British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sandie

Premier League Best Pairs

Go and look at my post in the CL section on Stone in the Mavericks thread.

If he has to rely on 3 meetings all year for his money then he is not doing his job properly.

His club is a mess and he has no right whatsoever to have a guaranteed meeting on the Friday before Cardiff.

Perhaps he will now go and promote his club and get it into some sort of shape now he has had a pay day taken from him?

Wouldn't bet on it mind.

And this taking place has put a stop to newports usual bumper crowd the night before the gp bet they are chuffed to bits.......

but according to Chris (see above post) this is for good of British Speedway if not for newport,

why? i dont know

Feel sorry for Newport, but to be honest I feel they don't have a leg to stand on, and Somerset are perfectly entitled to run the pairs on the friday before the Grand Prix.

If they do rely on the bumper crowd to keep them running then you really have to question whether or not they should be in business.

For what its worth a lot of inconvenience has been caused to many supporters by the comparative late announcement of this particular Super 7 meeting. The hotel rooms in Cardiff were sold out long ago before Christmas to supporters who were no doubt looking forward to a nice relaxing speedway weekend in the Cardiff/Newport area taking in Newport Speedway on Friday night. This includes me and my travelling companion. I have nothing against Somerset, indeed I like the racing there, but I'm not going all the way to Newport to book in and then turn round and go back to Somerset. So we'll go to Somerset and chance getting into the guest house room very late on Friday night. As I said, a bit of pressure and a bit inconvenient.

Looking at it from a different point of view, I recall a few years ago at a Cardiff memorabilia fair in the Angel Hotel, talking to Mr Meakins from the then Carmarthen Speedway. I asked why he did not run on the Sunday after Cardiff as I felt that quite a few might take the opportunity to venture westwards and visit his very brave attempts to run speedway so west in Wales. His reply was that Mr Stone at Newport would not agree to him running at the same time. Seems like the wheel has turned the fuill circle.

Regards

I asked why he did not run on the Sunday after Cardiff as I felt that quite a few might take the opportunity to venture westwards and visit his very brave attempts to run speedway so west in Wales. His reply was that Mr Stone at Newport would not agree to him running at the same time.
Carmarthen ran a meeting the day after the British GP in 2004, in direct opposition to the one at Newport.

I can't imagine that Stone backed down on this matter (Turkeys, Christmas and all that) so I can only assume that Meakins went ahead and ran the meeting anyway. If so then good on him.

Not surprisingly Newport's promoter is bleating about this matter in this week's Speedway Star. The Friday meeting v Glasgow was described as "attractive" and also something which "everybody looked forward to." I beg to differ. It was nearly always a bad meeting, marred by reckless riding and a nasty atmosphere. A video of last season's meeting was shown at last week's social, including a close up of two goons having a go at one of our riders after the last race. Disgraceful.

Personally I'm glad that, this year, the GP weekend pounds won't be going directly to Newport (although presumably they'll still get a slice of the PL Pairs financial pie). Besides, the thought of a visit to Somerset is much more palatable than having to go to Newport.

Graham.

Edited by Graham

Carmarthen ran a meeting the day after the British GP in 2004, in direct opposition to the one at Newport.

I can't imagine that Stone backed down on this matter (Turkeys, Christmas and all that) so I can only assume that Meakins went ahead and ran the meeting anyway.  If so then good on him.

Not surprisingly Newport's promoter is bleating about this matter in this week's Speedway Star.  The Friday meeting v Glasgow was described as "attractive" and also something which "everybody looked forward to."  I beg to differ.  It was nearly always a bad meeting, marred by reckless riding and a nasty atmosphere.  A video of last season's meeting was shown at last week's social, including a close up of two goons having a go at one of our riders after the last race.  Disgraceful.

Personally I'm glad that, this year, the GP weekend pounds won't be going directly to Newport (although presumably they'll still get a slice of the PL Pairs financial pie).  Besides, the thought of a visit to Somerset is much more palatable than having to go to Newport.

Graham.

I think it's well known that was Berwick goons having a go at the messiah in that meeting Graham .

I can't imagine that Stone backed down on this matter (Turkeys, Christmas and all that) so I can only assume that Meakins went ahead and ran the meeting anyway.  If so then good on him.

Not surprisingly Newport's promoter is bleating about this matter in this week's Speedway Star.  The Friday meeting v Glasgow was described as "attractive" and also something which "everybody looked forward to."  I beg to differ.  It was nearly always a bad meeting, marred by reckless riding and a nasty atmosphere.  A video of last season's meeting was shown at last week's social, including a close up of two goons having a go at one of our riders after the last race.  Disgraceful.

Personally I'm glad that, this year, the GP weekend pounds won't be going directly to Newport (although presumably they'll still get a slice of the PL Pairs financial pie).  Besides, the thought of a visit to Somerset is much more palatable than having to go to Newport.

Graham.

Your just a grumpy so and so, near enough every post you contribute to this forum you are moaning and whinging about something.

I think it's well known that was Berwick goons having a go at the messiah in that meeting Graham .

Err...not according to people at the showing last week Paul who said the guy was the same one who threw a beer can onto the track when Newport were up at Ashfield a couple of years ago

Err...not according to people at the showing last week Paul who said the guy was the same one who threw a beer can onto the track when Newport were up at Ashfield a couple of years ago

I obviously wasn't listening then . :oops: or had nipped out for a cigarette - one of the two . :rolleyes:

Your just a grumpy so and so, near enough every post you contribute to this forum you are moaning and whinging about something.
I'm terribly sorry you feel like that.

I think it's well known that was Berwick goons having a go at the messiah in that meeting Graham
Paul, one of them was the well-known guy with the yellow t-shirt and grey pony-tail who used to be a regular at Newport's away meetings. This is someone who's behaviour has been, how can I put it, "questionable" in the past. The other bloke (who threw the stone) I didn't recognise.

Regardless of who anyone supports I just cannot agree with aggressive behaviour at speedway meetings

Graham.

Graham.

Dear Graham,

Nobody is saying that Somerset should not be able to ride on that Friday night as they have done in previous years and people who wanted to go there did. So you are not gaining a meeting at Somerset. However what is happening this year is preventing Tim sunning at all. He also loses another home meeting for the PL Riders Championship.

Very few promoters have put so much time and their own money into speedway over the last ten years as Tim has. Name me one other promoter whose full-time occupation and income comes from one speedway club?

Why not have a go at the Isle of Wight who rely a small number of meetings during the summer holidays to keep the club afloat.

Rather than people keep running down somebody who has done their best to keep a decent level of speedway in Wales, why not offer to go down there and help put right all the so called problems with the stadium, I am sure that all volunteers would be welcome.

Best wishes,

Judy

Dear Graham,

Nobody is saying that Somerset should not be able to ride on that Friday night as they have done in previous years and people who wanted to go there did. So you are not gaining a meeting at Somerset. However what is happening this year is preventing Tim sunning at all. He also loses another home meeting for the PL Riders Championship.

Very few promoters have put so much time and their own money into speedway over the last ten years as Tim has. Name me one other promoter whose full-time occupation and income comes from one speedway club?

Why not have a go at the Isle of Wight who rely a small number of meetings during the summer holidays to keep the club afloat.

Rather than people keep running down somebody who has done their best to keep a decent level of speedway in Wales, why not offer to go down there and help put right all the so called problems with the stadium, I am sure that all volunteers would be welcome.

Best wishes,

Judy

Apart from matchday you can count the volunteers on one hand