British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 19

Commencing our fourth year of publication, issue 19 is out now and with an EXTRA EIGHT PAGES your favourite speedway magazine is packed with more nostalgia than ever before!

MAIN MAN – SAM ERMOLENKO

During a break in preparation for his recent farewell meeting, Sam Ermolenko gave one of his most candid interviews ever to Backtrack. From his early BL days at Poole in 1983 through his many years of loyal service to Wolverhampton, the former American star recalls the highs and lows of his spectacular career, on and off the track.

Read why the Californian admits he was "lucky" to finally win the World Championship in 1993, where he thinks his main rival Hans Nielsen made a big mistake . . . and why he deliberately ‘threw’ a race to mess up Nielsen and avenge what he perceived to be some dodgy dealing by the Danes years earlier.

Why ‘Sudden’ Sam wishes he could turn back the clock and do things differently at the 1985 Bradford World Final and why being "too eager to please others" ultimately cost him more individual glory.

The terrible injuries that nearly killed him, his role in Wolves’ most successful era and what he might do next now that he has quit racing . . . this is probably the most revealing Sam Ermolenko interview you’ve ever read.

Our lead columnist JOHN BERRY also runs his usual impartial rule over the colourful American.

DEFUNCT TRACK: HACKNEY

Another tear-jerker from the archives as we look back at the now sadly defunct East London track, where Hawks, Kestrels and Lions had their time on one of the fairest, most raceable raceways in the world. Bengt Jansson, Barry Thomas, Zenon Plech, Dave Morton, Andy Galvin, Mark Loram, it’s a three-page feast for those who couldn’t wait to ‘Make it a Date – Friday at Eight’.

Plus more new exclusives with past favourites:

THE GRAHAME BROTHERS

To mark the re-opening of Birmingham, we visited two of the Brummies’ finest products – Alan and Andy Grahame, who remember their earliest shale days in the yellow-and-red, as well as their experiences at numerous other clubs, including Milton Keynes, Swindon and Oxford.

Alan talks about the controversial incident with Chris Morton that left him with a broken leg. He also reveals his uplifting battle to conquer Hodgkins Disease and his courageous return to enjoy yet more success with Cradley Heathens.

Andy reflects on the 1982 British Final, the greatest night of his career when he and his elder brother dominated the plum Coventry meeting.

We also catch up with youngest brother John and find out what all the Grahames are doing today.

GRAHAM DRURY

Still on the Birmingham revival theme, we talk in-depth to the man leading the Brummies’ comeback at Perry Barr. Graham looks back at his racing days with Ellesmere Port, Crewe, Hull and Long Eaton and why his court case against Oxford won him a hefty pay-out and led to a new career. Also, why John Berry doesn’t feature on Graham’s Christmas card list…

ALAN MOLYNEUX

One of the unsung heroes of Coventry’s back-to-back championship-winning teams of the late 70s, Alan explains the importance of his formidable partnership with Brandon legend Ole Olsen and what two spells with his home-town team Long Eaton did for his career. And why it went wrong for him in his one season with Sheffield.

MIKE KEEN

Another who was never an outstanding star, but a dependable middle order man nevertheless. Mike gave Swindon many years loyal service but he reveals why his well-earned testimonial turned out to be a wash-out in more ways than one.

IPSWICH 16-LAPPER

Starting a new series of ‘Bright Ideas’, we take a close look at the success of the marathon 16-lap race at Ipswich, where former Witches boss John Berry explains the background to this popular annual event that first caught the fans’ imagination in 1979.

IN MY DAY – PETER THOROGOOD

One of the most popular promoters of his time, Peter Thorogood reveals the good, the bad and the ugly from his managerial days with Rayleigh, Crayford and Arena Essex.

Plus…the final round of our MASTERMIND QUIZ and SPEEDWAY MUSEUM update.

Colour team photos of BELLE VUE (1976) and EDINBURGH (1981).

What, you still haven't subscribed? It still costs only £16 a year (for six issues), mailed direct to your door as soon as it's printed. Subscribe online at http://www.retro-speedway.com

MIKE KEEN

Another who was never an outstanding star, but a dependable middle order man nevertheless. Mike gave Swindon many years loyal service but he reveals why his well-earned testimonial turned out to be a wash-out in more ways than one.

I remember the Mike Keen Testimonial. Hottest and driest summer on record and it peed down all day. The track was absolutely drenched, and I rememver Mike Keen standing on the second bend during the meeting with a hosepipe and watering the track in pouring rain.

Dag Lovaas scored a maximum and was untouchable. Just how good was he in the wet?

I remember Alan Molyneaux riding for Sheffield, really surprised at the time as the track was not suited to him, and he had never gone that well at Sheffield.

He started out really poor, and seemed to fallout with the then promoter Ray Glover, but towards the end of the season he was producing some really fantastic performances.

Sam as the main feature?? Look like i might have to buy two copies as the girlfriend will probably knick mine. She's mad on Sam for some reason. :blink:

GRAHAM DRURY

Still on the Birmingham revival theme, we talk in-depth to the man leading the Brummies’ comeback at Perry Barr. Graham looks back at his racing days with Ellesmere Port, Crewe, Hull and Long Eaton

In this article Drury claims to have been the second-highest points scorer in the 1977 British League behind Gordon Kennett of White City.

It's incorrect. Although it was a fine season for him there wee a few riders who scored more points than him - Dave Jessup, Billy Sanders and Michael Lee as well as Kennett.

Mind you Drury is second to Kennett in terms of the number of rides taken.

Graham.

Guest Steve Dixon

Back in 93 or 4 i was in my truck on a night out and thought i would call in to a meeting at Long Eaton and doss in the car park afterwards(in my truck of course) i was having trouble finding the track and stopped a guy for directions,i am going there he said and in he got.

Noseying around the pits before the start and i saw him messing with the bikes, turned out to be Alan Molyneaux!

And he never said!! :D