British Speedway Forum
chris67bug

Name Of Famous Rider Who Committed Suicide?

A number of famous people have ended up committing awful acts which have led to the adulation they'd earned by right being removed from their memory; and I'm sorry to say that I believe this applies to Kenny Carter.

My sentiments exactly.

Yes what KC did was wrong but............. a speedway rider does believe it or not have a personal life which REALLY is none of anyones business, what he did off track has nothing to do with what he achieved on track and that goes for all the others riders that you feel have wronged "Our" sport for having personal lives!!!!! :angry:

There but for the grace of god go I .......... mind your halos don't slip you could end up strangling yourselves :rolleyes:

Yes what KC did was wrong but............. a speedway rider does believe it or not have a personal life which REALLY is none of anyones business, what he did off track has nothing to do with what he achieved on track and that goes for all the others riders that you feel have wronged "Our" sport for having personal lives!!!!!  :angry:

There but for the grace of god go I .......... mind your halos don't slip you could end up strangling yourselves  :rolleyes:

Agree, we cant airbrush him from history because that would be devalueing history, what he did on and off track need to remembered

Yes what KC did was wrong but............. a speedway rider does believe it or not have a personal life which REALLY is none of anyones business, what he did off track has nothing to do with what he achieved on track and that goes for all the others riders that you feel have wronged "Our" sport for having personal lives!!!!!  :angry:

There but for the grace of god go I .......... mind your halos don't slip you could end up strangling yourselves  :rolleyes:

I can't believe these comments shazzy..!!

He murdered his wife..!! That's not a minor indiscretion in his "personal life"..!!

I suggest you reread your posting again and strongly consider whether what you wrote can ever be appropriate as a description of the "wrong" thing that Kenny Carter did..??!!!

Are you suggesting that if someone murders their spouse this is "none of anyones business"..??!! Or that somehow we might all do this in certain circumstances as your "but for the grace of god go I" comment implies..

Oh, and I don't know where you get the idea that anyone has mentioned all these "other riders who've wronged the sport"..: I've made it 100% clear that we're only talking about the appalling case of Kenny Carter and nothing or nobody else..

So he did - it was a crime passionel. He wasn't the first and he won't be the last to kill his partner and himself in the name of love - people do, from many walks of life. But we shouldn't judge KC for that act, nor even speculate about the mental state you need to be in to carry out such a tragic and desperate act - it was nothing to do with speedway; our job is to remember him on the track.

Quote 1 above

If he went off with someone elses wife I'd call him something much more than a Pastor!

Quote 2 below also from Shazzy about another riders off track activities:unsure: :blink:

I think we need to remember that the couple had two young children, and I doubt whether they want everybody discussing what happened to their father and mother.

The Carter family has had more than its fair share of heartache and tradegy and I think that their needs to be some respect for their feelings, who knows what happened that terrible day and what was going through their minds, an they are not here to answer those questions.

So he did - it was a crime passionel.  He wasn't the first and he won't be the last to kill his partner and himself in the name of love - people do, from many walks of life.  But we shouldn't judge KC for that act, nor even speculate about the mental state you need to be in to carry out such a tragic and desperate act - it was nothing to do with speedway; our job is to remember him on the track.

totally agree andym,of course i dont condone what kenny did,but you cant dismiss his achievements on the track.

A couple of years ago I saw on the local news that an ex work colleague of mine was killed by her partner who then went on to deliberately crash his car and kill himself. At the funeral my ex-colleague's mother was very firm on the fact that although the man involved had done an evil thing, that act did not destroy all the good things he hed done. He had just made a terrible, terrible, mistake, which he had regretted in an instant and was so mortified about he killed himself. I don't know the full details about Kenny Carter, but I do know his riding in the '85 Wembley final took my breath away. Yes he did something evil, but he also obviously felt regret. It's not my place to forgive him, but it's not my place to judge him either. I have always felt really sorry that it had happened, just as I felt when I heard about my friends Rebecca and Tim.

Guest Donsking

He murdered his wife..!! That's not a minor indiscretion in his "personal life"..!!

I suggest you reread your posting again and strongly consider whether what you wrote can ever be appropriate as a description of the "wrong" thing that Kenny Carter did..??!!!

Are you suggesting that if someone murders their spouse this is "none of anyones business"..??!!  Or that somehow we might all do this in certain circumstances as your "but for the grace of god go I" comment implies..

Oh, and I don't know where you get the idea that anyone has mentioned all these "other riders who've wronged the sport"..: I've made it 100% clear that we're only talking about the appalling case of Kenny Carter and nothing or nobody else..

He also then killed himself, which, despite what people will tell you about it being a coward's way out, takes immense mental courage to even try, let alone actually do it.

As to your second point, no matter how much you might think you aren't capable of it, if you have real passion for things, as KC obviously had, then you may find that circumstances drive you to do things you would never believe you would do in a million years.

For what it's worth, I always thought Kenny was an enormously talented rider that should've achieved more, but he spent too much time behaving like a petulent kid; frankly, I thought he was egotistical, immature tw*t!

Twenty odd years later, I've mellowed a bit; the years have added wisdom, as they are wont to do, and my own life's twists and turns cause me to look at his actions in a different way.

Killing someone is wrong, and a more responsible (and probably duller) man would've stood up and faced the music; but whatever the rights or wrongs of his actions off track, what he did on track can't be ignored; to do so is to show a lack of understanding of a man passionate about all things, not least his chosen sport.

Really! like I couldn't believe your comments as well, you've done nothing but slate KC all the way through this thread, what he did was wrong but that doesn't take away what the man did within British Speedway.

No one is saying that what he did was right, he took his and his wifes lives leaving their children orphans........... but you are trying to take away his speedway as well :angry:

Quote 1 above

Quote 2 below also from Shazzy about another riders off track activities:unsure:  :blink:

Nothing what I'd expect from you Iris dragging up old posts from other threads and at the time of my posting of "quote 2" my old man had just run off with a ! so my comments there were a tad justified don't you think :angry:

As for the thread in the first place was the person who started this sent in to wind the forum up because if they were it's bloody worked this end!!!!! :mad:

Nothing what I'd expect from you Iris dragging up old posts from other threads and at the time of my posting of "quote 2" my old man had just run off with a ! so my comments there were a tad justified don't you think  :angry:

Yeah and i'm supposed to know that am i?. :unsure:

Still what ever happens in your family has nowt to do with this,so i don't think it is justified

Anyway,slightly off topic,but didn't Kenny have a brother that was going well on superbikes or something.Seem to remember him being the next big British talent.Anyone know what happened to his bike career? :unsure:

Yeah and i'm supposed to know that am i?. :unsure:

Still what ever happens in your family has nowt to do with this,so i don't think it is justified

Exactly know you are not supposed to know that ............. so you don't know the reasons behind what KC did either I'm not condoning (sp) what he did in no way shape or form I just don't think it is anything to do with his speedway career and what he achieved for British Speedway. Also what did or didn't go on in his private life has nothing to do with speedway either!

................. but I do know his riding in the '85 Wembley final............

???

"...........Yes he did something evil, but he also obviously felt regret................."

Please do share your knowledge with us and tell us exactly how you know he felt regret, as opposed to say not wanting to face up to any consequences that may have arisen from events.

Edited by WATigerman

???

Please do share your knowledge with us and tell us exactly how you know he felt regret, as opposed to say not wanting to face up to any consequences that may have arisen from events.

if you knew the man,and knew his wife,you would know there were extenuating circumstances,thats not to say his actions were in anyway justified,but we do all have very different breaking points.

there are many people on this forum who disagree with my viewpoint,and given the serious nature of what happened,i would assume their thoughts are pretty much set in stone. and to those people i would say i respect your position and your opinions,and we will have to agree to disagree.

regards your point i suppose his suicide is taken by many to express his regret,but it has to be said your scenario,is equally as valid,and we will probably never find the absolute truth.

on a more pleasant note,do you live near perth?

Edited by stuart road