British Speedway Forum

I see Kevin ride probably about ten times ,i first see him ride when on holiday down near Exeter and i did see him ride once at Poole for Exeter when they had Mauger,Autrey,Julian,Reinke,Shuter.But the thing that always stuck with me was what Simmo said he said he was a talented motor cyclist who was not a chancer.And from what i can remember Kevin was a proper racer good from the back exciting but my main memory was that i believe at the time he was averaging 9 plus.He was improving rapidly but the main thing was that no one had a bad word to say about him that he was a quiet man a decent human being that has to be something to be cherished never forgotten in my eyes god bless.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting and putting the record straight Bonnie.

I was at another track (possibly White City) when it was announced that your dad had a crash and lost his life, a hush went around the stadium and it stayed for the rest of the meeting. I think after that the riders just went through the motions to complete the meeting and the at the end the crowd left very quietly. I know there were four of us and a word was hardly spoken between us for the rest of the evening.

If I may ask you a question Bonnie ..... did / do you and your family still go to speedway following the accident or did the loss of your dad put you all off the sport totally?

RIP Kevin.

i was there the night kevin won the last ever race at west ham. there were plenty of tears from me that night, losing my favourite track at such a young age. RIP kevin, you will never be forgotten.

• Like 1

What a terribly sad day that was, I am glad that you have taken the time to put the record straight on what happened for everyone. Your father is still very well remembered from his time at Romford and his short time at West Ham (where he won the last ever race before it closed) - 36 years where does the time go?

There is details of Kevin and the last meeting at West Ham on the local history website here http://www.newhamstory.com/node/934, and a video including footage of the last race here http://www.britishpathe.com/video/west-ham-speedway-closes

RIP

What a terribly sad day that was, I am glad that you have taken the time to put the record straight on what happened for everyone. Your father is still very well remembered from his time at Romford and his short time at West Ham (where he won the last ever race before it closed) - 36 years where does the time go?

There is details of Kevin and the last meeting at West Ham on the local history website here http://www.newhamstory.com/node/934, and a video including footage of the last race here http://www.britishpathe.com/video/west-ham-speedway-closes

RIP

I cant thank you enough for these links. Seeing my Dad talking for the first time was amazing and I will be sure to show this to his Grandchildren. If you or anyone else has film footage of my Dad I would love to see it. Thanks again Bonnie

Thanks for posting and putting the record straight Bonnie.

I was at another track (possibly White City) when it was announced that your dad had a crash and lost his life, a hush went around the stadium and it stayed for the rest of the meeting. I think after that the riders just went through the motions to complete the meeting and the at the end the crowd left very quietly. I know there were four of us and a word was hardly spoken between us for the rest of the evening.

If I may ask you a question Bonnie ..... did / do you and your family still go to speedway following the accident or did the loss of your dad put you all off the sport totally?

RIP Kevin.

Thanks for your message. My Grandad George carried on selling spares for many years from his van but the rest of the family never went again.

I started following speedway when Ivan Mauger signed for Exeter, but Kevin quickly became my 'other' favourite rider. Like another poster I remember his yellow and black Rediffusion leathers and being thrilled when he won the Express and Echo Trophy.

He always took time to speak to the fans and was always a hundred percent racer. The disappointment I felt when he left the Falcons to join Poole was nothing to the sadness when my dad woke me up for school one morning to tell me Kevin had died the night before.

He was and stiil is one of my speedway heroes and the pleasure and joy he gave me as a young fan is something I'll never forget. To Kevin's daughter Bonnie your Dad really was one of the good guys.

Edited by DEEG
  • Like 3

27th April 1977, where have all those years gone......Gone but never forgotten

• Like 1

Yes i first saw Kevin properly in his short stint at West Ham, stylish rider and a nice bloke

I met Kevin two weeks before he passed away...........very friendly guy with a good word to say for everyone and loved a laugh and a joke.............

R.I.P. Kevin...........you were only at Poole a short time but you were well loved by us all...........

RP

• Like 2

I had the honour to see Kevin win an individual meeting at Exeter (13th May 1974 I believe) against some impressive opposition (including Ole Olsen). Kevin had been one of my favourite riders at Romford and learning of his tragic death in the morning after's papers was a blow I shall never forget.