British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Montine Dons

RON HOWES

In today's South London Press and Wednesday Nights Wimbledon Speedway Programme it has been announced that Former Wimbledon Rider Ron Howes has died at the age of 90.

Ron leaves behind his wife 3 sons and 2 daughters.

Ron started riding at Plough Lane in 1936 and later rode for Bristol. After the war he returned to wimbledon had a spell at west ham and captained rayleigh.

I would like to pass on all our wishes and condolances to the Ron's family and friends from all at Wimbledon Speedway.

I too heard of Rons Death, I knew him quite well through the V.S.R.A., we used to chat alot, particularly about the film "Once a jolly swagman" in which he doubled for Dirk Bogarde in the on track sequences, the Film was a particular favourite of mine from my youth......... I shall miss him very much.

I think of his family at this time.

Yes, I was very sorry to hear about Ron's death. I met him a couple of times at veteran dos and he was always very happy to talk about the 'old days' and had a fund of stories. Very sad.