British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Dave Jessup In Next Issue

I take your point although I have to disagree on this one. He learnt his speedway at Eastbourne which is like swearing in my book(no disrespect just proper rivals) in the good old days. :)

A superb read about Crayford, Barney Kennett and Kent's adopted Dave Jessup. Any chance of an Alan Sage interview. :)

Didn't quite have the same rivalry as Eastbourne for some reason. Paul Woods would be good for an interviews as he rode for all three clubs. :)

Dave Jessup has agreed to be our 'Main Man' in issue 20, so does anyone have any specific and interesting questions they would like me to put to DJ, besides the obvious?

As well as the cruel luck he experienced in Wembley World Finals, we'll also be looking back over his long and illustrious career for club and country, including his spells with...

Eastbourne

Wembley

Leicester

Reading

King's Lynn

Wimbledon

Mildenhall

Perhaps because he wasn't as spectacular as PC, as headline-grabbing as Mike Lee or as aggressive as Kenny Carter, Dave's class tended to be underestimated by some? He was certainly superbly consistent for his clubs and England and one of the country's all-time greats.

Can anyone really remember him getting out of shape or in trouble on the track? He always looked so neat, compact and steady, didn't he?

And, of course, his brilliant passing manouevre to win THAT race in the 1974 WTC final at Katowice still rates as one of the greatest televised speedway races of all-time.

Thanks for your input....

Tony Mac

don't forget the west ham hammers who he rode for in 1969.

yeah ive got a question for him why has got such a chip on his shoulder found him to be the most miserable ive ever had to interview

I can only say as I see, but I stayed in a hotel in Reading last year whilst I was working there, and it was the night of the British Final. I got chatting to a guy and his wife about the meeting and speedway in general, and chatted for a good half hour before i realised who it was; The Legendary Dave Jessup. I found him to be a warm friendly guy who chatted at length to me about his own speedway career and his golf. So as I said, say as I see, lovely bloke who raises millions for charity through his golf connections. Top man.

So as I said, say as I see, lovely bloke who raises millions for charity through his golf connections. Top man.

Surely not "millions"..? :unsure:

Can I put in a request that someone drags this thread up again in another 10 months time when it's even less relevant than now...

I remember his years at Leicester, and I imagine that Blackbird Road would have been one of his favourite tracks. I think the main problem was that the track was so fair that it gave home riders very little home advantage. Great days though and was very upset when he failed to take the World Title. Thanks for the good times Dave. :wink:

Although not my home track, Leicester was my favourite track in the country always thought it was a fabulous racing circuit with so many different lines. Never had the opportunity to see DJ there but Les Collins was awesome to watch around Blackbird Road.

Edited by mikegum

Can I put in a request that someone drags this thread up again in another 10 months time when it's even less relevant than now...

Someone jumped the gun eight months early!!! :lol::wink: