British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil

Squad System / EL points restrictions.

What are your thoughts on a squad system in the EL? This could help reduce the problems with GP riders not being available but not sure how it would help reduce costs.

How about reducing the points, would this reduce the number of high average riders such as GP riders in a team?

Why not have different teams for a and b fixtures, a with gp riders b without?

I have read else where on the net an interesting idea where the heat leaders would be restricted to X number of points.

I may be wrong, but I feel the GP series is developing a life of its own.

More GPs appear on the horizon, and let's be honest, top riders put the GP

above eveything else. Not a complaint, just a fact.

Now is the time for the BSPA to act. GP riders to cease racing here.

Let them race in Sweden and Poland. Costs for the EL will be reduced, so

making it easiier for any potential PL sides to move up.

Maybe a squad system could work, but the EL cannot survive the GP.

Yes, but remember the GP rider restriction a few years back?

The EL was crap that year IMO, some teams had to have a poor second string at #3 because there wasn't enough heat leaders left for all the positions available.

....... but the EL cannot survive the GP.

I would think that without the GP riders, then SKY will walk away from British Speedway no matter what :!: That would be a disaster.

On the other hand Sky should give up the TV rights of PL and CL and allow the PL and CL to cut their own TV deals.

I have no idea what contractual arrangements are made between riders and promoters or riders and BSI, but if the BSPA got their butts into gear and had the British fixture list out early enough, surely all EL riders could then have clauses in their contracts stating they would ride in all their clubs league fixtures. I seem to remember reading that GP riders have to sign BSI contracts early in the year so the fixture list would need to be out by January. Obviously it would mean the EL working the fixtures around the GP calendar (most of those dates are already known) but I thought that was what the BLC was for.

I'm no great lover of the GP circus but I can see that there are enormous benefits to Speedway as a whole and if at all possible the GPs and the EL need to work together.

To return to the original topic....I cannot at present see a squad system working, there are simply not enough riders about to allow it. The only way it could work at the moment is to continue doubling up/down and I'm not sure I would be in favour of that.

To return to the original topic....I cannot at present see a squad system working, there are simply not enough riders about to allow it. The only way it could work at the moment is to continue doubling up/down and I'm not sure I would be in favour of that.

It could be argued that some EL promoters are taking the easy option of using the PL as an unlimited supply of very short term contract labour. Who can blame them? They don't have to negotiate terms & conditions nor even worry too much about whether they too get injured.........there are others just a phone call away.

Now if they had to name their squad for the season by the end of March...............and stick to it!...............

A variation of this could be based on one month loans. A guest couldn't be brought in for a single meeting but a loan period could be negotiated.

Although I don't know the figures, I get the impression that Sky are getting speedway very much on the cheap. When the current deal expires at the end of 2004 we should stick out for a figure a lot nearer the £50 odd million on offer for Rugby League which after all is basically a regional game. That kind of money, if spent wisely (that opens up an entirely different can of worms!) could do major things for our sport.

Although I don't know the figures, I get the impression that Sky are getting speedway very much on the cheap. When the current deal expires at the end of 2004 we should stick out for a figure a lot nearer the £50 odd million on offer for Rugby League which after all is basically a regional game. That kind of money, if spent wisely (that opens up an entirely different can of worms!) could do major things for our sport.

Sounds good RogH but it would be just the seven or eight EL clubs getting a share of the proceeds ? If the money was spread throughout speedway it would help to make a more level playing field. But can you really see that happening ?

If we secured that kind of money there would be enough for a decent share out to secure the future of clubs at all levels plus set up proper training facilities etc. However, the question of how such money would be distributed would no doubt be shrouded in the usual secrecy beloved of the powers that be.