British Speedway Forum
norbold

Olympic Stadium

The only problem with any prospective site is would the local residents complain or even want a track? It is crazy that we don't have a London speedway side, but didn't the London Lions fail to attract crowds in 1996 on more or less the same site? Maybe the people of London don't want a speedway team :(

Edited by Hawk

The London Lions were based at Hackney Stadium, which is not the same site as the Olympic Stadium. The new stadium is away from built up areas, but whether it would attract enough support to keep going is another matter...you would have thought so in London. Of course Arena Essex might object to having another track so close.

You need to think about what will happen to the olympic village afterwards. I believe it is to be used for housing, education and accomodation

The London Lions were based at Hackney Stadium, which is not the same site as the Olympic Stadium. The new stadium is away from built up areas, but whether it would attract enough support to keep going is another matter...

The fact of the matter (and the point I'm suggesting we emphasise..) is that Hackney Stadium was protected (albeit empty and falling into dereliction) right up to the point it was decided to clear that whole area for the Olympics.

If the Olympics weren't happening there's every reason to assume that the former Speedway venue would still be there and therefore there remained the possibility of the sport returning to Waterden Rd..

That may be semantics..: the real issue is that for generations when that area they now call the 'Lower Lea Valley' was ignored and little-regarded by virtually anyone, the twin-sports of dog racing & Speedway kept it alive. I simply think we could (should..) be using this as an argument to get ourselves a national Speedway venue out of the post-games melting pot... :unsure:

As for what's on which part of the overall site..: why, norbold, tell you what, I'll drive you down there sometime and we can have a look...!!!! ;):D

As for what's on which part of the overall site..: why, norbold, tell you what, I'll drive you down there sometime and we can have a look...!!!! ;)  :D

Aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!! Anything but that!!!! :wink:

And to think I used to live in walking distance of Hackney Stadium....

norbold, tell you what, I'll drive you down there sometime and we can have a look...!!!! ;)  :D

Aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!! Anything but that!!!! :wink:

Bit harsh Norbold - Old Parsnips' driving isn't THAT bad!

(mind you had my eyes closed tight last time I was in his car! )

:lol:

I think it was because West Ham wanted to buy it outright and use as their stadium, but the Olympic Committee want it used as a general sports stadium afterwards, including athletics.

Athletics seems to poison all stadium developments in the UK. The simple fact is that with the exception of the Olympics and possibly the World Athletics Championship which a country can at best expect to host once every 50 years or so, athletics just cannot pay it's pay in any sizeable stadium anywhere in the world.

It's essential that practical and financially viable uses must be found for former Olympic Stadiums, and that basically means football. I've been to most of the former Olympic Stadiums, and many are in a very sorry state indeed. It would be far better to sell the London Stadium to the likes of West Ham or even Orient for enough money to revamp Crystal Palace which is perfectly good enough for the type of athletics events the UK will ever host.

This is down to the terms of the funding which was given to provide an Athletics facility once the games have finished. Mind you, an identical situation with the new Wembley Stadium which Bates seemed to find a way around.

And rightly so. People have finally realised that athletics and pitch-based sports don't go together in the same stadium, and it would have been ridiculous to have included an athletics track at Wembley when it probably would have been used once and then forgotten about.

The difference is Bryn..: the last time I gave norbold a lift, I had MY eyes closed!!!!!! :D

I hadn't realised that. I just thought you were colour blind and couldn't tell the difference between red and green traffic lights.... :blink: