British Speedway Forum
chris67bug

Name Of Famous Rider Who Committed Suicide?

if you knew the man,and knew his wife,you would know there were extenuating circumstances,thats not to say his actions were in anyway justified,but we do all have very different breaking points.

there are many people on this forum who disagree with my viewpoint,and given the serious nature of what happened,i would assume their thoughts are pretty much set in stone. and to those people i would say i respect your position and your opinions,and we will have to agree to disagree.

regards your point i suppose his suicide is taken by many to express his regret,but it has to be said your scenario,is equally as valid,and we will probably never find the absolute truth.

on a more pleasant note,do you live near perth?

I didn't know the man, nor his wife. I did however, as a fan of the era, see him ride many times. A very balanced reply to my point for which I commend you. There are some (understandably) very strong views on this subject and I think it's important that differing viewpoints can be expressed whilst not shared.

As a matter of fact yes I do. I live in Perth and have done for quite some years now.

Just for information, I suffer from periodic depression, as to many other people. When the illness afflicts us, many sufferers find themselves thinking and fantasising about suicide, even if we never do anything about it. We don't want it - it just comes with the territory. When you're in that mindset it might only take one event to push you over the edge to enact those fantasies and to do something totally beyond all reason. And while you're doing it, it might appear totally reasonable and justified - but that's the disease talking. The moral is not to judge too harshly, however terrible the circumstances might appear - KC might have found himself in a position beyond all control due to an illness. :(

As a fellow sufferer over the years, I have to agree AndyM. I contemplated it, but never actually tried. I think it was because I was scared of failure.

Since we're talking about this-I have been in the same situation as the two previous posts. Unless you have been in the depths of depression it is tough to comprehend what it's like. Its like being in the bottom of a black pit with no way out. Fortunately there are meds available-but some people won't avail themselves of them. My own feeling is that if you had a pain in your knee you'd take a pill for it so you should also do so if you have a"pain" in your head One of the disadvantages of the various medications, however, is that -until they kick in which is usually about two weeks- you can feel even worse and can be tempted to act impetuously. Its important to recognise this and make sure you realise that this is a feeling associated with the meds and say to yourself "calm down it will pass." I don't know, and we could analyse forever unproductively, whether Mr. Carter was in this situation and taking medication.It is true that if you have a tendency to be a risk taker or act impetuously(as he may have been given his occupation and personality),the meds are more likely to have this adverse effect. I do know that if you commit a rash act that is irreversible, an instant later you would realise what you'd done-a terrible realisation indeed! We'll never know the cause of these awful events-but I would say to anyone out there if you have terrible depression-get help-nothing to be ashamed of-its a chemical imbalance and can be treated. Don't suffer pointlessly.

So did a Halifax ? rider who had done well in Div 2 Riders Championship was it Ian Gledhill

I could be wrong re Ian Gledhill-its happened before-can anybody out in Forumland help re this. By the way if you go to Youtube and enter "Kenny Carter speedway" you will see many of Kenny's greatest races. Also if any Canadians are reading this when does the Paris season start-can't wait!!

Definitely not Ian Gledhill.

I can think of Craig Hodgson, Kevin Price, David Smart and Ingar Hvamstad who also took their own lives in addition to those already mentioned.

I could be wrong re Ian Gledhill-its happened before-can anybody out in Forumland help re this. By the way if you go to Youtube and enter "Kenny Carter speedway" you will see many of Kenny's greatest races. Also if any Canadians are reading this when does the Paris season start-can't wait!!

For Canadian fixtures try:

http://www.speedwaybikes.com/canada/csra/schedule/htm

or just google to:

Canadian Speedway Racing Association

I think Paris Speedway starts Friday June 1.

Definitely not Ian Gledhill.

I can think of Craig Hodgson, Kevin Price, David Smart and Ingar Hvamstad who also took their own lives in addition to those already mentioned.

I seem to remember that the circumstances fo David's death were never released at the time (2004). Has it since been confirmed that it was suicide?

I seem to remember that the circumstances fo David's death were never released at the time (2004). Has it since been confirmed that it was suicide?

I believe so. A friend of mine worked with him at Rover, that was what they were informed.

Also the local rag reported it as such.

Edited by frigbo

Former Stoke rider Ian Robertson took his own life and dosen't even get a mention :(

Glad that someone mentioned Robbo, great chap.

Also i know he was'nt English but did'nt Edward Jancarz go out in similar circumstances?

Glad that someone mentioned Robbo, great chap.

Also i know he was'nt English but did'nt Edward Jancarz go out in similar circumstances?

I believe his wife stabbed him to death.