British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sandie

Premier League Best Pairs

know which i rather a tatsy league meeting or a pairs? and i feel sorry for those booked into cardiff hotels expecting a meeting at newport on the friday, nice chaotic trip to somerset on a friday evening instead anybody?

Going south on the M5 at 5pm on a Friday evening in the middle of summer...good luck!

With regard to the interview in Speedway Star, how on earth does Jonathan Chapman think this meeting is in the best inerest of the sport. Somerset and Newport have both run successful meetings on the Friday before Cardiff for a couple of years now. Supporters from all over Europe have had an enjoyable start to the weekend watching great competitive meetings at whichever track they choose. That choice has now been lost. Not sure if Tim will stage a meeting on the Friday, especially if Newport qualify, but hopefully there will at least be a conference match of some kind.

The Oak Tree Arena is not capable of holding all of the supporters that attended both meetings in the past, it is not physically big enough. Many supporters therefore will lose out on an evening of speedway and mixing with like minded people from areas they would not usually mix with.

For me this is very disappointing and lacks a great deal of foresight in looking at the bigger picture. On this occasion we have shot ourselves in the foot and it has already taken the gloss off the weekend for me. Thanks for nothing Mr Chapman!

Edited by markpoulton

Erm..I'll be going. Not interested at all in Newport v Glasgow, nor the Welsh Open for that matter. Went to the Oak Tree for the first time last year and thought it was great. It's an absolutely superb racing track. Count me in. :)

The more I think about this the more disappointing it becomes. Firstly, let me make it clear that I am not against Somerset having this meeting per se just that the timing seems utterly ridiculous. Consider: there is quite likely to be a large number of speedway supporters from all around in the South Wales area on the evening before the British Grand Prix. Ordinarily those people would come and see a truly competitive league match in the vicinity of South Wales at Newport. The fans would see a great match, Newport would have a big crowd, Tim makes a few quid and everybody is happy. Those that aren't already in Wales could happily go and see this or go to Somerset if they wished. No problem. Now, we have an official meeting in Somerset that would take precedence over others and quite likely proclude Tim from running any meeting of substance. Ergo, we miss out on a bumper meeting. Plus, those already in South Wales would find themselves travelling down the M5 on a Friday evening in the summer (best of luck) and spending £5.10 to get back over the bridge afterwards. On the surface, sounds like truly stunning incompitence not to mention extremely annoying if you ask me.

and i feel sorry for those booked into cardiff hotels expecting a meeting at newport on the friday, nice chaotic trip to somerset on a friday evening instead anybody?

Going south on the M5 at 5pm on a Friday evening in the middle of summer...good luck! 

Did this trip when Glasgow were at Somerset a couple of years back. It was busy yes, but not that bad...and there were roadworks at the time as well. Think we left our hotel at Cardiff just after 5pm and still made it to Somerset in plenty of time - not long after the gates opened anyway. Certainly no worse than travelling to any metting during the summer heading south on the motorways...and having been stuck in queues on the M3 heading back to Poole I speak from experience ;)

Plus although the Newport meeting on the pre-GP week has a decent crowd, it's not that big... I've been there for 3 of the last 4 seasons and think you're exaggerating a bit that Somerset couldn't cope with both crowds. :rolleyes:

Think I'll be heading to this Pairs meeting anyway...should be good. :D

Edited by rabbit

The more I think about this the more disappointing it becomes. Firstly, let me make it clear that I am not against Somerset having this meeting per se just that the timing seems utterly ridiculous. Consider: there is quite likely to be a large number of speedway supporters from all around in the South Wales area on the evening before the British Grand Prix. Ordinarily those people would come and see a truly competitive league match in the vicinity of South Wales at Newport. The fans would see a great match, Newport would have a big crowd, Tim makes a few quid and everybody is happy. Those that aren't already in Wales could happily go and see this or go to Somerset if they wished. No problem. Now, we have an official meeting in Somerset that would take precedence over others and quite likely proclude Tim from running any meeting of substance. Ergo, we miss out on a bumper meeting. Plus, those already in South Wales would find themselves travelling down the M5 on a Friday evening in the summer (best of luck) and spending £5.10 to get back over the bridge afterwards. On the surface, sounds like truly stunning incompitence not to mention extremely annoying if you ask me.

