:Chris Schramm - 2,1,3,1,R = 7

4:Emil Lindqvist - 1,2,0,0,0 = 3

5:Scott Peglar - 0,1,1,0,0 = 2

6:Tom Hedley - 3,1,1,3,2 = 10

7:Phil Morris - 2,0,1,3,2, = 8

8:Kauko Nieminen - 1,2,2,3,1 = 9

9:Tony Atkin - 3,3,2,1,2 = 11

10:Karl Mason - 0,0,0,0,1 = 1

11:Michal Rajkowski - 1,3,3,2,3 = 12

12:Steve Boxall - Ex,3,2,3,3 = 11

Top 4 Straight through to Final

Meeting Reserve - Sam Hurst - 0,

A couple of match races taking place between Anders Henriksson and Bjorn Gustafsson

Heat Details

Heat 1:Bunyan,Neath,Rajkowski,Hurst Time 60.65

Heat 2:Hedley,Morris,Nieminen,Peglar Time 60.99

Heat 3:Atkin,Schramm,Lindqvist,Mason Time 61.25

Match Race 1:Henriksson,Gustafsson Time 64.56

Heat 4:Atkin,Nieminen,Peglar,Bunyan Time 62.23

Heat 5:Neath,Lindqvist,Hedley,Morris Time 60.54

Heat 6:Rajkowski,Nieminen,Schramm,Mason Time 61.26

Heat 7:Boxall,Bunyan,Peglar,Lindqvist Time 61.67

Heat 8:Rajkowski,Atkin,Hedley,Neath Time 60.86

Heat 9:Schramm,Boxall,Morris,Mason Time 61.95

Match Race 2: Gustafsson,Henriksson Time 64.94