British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sandie

Premier League 4 Team Tournament

Fair play to JC for coming on here and pointing out how things have been done. I'm satisfied now :D

Fliipin heck - can we frame that comment?

This day will go down in history - our grandparents said they could remember where they were when they heard JFK was shot, we remember where we were when we heard Diana had died and now.....the younger generation will forever talk about remembering where they were when they read it on the forum that SCB was satisfied!

History in the making! :P:wink:

As people know last years averages don't neccasarily represent riders performances this year so it was decided that with ALL super7even events we would use REAL TIME averages, this is probably something that has never been done before and is as far as i'm concerned the best way to get the most in form teams into a competition, basically the cut off date was Friday 13th and all meetings up to that date were used to calculate EVERY single rider in the premier league..... ok this may be open to flaws such as some teams only having 4 official fixtures and some 7 but surely this is the most accurate way to get the best line up?

so real time averages up to the 13th April, a real form guide when some teams have only riden 2 home and two away, perhaps the PLRC and pairs representatives should be chosen on these real time averages as well, then we can have a total farce

the most accurate way to get the line up would be qualifying rounds, and no explanation why in the elite pairs the nominated team was the last team who would have qualified according to averages, and the present champions were overlooked yet in this competition for some reason its not the last in line acoording to averages but birmingham, if the averages is the fairest way of deciding the finalists why birmingham.

and why have a reserve team, in the past if riders are injured the next riders in the averages of the team that has qualified have taked their places, why the change for this year?

when is the last date for replacing teams whose riders get injured, if a team has their top two injured one week away from the start date will they be replaced by the second reserve team?, and if they would be who is the second reserve team?

what a farce the first two competitions in the super sevens have been

Whilst I applaud JC for explaining himself, I can't agree with the comment about Birmingham. Lyons is aweful around the EOES! Should have given it to Sheffield as the 8th highest averged team.

Whilst I applaud JC for explaining himself, I can't agree with the comment about Birmingham. Lyons is aweful around the EOES! Should have given it to Sheffield as the 8th highest averged team.

I totally agree, i'd be totally gutted if i was sheffield!

Credit to Jonathan Chapman for coming on here and explaining the situation. My respect for the bloke has gone up massively - perhaps more promoters could take notice???

I agree, and said initially, that if this event has to be 8 selected teams this is probably the best way and I'd challenge anybody to suggest a better method. The problem is it's not really indicative of form or which sides have the best top 4. With so few meetings too much depends on who sides have ridden against and if they have had one more meeting at home than away or vice versa. Had Sheffield swapped their fixtures against King's Lynn and Stoke around they'd be in the final now - that tells you it's not the right way to do it surely?

As for Birmingham - there is still no valid explanation. I thought the Super 7 series was about taking the home track advantage that has spoiled these meetings away? The only justification for Birmingham seems to be Ostergaard has home track advantage at Peterborough - it makes no sense. I think we all have our ideas on why this decision has been made - it would be nice if someone could at least be honest about it. My guess is that Jonathan Chapman is privately a bit embarrassed about the feeble reasoning offered as to why Birmingham are selected - I'd hope so anyway - although I understand why he has to say what he's said publicly.

The organisers should be applauded for taking a step forward from events of previous years but it's still not right and needs to get better. Lose the seeded team rubbish and move it later into the season or have qualifying rounds.

perhaps richard hall will get a wildcard into the ELRC (in place of perhaps chris harris)because he's a sheffield assett using the current (sadly misguided) criteria???? or could it be that someone(?) wants to eliminate possibly the strongest opposition to their team winning it? :shock::shock::shock:

can anyone remember the name of the one PL rider who has beaten the current world champion(jason crump) around his former home track (peterborough)?????....here's a clue-he won't be riding in this meeting even though his team did legitimately qualify. :wink::wink:

Edited by The SAINT

I am posting these comments to express my dissatisfaction at the omission of Sheffield from the PL fours. I know a few of you may shout “sour grapes” but that is your right

I have been a long time advocate of a qualifying series of meetings for the right to be at the finals just like it used to be prior to 2000

Failing that the top 8 qualifiers from the averages should contest the final. This seasons ruling is the top 7 plus a seeded team

What are the criteria for selecting the seeded team. I would suggest the follow be considered

• The team with the 8th highest average

• The most successful team over say the last 10 years

• The team with good away support

• The team that has consistently been high profile

I could go on but you get the point I am making in that I am amazed Sheffield are not that 8th team

This is in no way anti-Birmingham as I am delighted they are back and had a super evening at Perry bar on Good Friday. I base my arguments on simple fair play

I also would like to express concern over the management of our sport. I first attended Owlerton to see a Provincial League fixture in 1962. Since then there have been huge advances in machines, tracks, safety, promotions etc that have added to the sport.

Sadly the management has not followed with a whole raft of rules that and based on image, TV and commerce and sadly not fair play

• Is it too much to ask that the team that gets most points wins the league

• Is it too much to ask that the rider winning a race gets just 3 points

• Is it too much too ask that the 8 on merit go to the 4’s final

• I could go on

The BSPA ask the following questions before any decision is taken

1 Is it fair

2 Is it what the supporter wants

3 Is it about image

4 Is it about commerce (usually TV)

The answers should be Yes, Yes, No and No. Then and only then do we get the decisions that most people believe are right for the sport

Well Tress has said on Bears forum he will be back in three to four weeks so I think he will be fine, much will depend on Havvy - although I dont think the Bears woudl stand much chance at the EOES as I dont think Grieves likes it and Kerr may find it too long at this stage.

Home Straight Steve, you have my support! In the past the wildcard has been to ensure the home team gets in and if they qualify by right the 8th place team gets the place. The ommision of Sheffield seems very odd and unfair.

ouch! been there and it hurts,get well soon gary.

Havvy has got a punctured lung and is out for 6-7 weeks :cry:

Where does this come from Marron? Todays Gazette says a small tear in his lung and he's expected back in a month?

Edited by Boothers

Where does this come from Marron? Todays Gazette says a small tear in his lung and he's expected back in a month?

I think i read it on the Redacr Forum yesterday. Gazette is more reliable though so it could have just been over exaduration.

perhaps richard hall will get a wildcard into the ELRC (in place of perhaps chris harris)because he's a sheffield assett using the current (sadly misguided) criteria???? or could it be that someone(?) wants to eliminate possibly the strongest opposition to their team winning it? :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

can anyone remember the name of the one PL rider who has beaten the current world champion(jason crump) around his former home track (peterborough)?????....here's a clue-he won't be riding in this meeting even though his team did legitimately qualify. :wink:  :wink:

SAINT. I've waited long enough!! It was Ricky Ashworth!! Agree re Richard Hall and posted the same on the Sheffield Forum this AM