British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AdamLoweSpeedway

A Question for You LIONS fans

What was the piece of music called that was played at Blackbird Road when the staff marched out at the start of the meetings in the 60's and 70's?

Was this anywhere near your time going to Leicester Sir L?

Gemini will know for sure

Gemini might have known if she hadn't gone senile over the years. :?

Was it something like "Blaze Away" by an RAF band?

Hubby reckons it was "You'd be far better off in a home." but I think he's getting confused and is referring to me. :D

Was it something like "Blaze Away" by an RAF band?

Hubby reckons it was "You'd be far better off in a home." but I think he's getting confused and is referring to me. :D

Could be a totally different piece of music but if you go onto the Dons website (the home page) Blaze away is played.

www.wimbledonspeedway.co.uk

Guest Sir Lunchalot

That sounds like it emzey 01 !!!!!

Either that or I still have Monty Python on the brain.

That sounds like it emzey 01 !!!!!

It was done by the British Legion, i only know this beacuse i tried to see if i could get it as a ring tone on my phone (i was jealous that the Armadale/Edinburgh fans have their 'anthem' on their phones!), unfortunatley it isnt popular enough.

Thanks emzey01.

Have listened to the music and I think that could be it, but my husband says it's not, so I guess we will have to wait for confirmation from someone with a better memory. :?

It definately wasn't Blaze Away or Wheels. It was however an RAF tune, but the name escapes me for the moment. If you want to ring me though, I'll hum it to you. :?

Guest Sir Lunchalot

You've got me going now Liontamer and I'm "surfing on a mission".

Any of these titles look familiar ?

From http://www.tillystips.com/dis/raf.htm heaps of tunes listed

231 R.A.F. COLLEGE CRANWELL "World Famous Marches" Squadron Leader D.S. Stephens Polydor [1975] 2383.349

Under the Double Eagle - Washington Post - El Abanico - The Champion - Cavalry of the Steppes - Radetzky M - The Thin Red Line - Entry of the Gladiators - With Sword & Lance - M Lorraine - Liberty Bell - Light of Foot - Blaze Away - R.A.F. March Past

Imperial Echoes rings a bell.

Can you hum that LT?

Who was it that started this damn topic off? It's driving me mad now! :P

Hell's teeth, it's driving me mad now because I know the tune so well, but I can't think what it's called. I vote we all gang up on AdamLoweSpeedway & duff him up for starting this. :-(

I telephoned Maurice Jones this morning (yes, I'm desperate!) but unfortunately he wasn't able to help. He did say though that there has been a discussion on Radio Leicester about this recently so it sounds like some sort of quiz.

I say we keep quiet now because perhaps Andy Rowe is in line for the million pounds prize money if he finds out. :P .. :D

Guest Sir Lunchalot
Hell's teeth, it's driving me mad now because I know the tune so well, but I can't think what it's called. :-(

Me too Lt .. and I know it .. it goes dum de dum de dum te dum, te dum, te dum tee tee

Me too Lt .. and I know it .. it goes dum de dum de dum te dum, te dum, te dum tee tee

No mate, you're thinking of the other one. The proper tune went like this: Rrum Dum Dum Dum Duu D D Dum, Rrum dum dum dum Duu D D Dum, D D Dum Dum Dum Dum....etc. :?