British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Dave Jessup In Next Issue

What was he thinking... throwing away his racejackets and trophies?

If there was ever a time I wish I was a binman...

Had he never heard of E bay.

What was he thinking... throwing away his racejackets and trophies?

If there was ever a time I wish I was a binman...

Had he never heard of E bay.

Perhaps it wasn't about when he did it :)

Because he was so unspectacular I didn't really appreciate at the time how good DJ was - how GB could do with a rider like him now.

Also from my point of view enjoyed the Doug Wyer article, although I don't know what he is talking about as regards riding at no.3 therefore facing the opposition no. 1 twice - apart from 1980 when he had finished second in the averages in 1979 anyway, he always rode at no.1 as far as I can recall - in fact if you look at the picture with him, Reg and Rauli Makinen, there he is with the no.1 on!!

Does he regret never getting into a position where he knew, that if he won his next race he would be World Champion, coming to the tapes with the pressure on, knowing the next 60 seconds were everything.

Which race win gave him the most satisfaction and who did he beat. :)

Unless DJ reads and posts on the forum you might never know the answers to some of the questions posted here........ BACKTRACK DJ EDITION HAS ALREADY BEEN PRINTED AND IS ON SALE!!!!!!! :wink::lol:

it's like Speedway Star from my childhood all over again only this time I understand it a bit more  :lol:

You Must have a good memory Shazzy. :D

Read the DJ article, it seems that he made some good money out of Speedway, and maybe invested it well. Or maybe im reading to much between the lines. Remember him coming to Kings Lynn In place of Terry Betts, wasnt the most popular guy at the time....i wonder if his time was now, whether he would still refuse to bring more than the one bike to a meet. It use to be funny watching him come out on one of Mike Lee's bikes. :D

Edited by semion

Also from my point of view enjoyed the Doug Wyer article, although I don't know what he is talking about as regards riding at no.3 therefore facing the opposition no. 1 twice - apart from 1980 when he had finished second in the averages in 1979 anyway, he always rode at no.1 as far as I can recall - in fact if you look at the picture with him, Reg and Rauli Makinen, there he is with the no.1 on!!

Doug rode at no. 3 for a long time at Sheffield which meant, under the traditional 13 heat formula (as in 'happiness is 40-38'), facing the away team's no. 1 twice, in heats 11 & 13.

I think he also rode at no. 5 during his Sheffield career.

Edited by WATigerman

Doug rode at no. 3 for a long time at Sheffield which meant, under the traditional 13 heat formula (as in 'happiness is 40-38'), facing the away team's no. 1 twice, in heats 11 & 13.

I can only remember Doug riding number 1, I definately don't remember him riding at number 3 or 5.

Dave Jessup has agreed to be our 'Main Man' in issue 20, so does anyone have any specific and interesting questions they would like me to put to DJ, besides the obvious?

As well as the cruel luck he experienced in Wembley World Finals, we'll also be looking back over his long and illustrious career for club and country, including his spells with...

Eastbourne

Wembley

Leicester

Reading

King's Lynn

Wimbledon

Mildenhall

Aaagh too late... I wanted to ask about an incident I only vaguely recall myself at Long Eaton when he rode for Mildenhall. It was a wet Station Road and he led a walkout of Mildenheal senior riders who refused to take part, so we had the farcical scenes of LE riders going round for 5-1s. I am sure that he would say it was too dangerous but then on the other side if the LE riders and the Mildenhall juniors were happy to race, why did he force the walkout?

That was the days of the junior matches and I recall that the Mildenhall juniors were more than happy to race and took part in their meeting.

Oh well, guess will never know.

I must confess to being a bit of a 13 heat traditionalist as that's what I was "brought up" on - I do see why you would put your best rider at number 3. For instance, Belle Vue usually had their 3rd heat leader at no.1 (eg. Alan Wilkinson/Larry Ross) and PC at no.3, presumably as he would more than match most other team's number one, so it made sense to put him twice against whoever it was :)

I can't speak for earlier than 1977 but I am still certain that the Flyer rode at number one for at least the 3 seasons of 1977 to 1979. The picture in Backtrack is from 1978 as it features Rauli Makinen.

I remember his years at Leicester, and I imagine that Blackbird Road would have been one of his favourite tracks. I think the main problem was that the track was so fair that it gave home riders very little home advantage. Great days though and was very upset when he failed to take the World Title. Thanks for the good times Dave. :wink:

I must confess to being a bit of a 13 heat traditionalist as that's what I was "brought up" on - I do see why you would put your best rider at number 3.  For instance, Belle Vue usually had their 3rd heat leader at no.1 (eg. Alan Wilkinson/Larry Ross) and PC at no.3, presumably as he would more than match most other team's number one, so it made sense to put him twice against whoever it was  :)

I can't speak for earlier than 1977 but I am still certain that the Flyer rode at number one for at least the 3 seasons of 1977 to 1979.  The picture in Backtrack is from 1978 as it features Rauli Makinen.

Tigerblade I agree with as far as I am aware Doug rode the number 1 slot from 77 to 79.

Tigerblade I agree with as far as I am aware Doug rode the number 1 slot from 77 to 79.

.......remembering of course that Doug's Sheffield career pre-dates 1977 by quite a few years...............

Edited by WATigerman

.......remembering of course that Doug's Sheffield career pre-dates 1977 by quite a few years...............

Of course, but I started to go on a regular basis from 77 onwards and for those four season Doug rode number 1.