British Speedway Forum
Guest bluesboyfil

what song reminds you of speedway

Tokyo Melody, I think it was called. It was used to introduce TV coverage of the Tokyo Olympics in 1964. I remember it from my first visits to Hyde Road in 1967.

Regards

Frank

Cheers Chadster. Was indeed Tokyo Melody I was thinking of (although I recall it sounding far more impressive blasting out of the Hyde Road speakers than it (Youtube upload) did when played via my laptop just now!).

tunes of glory. As the riders come out the pits, to sit on their bikes in front of the fans at the start tapes in old meadowbank Edinburgh.

After spending my youth at Foxhall, Waterden Road and Arena its the following.

TELSTAR

MAGNIFICENT 7

BLACK FOREST (something like that, always played at the end of a meeting at Foxhall)

After spending my youth at Foxhall, Waterden Road and Arena its the following.

TELSTAR

MAGNIFICENT 7

BLACK FOREST (something like that, always played at the end of a meeting at Foxhall)

......................... are you SURE that wasn't the Gateau Gavan? :shock: :shock: :t::blink:

"All my Life's a Circle"

Edited by BritPete

Runaway by Del Shannon in our comeback year of 1961. Played on a cold misty Monday evening, the clavioline solo was eerie in the darkness and the track lights.

My own favourite song, along with a couple of posters on here as well.

'Fire' by the Crazy world of Arthur Brown now reminds me (sadly) of Newport. Seriously though, I remember Sonny & Cher's 'I got you Babe' from the 1965 season at Somerton Park, especially (for some obscure reason) that magical night the Russians were there!

Hi White Knight reckon you are thinking Of "A Walk in the Black Forest" by Horst Jankowski- I also am reminded of speedway whenever I hear this-it was a hit in 1965 and played at Newport-hope this helps. Another one is "From the Bottom of My Heart" by The Moody Blues-was the flipside of "Go Now" I think. Also "Help" by Beatles. "We Gotta Get out of this Place" by The Animals which I remember singing to myself as I hitch-hiked from London to Poole to see the British Semi- Final there. Also "Mr.Tambourine Man by The Byrds

• Like 1

In a land of make believe - bucks fizz :D

Hey boy hey girl....The Chemical brothers...the music used as the riders revved their engines prior to the tapes going up in heat 1 at Swindon. Inevitably it also reminds me of the great Leigh Adams emerging from the first two bends in front....

On the basis of longevity (at Swindon)...

Sweet Home Alabama - Skynyrd

Don't Fear The Reaper - Blue Oyster

and more recently (just) Ace Of Spades - Motorhead

Also at the Stade de Lite Swindon, think it's called Immigrant Song Led Zeppelin? used to have Vertigo..U2, and The Final Countdown. Don't think they play Red, Red Robin anymore.

Perhaps they should have more tunes from local artists such as XTC, Justin Hayward, Supertramp, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Jamie Cullum etc.,

"Boys of Summer" of which there are several versions, although my favourite is by the Ataris.

"Catch" by Kosheen, ya know, "out of my way i'm coming, i'm gonna catch you if i can".

And oddly enough, the one that reminds me of the BSPA "Free Speech for the Dumb" by Metallica

'Wheels' - which was the Berwick Bandits theme tune - and still is after 45 years!

Also, for some reason, 'The Banner Man' by Blue Mink.

It doesn't matter where I hear these tunes now, they transport me, in an instant, straight back to Shielfield Park in the days of Doug Wyer, Maury Robinson, Mark Hall, Roy Williams ...

This must be a record. Nearly TEN years from one post to the next :blink:

on the subject .....

Harry J & The Allstars - The Liquidator (used at Wolves FC for years also)

Martha Reeves & The Vandelas - Jimmy Mac (always played for Jim McMillan at Wolves)