You were saying about M5 the M4 can be just as bad on a friday so Cardiff to OTA about 2 hours and not back in a pub in Cardiff untill after 11 30 not though out at all

You were saying about M5 the M4 can be just as bad on a friday so Cardiff to OTA about 2 hours and not back in a pub in Cardiff untill after 11 30 not though out at all

I live 45 miles from Somerset Speedway, it takes me an hour to get from my house to Somerset on a Friday night. I have infact gone to Somerset on a GP Friday and it was no worse than any other time of the year, an hour. Add in 30 minutes to get from Cardiff (on a bad day) and it's less than an hour and 30 minutes.

Then coming back, the road is always clear and I can do it in 40 minutes at legal speeds, add in the 10 minutes extra to Cardiff and assuming the meeting is over by 9.30, people can be back in Cardiff by 10.30 easily.

Thats just the people in Cardiff and Newport area, now this amaze some Newport fans but Newports not the centre of the universe. People live all over the country and it might suit them to go to Somerset, what about the hundreds of Somerset fans for a start? What about people coming Newport down the M4 who can now go down the M5 on the way and add an extra 20 miles to the journey they're doing anyway?

As someone who lives in Newport and looks forwards to this weekend it's annoying but try looking at the bigger picture, it annoys a few hundred Newport and Glasgow fans but how many neutrals really don't care? and the Glasgow fans will have travelled hundreds of miles, I can't see another 80-100 miles round trip being an issue.

I live 45 miles from Somerset Speedway, it takes me an hour to get from my house to Somerset on a Friday night.  I have infact gone to Somerset on a GP Friday and it was no worse than any other time of the year, an hour.  Add in 30 minutes to get from Cardiff (on a bad day) and it's less than an hour and 30 minutes.

Then coming back, the road is always clear and I can do it in 40 minutes at legal speeds, add in the 10 minutes extra to Cardiff and assuming the meeting is over by 9.30, people can be back in Cardiff by 10.30 easily. 

Thats just the people in Cardiff and Newport area, now this amaze some Newport fans but Newports not the centre of the universe.  People live all over the country and it might suit them to go to Somerset, what about the hundreds of Somerset fans for a start?  What about people coming Newport down the M4 who can now go down the M5 on the way and add an extra 20 miles to the journey they're doing anyway?

As someone who lives in Newport and looks forwards to this weekend it's annoying but try looking at the bigger picture, it annoys a few hundred Newport and Glasgow fans but how many neutrals really don't care?  and the Glasgow fans will have travelled hundreds of miles, I can't see another 80-100 miles round trip being an issue.

Thanks for a fair post.

I live in Halifax and will come down for the pairs - it makes the weekend more enjoyable, I can see the pairs, go to Cardiff and call at Newport on the Sunday. I think we need to put a more positive slant on things and look at the bigger picture.

I live 45 miles from Somerset Speedway, it takes me an hour to get from my house to Somerset on a Friday night.  I have infact gone to Somerset on a GP Friday and it was no worse than any other time of the year, an hour.  Add in 30 minutes to get from Cardiff (on a bad day) and it's less than an hour and 30 minutes.

Thats just the people in Cardiff and Newport area, now this amaze some Newport fans but Newports not the centre of the universe.  People live all over the country and it might suit them to go to Somerset, what about the hundreds of Somerset fans for a start?  What about people coming Newport down the M4 who can now go down the M5 on the way and add an extra 20 miles to the journey they're doing anyway?

As someone who lives in Newport and looks forwards to this weekend it's annoying but try looking at the bigger picture, it annoys a few hundred Newport and Glasgow fans but how many neutrals really don't care?  and the Glasgow fans will have travelled hundreds of miles, I can't see another 80-100 miles round trip being an issue.

