British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil

Salary Cap.

OK Salary Cap is the wrong word as riders don't get paid a salary but get paid per points scored.

One of the possible issues with PL clubs moving to the EL is rider costs.

Haven't Ice hockey clubs been going through a similar problem?

Salary Caps are used in the Rugby League and are coming into football Division 3 but for different reason to why it could be used in speedway.

Do you think salary caps could work or not? and are they the answer?

Don't the BSPA already set out a recommend points money system for riders at different levels? (e.g Heat Leader, Second String, Reserve)

Had a look around the net and found a few articles about sports salary cap

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/low/other_spo...rts/2546199.stm

http://sportfocus.dynaportal.co.uk/newspub...ory.cfm?ID=2455

http://www.speedwaymanager.co.uk/forum/top...409&whichpage=1 !

Good idea Phil, but how would it be policed?

Promoters are very cagey about where their money goes and comes from

attendances being a good example. Are riders paid by the point these

days, maybe from away meetings, but being the cynic I am, I'm not

convinced the weekly pay packet does not exist, I remember someone

saying Glenn Cunningham was not to bothered how he rode as he was on

£400 a week.

Bring in a cap, bring in back handers.

Not sure what the answer is, but losing GP riders and their expense would

make the EL more likely to appeal to PL tracks thinking of moving up

Seem to remember they tried to bring in pay restrictions in the early 90's. At the time Stewkesbury was promoter at Poole and stuck to it. Marvyn Cox was one rider who refused to sign up to the pay structure and we struggled through that season with no number 1 rider (think John Cook came in late in the season to help out).

All the time other clubs were getting round it by paying their riders the bog standard rate but beefing it up to the usual amount though other means. Now how anyone could prove who was being paid what I don't know without the books being looked at by the BSPA, but it didn't last longer than one season...Has anyone else got a better memory of that season and what the deal was - I was a relatively new supporter back then and it didn't really register what was going on - only that we were cr@p that year! :roll:

Looking at it from a slightly different angle, maybe riders (especially GP riders) should have a clause in their contract that they will ride in a minimum number of meetings. A proportion of their "salary" could be lodged in a central fund and not paid out until they have managed that minimum number of meetings.

Missing meetings because of injury would have to be authorised by a BSPA approved doctor, based in the UK.

How many times have riders missed league encounters but still been fit enough to ride in individual meetings of various kinds. Riders are all too keen to take the financial help from promoters in terms of fares to the UK, rent, vans etc and they need to give in return.

Good idea star lady but don't see how it would reduce the wage costs?

One of the possible issues with PL clubs moving to the EL is rider costs.

Do you think salary caps could work or not? and are they the answer?

Rider costs certainly......along with the size of the present EL (same old faces twice a year etc)

So what will encourage PL teams to move up? Exactly the same as other league sports........more profit.

And how can top level speedway provide that? By cutting costs and increasing revenue, mainly, initially, from TV rights.

Would Sky or others be more attracted by a larger EL........you bet. More matches, more coverage, more revenue for the clubs.

Would more coverage increase gates and create a larger customer base to make new tracks viable?....you bet.

But the icing on the cake is surely working towards a European Championship AND cutting costs at the same time. Riders can only ride for one European club.................EL costs cut at a stroke..............and eventually the rewards would be enormous. Even more coverage, more variety, more gate receipts, more merchandise sold, more press coverage, more tracks opening, more, more, more................

Now how can we get the ball rolling?

One of the problems hinted at by Rabbit is that promoters often have a company that they are connected with that "gives" a sponsorship deal to a rider on top of standard pay. I cannot see how the BSPA could have the power to inspect the accounts of a company which was not acting as a promoter.

One of the problems hinted at by Rabbit is that promoters often have a company that they are connected with that "gives" a sponsorship deal to a rider on top of standard pay. I cannot see how the BSPA could have the power to inspect the accounts of a company which was not acting as a promoter.

Exactly! I get the impression that the only place it may have do is in big budget North American leagues who can spend a fortune on policing. It certainly doesn't work in British ice hockey where players were paid for second jobs with in the organisation, their wives were given jobs, sponsors paid players direct etc. There are too many 'legitimate' ways round a cap.

"Most Elite League promoters want to cut costs and that can only mean one thing – less GP riders or possibly no GP riders," added Mrs Louis.

"I cannot see riders agreeing a pay cut. This is not the only problem, all foreigners cost tremendous amount of money in various guarantees, air fares, vans and extras and we do not have their exclusive services as they fly out to race in two other leagues, championships, Grand Prix and challenges"

Magda spells out Witches' woes

I have said else where, a salary cap will not work 100% but will it make things worse?  No!!  Might it work, or at least make things better?  YES.  Try it, whats the worst that can happen?  All the promotes ignore it, but if they all stick together, all the promoters could gain from this one, the rich clubs by making more money and the poor clubs by being able to entice some of the better riders to there club.

I agree that if ALL the British promoters agree to lower what they are paying riders, especially the GP ones, then it would help. Many of the riders would reduce their costs and agree to ride, sooner or later, at the reduced rates. However as soon as one club wants to pay a bit more to get a particular rider, and obtaining rider sponsorship counts just the same, then the whole thing will quickly spiral out of control again.

I'm sorry SCB but your dream will never work out, not even if rider control was also brought in. The only way it could work out is if Elite League speedway was run by one company (like BSI get away with it for the GPs) and profits shared.