British Speedway Forum
Guest bluesboyfil

what song reminds you of speedway

You're wrong. And with respect, I sometimes think you are deliberately contentious just for the sake of it. No-one is disagreeing that the sport has to move with the times, but some things are traditional, and should be preserved, often because they are part of a clubs identity. During the time of the last promotions' tenure at my own club, our 'colours' subtly changed to a grotesque neon banana-yellow and black; it is, should be, and always has been AMBER and black. Those have been Newport's sporting colours since 1912, and those are the colours Newport people identify with. So, lighten up Backless, some traditions should not be changed.

No lightening up required - however, if we're going to hang on to a tawdry bit of fluff because it's "tradtional", why don't stadia keep the bogs that can be detected from 50 yards away - oh, that's right, some do. Let's have a nice brass band during the interval & at half time in the cup final. It's supposed to be "Years Gone By" - not last weekend. Still, it fits in with Donald & Elsie's record request for their Golden Wedding & their record request for something not too rowdy from the hit parade.

I give up.....No-one, least of all me, is sentimentally attached to the kind of issues you describe, but some traditions shouldn't be messed with.

Various 10cc songs ,gerry rafferty baker street andrew gold never let her slip away. Ahh those were the days walking from my house in gigantic flares and platforms 2 miles to watch bristol bulldogs at eastville.

And doesn't that, in one sentence, sum up why the sport is dying on it's arse? A 1960's theme park.Without the interesting bits.

Old Music itself isn't the problem, more the quality. 'The Magnificent 7' seems to me to be a stirring anthem and worked brilliantly at Hackney, 'Those Magnificent Men on their Flying Machines' doesn't cut it at all at Rye House. Traditional music can still be part of the spectacle if it is traditionally associated with the club, as 'You'll never Walk Alone' shows in football

I don't know about music to remind me of speedway as such but sometimes when reading certain postings on this and other speedway forums, that old Bo Diddley classic "Hey Mona!" springs to mind! :wink:

" Anchors Aweigh", Dutch Maritime Band with the Dutch Swing College Band. This was played at Poole when the track staff and St John's Ambulance crew marched on to the track in 1980,s

I give up.....No-one, least of all me, is sentimentally attached to the kind of issues you describe, but some traditions shouldn't be messed with.

We can't but help being sentimentally attached to the back straight bogs at Swindon......they are legendary and part of the very fabric of our clapped out stadium. Tracing paper for bog roll, the stench of pi**, and plagued by Wood lice......

We can't but help being sentimentally attached to the back straight bogs at Swindon......they are legendary and part of the very fabric of our clapped out stadium. Tracing paper for bog roll, the stench of pi**, and plagued by Wood lice......

But you could still eat your dinner off the floor ER? it is that clean also mind the big hairy spider in the corner!!

But you could still eat your dinner off the floor ER? it is that clean also mind the big hairy spider in the corner!!

Oi!!

I like hairy Spiders!!! :t:B) B) B)

A cool song M-Bike by P J Harvey (from her ballsy bluesy rock era not her recent twittering Kate Bush on speed days) includes the following lyrics

His m-bike's clean

You polish that thing

He looks her over more than me

But I won't let it get to me

Yeah, he can play with his machine

Night and day, rain or shine

Looks at her shape, not at mine

I'm not complaining

I think it's neat

Yeah, he can play with his machine

But all he's speaking and all he sees

Is just his motor bike, not me

No, I won't let it get to me

Can't stop thinking of his goddamn machine

Take that lady coasting west

Ride his motor over the edge

Yeah, I could break her

Break her, break me

But get rid of that goddamn machine

Yeah, I could break her

Break her, break me

Get rid of that goddamn machine

Yes, I'm gonna break her

Think what you like

I f****** hate his motor bike

Edited by manchesterpaul

It would make a good soundtrack to a compilation reel at the end of a broadcast. Although SGP and SEC might have a problem with a couple of F-Bombs in it lol. Alternatively an excerpt would be very good for the introduction to a programme.

There's a short clip here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESoSAjmLXaI

Billy Bragg has a rare track called Speedway Heroes.

In this link he plays the song and says he used to go to the sport at his local track that has since closed down

Being as he is from Barking, i guess he was a Raleigh Rockets fan,or maybe a West Ham supporter.In the interview he is full of praise for the sport.

Worth a listen

• Like 1

In this link he plays the song and says he used to go to the sport at his local track that has since closed down

Being as he is from Barking, i guess he was a Raleigh Rockets fan,or maybe a West Ham supporter.In the interview he is full of praise for the sport.

Worth a listen

Great little clip that Gary, thanks for posting it, I'd be inclined to go for West Ham as he mentioned a big stadium, more likely Custom house. Either way it was clear that he did used to attend, thought his description for the American presenter was brilliant.

cheers.

Worth a listen

Many thanks seconded. I've got a fair bit of Billy Bragg's output but was unaware of this interview and had forgotten about the song. Very on the ball by the lady interviewer to question if it was 'speedway' as America knows it ie Cars.

Thanks again.

Red light spells danger by Billy Ocean. An excellent song, but does remind me of the eerie silence in a speedway stadium as the crowd watches in anticipation that a rider is ok after a fall.....