Got to agree with SCB on his comments. I am a Somerset fan and don't have a problem with the 10 minutes of travelling required for me to get to the OTA! :D

Anyway why can't people stay in the Somerset area on the Friday or even Bristol and then travel onto Cardiff on the Saturday like us Somerset fans will be doing. The M5 north on a Saturday can be just as bad as it is south on the Friday.

The one thing you can guarantee at the OTA is that the racing will be worth the extra effort it might take to get there.

p.s. How did this PAIRS meeting get onto the Individual meetings thread?? :unsure:

The Oak Tree Arena is not capable of holding all of the supporters that attended both meetings in the past, it is not physically big enough. 

I think it's big enough but the main problem with Somerset is it's poor facilities and in my opinion processional racing(Tin hat now on).

Last year I took someone along to the OTA to view their first ever meeting. He came away that night in a real foul mood saying that speedway was a complete waste of time and money and he couldn't understand how I could travel around the country following the sport. OK it was a bad meeting but after reading all the good comments from others I started think about the three metings I've seen there and to be honest I haven't seen a decent one.

Maybe I've been unlucky but the idea of Glasgow having to ride there three times this season has really hacked me off. The team have to be represented in three but I don't so it's bye bye pairs.

Thanks for a fair post.

I live in Halifax and will come down for the pairs - it makes the weekend more enjoyable, I can see the pairs, go to Cardiff and call at Newport on the Sunday. I think we need to put a more positive slant on things and look at the bigger picture.

We are looking at the bigger picture and Tim Stone relies on the income from the two meetings either side of the GP to keep Newport afloat, so if you think risking the future of a speedway club is good for speedway, I must differ from your reasoning.

Best wishes,

Judy

We are looking at the bigger picture and Tim Stone relies on the income from the two meetings either side of the GP to keep Newport afloat, so if you think risking the future of a speedway club is good for speedway, I must differ from your reasoning.

Best wishes,

Judy

agree i also think that an extra meeting in a GP weekend for a family including and extra night in a hotel could be too much for many people, so they will give the pairs a miss, where as on an other weekend they might well have attended.

hope im wrong but we will have to see.

i wont be going because it would mean taking a days holiday, and i dont have enough of those to spend going to the pairs and then paying for a hotel in order to see the GP the next day

Best wishes,

Judy

I have every sympathy with Newport and wish them all the best, but things don't always stay the same - I think Somerset have an equal right to additional revenue from the Grand Prix.

After all, if it wasn't for the GP, Newport wouldn't get any additional fans on the Sunday, as they wouldn't travel specially for the meeting.

All the best

:rolleyes::D

At the end of the day Somerset and the Oak tree have the pairs , and if Newport had wanted to they could have bid for the meeting !!!! .

I am sure the Somerset speedway will have the arena looking good and not the track in field as many feel on here with lots of improvements to the lighting and next year a full club house and a promoter who has had world class events at his other track think its in safe and professional hands somehow .

The track will be to its normal high standard to give fast and execting racing to many fans from around the world and hope they won,t find Cardiff boring the next night .

The fact is that Newport may get an extra big crowd on the Sunday as no ELRC taking place at Swindon , so hopefully Tim will have his bag of gold as well and a win win for speedway

lets enjoy a feast of speedway and hope the weather is warm and sunny down highbridge way

I wonder how much the financial implications of having the PL Pairs at Somerset on a night that Newport relies on for revenue to keep it afloat have come into Tim Stone's decision to withdraw the loss making Mavericks from the CL this year? Is this the beginning of the end for Newport and speedway in Wales?

Best wishes,

Judy

If it is the case, I'd say we need to look more at Tim Stone and his actions than the BSPA's decision to hold the pairs on GP weekend. If Tim Stone had no continually put out rubbish teams, banned people and generally pissed people off, he may not need to rely so heavily on the two GP weekend meetings.

As I said, look at the bigger picture.