British Speedway Forum
TonyM

Speedways Future

6 of the last 12 finals were in inadequate venues, Norden, Pocking, Bradford & Vojens, are you suggesting this running into the ground took 12 years

Not a direct follow -on to your posting,but it reminded me that I read somewhere in the last few days that a track is being laid at Wembley for car racing.Speedway next?

Even Wembley, aside from the first few post war finals and the golden jubilee final in 1978 never drew capacity crowds, the much talked about 92,000 in 1981 was a fallacy, the real crowd was in fact only in the 70,000s. Wembley even had a world final crowd of only 55,000 one year.

Hmm, interesting use of the word "only"!! :shock:

70,000 for the '81 WF is pretty darned impressive by any standards; and as you say three years' earlier it was capacity! If its lowest crowd all the yeears the 'Empire Stadium' staged the WF was 55k then I'd say it was a very successful event... :neutral:

Don't know what Cardiff gets for the early season GP round it stages; but IF there was a World Final at Wembley now, I'd anticipate very close to capacity.. After all, if tens of thousands turn up in Cardiff for what is basically an all-but meaningless meeting (e.g Greg Hancock moving aside to let Chris Harris through...: only possible because frankly how much does it matter to Hancock or indeed anyone else that a Brit is allowed to win one round.. :rolleyes: ) - then imagine what interest they'd be in a London-staged event where, - shock! horror! - the actual World Championship was up for grabs on the night itself...! :unsure:

Hmm, interesting use of the word "only"!! :shock:

70,000 for the '81 WF is pretty darned impressive by any standards; and as you say three years' earlier it was capacity! If its lowest crowd all the yeears the 'Empire Stadium' staged the WF was 55k then I'd say it was a very successful event... :neutral:

Don't know what Cardiff gets for the early season GP round it stages; but IF there was a World Final at Wembley now, I'd anticipate very close to capacity.. After all, if tens of thousands turn up in Cardiff for what is basically an all-but meaningless meeting (e.g Greg Hancock moving aside to let Chris Harris through...: only possible because frankly how much does it matter to Hancock or indeed anyone else that a Brit is allowed to win one round.. :rolleyes: ) - then imagine what interest they'd be in a London-staged event where, - shock! horror! - the actual World Championship was up for grabs on the night itself...! :unsure:

or even a cardiff based event where the world championship was up for grabs

or even a cardiff based event where the world championship was up for grabs

But you will never ever again see a world championship on the old format. GPs are here to stay - the FIM are adamant on that IMO.

But you will never ever again see a world championship on the old format. GPs are here to stay - the FIM are adamant on that IMO.

Which, in this first week of September (for a long time the traditional time to stage the World Final) is a crying shame. :cry::cry:

Indeed I'd go as far to say that Speedway in Britain (at least as a major sport) WILL die out as a direct result of the criminal decision made some years back now, to strip the sport of its jewel in the crow;n and relegate us here to merely staging a utterly meaningless early round of the replacement (and hopelessly flawed..) GP series.... :mad:

Which, in this first week of September (for a long time the traditional time to stage the World Final) is a crying shame. :cry::cry:

Indeed I'd go as far to say that Speedway in Britain (at least as a major sport) WILL die out as a direct result of the criminal decision made some years back now, to strip the sport of its jewel in the crow;n and relegate us here to merely staging a utterly meaningless early round of the replacement (and hopelessly flawed..) GP series.... :mad:

The GP Series of events work in other forms of motorcycle sport - look at the publicity they get. Why do they not work for speedway? The GP format is also the mainstream of Formula One car racing with each round building up tremendous interest.

The GP Series of events work in other forms of motorcycle sport - look at the publicity they get. Why do they not work for speedway? The GP format is also the mainstream of Formula One car racing with each round building up tremendous interest.

But Speedway is an entirely different sport!

Come on JH, you're an old timer (and legendary for your old timer ways... :wink: ): I can't believe you don't hanker for those peerless nights at Wembley.

I've been privileged to attend many huge sporting events but nothing, literally nothing compares with the take-your-breath-away excitement of the old World Speedway Final (33 years tomorrow- gulp! - since my first one !! :shock: )

And incidentally, I've not noticed the "GP Series of events... in other forms of motorcycle sport" attracting particularly significant publicity.. :rolleyes:

Bet you any money a World Speedway Final at the new Wembley and/or the Olympic Stadium would though..!!! :approve:

But Speedway is an entirely different sport!

Come on JH, you're an old timer (and legendary for your old timer ways... :wink: ): I can't believe you don't hanker for those peerless nights at Wembley.

I've been privileged to attend many huge sporting events but nothing, literally nothing compares with the take-your-breath-away excitement of the old World Speedway Final (33 years tomorrow- gulp! - since my first one !! :shock: )

And incidentally, I've not noticed the "GP Series of events... in other forms of motorcycle sport" attracting particularly significant publicity.. :rolleyes:

Bet you any money a World Speedway Final at the new Wembley and/or the Olympic Stadium would though..!!! :approve:

I fully agree that there was an exceptional magic about attending a Wembley world final. It was indeed a unique speedway experience to attend one. Sadly, I don't think the FIM will ever turn back the clock to the old formula - bodies like that never admit defeat. :rolleyes:

Elsewhere a Poll is being run on what is favoured by supporters - the old type of world championship or the GPs. At the early count, the old style world championship is way out in front. There's details about it on

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

It's also a Topic in this section of the BSF.

Edited by speedyguy

A question for oldies ;)

Was the old one-off World Final shown live on TV during the 70s, 80s and early 90s?

A question for oldies ;)

Was the old one-off World Final shown live on TV during the 70s, 80s and early 90s?

Not so much of the "old timers"!! :wink:

The 1972 World Speedway Final at Wembley (when, incidentally, I was 12!! :wink: ) was shown live on prime time ITV on a Saturday night..!!! :shock:

A slot that now would only ever be sacrificed from the stable diet of X-Factor type shows for a very important Football match..: would have to be World Cup or European Championship.

So, yes, the answer to your implied question is that the Speedway World Final had a MUCH higher profile than the GP nonsense..!!! :neutral:

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

A question for oldies ;)

Don't think the 1977 World final wasn't shown live but is was shown on the following Saturday by both BBC Grandstand & ITV World Of Sport. Inevitably there was some repetition of heats but I think nearly all were shown between to two programmes. In fact, I filled in the meeting programme printed in the Speedway Star as I watched the two transmissions....

Don't think the 1977 World final wasn't shown live but is was shown on the following Saturday by both BBC Grandstand & ITV World Of Sport. Inevitably there was some repetition of heats but I think nearly all were shown between to two programmes. In fact, I filled in the meeting programme printed in the Speedway Star as I watched the two transmissions....

Your copy will be drier than mine then...: my meetying programme being rendered a soggy mess of pulp in the torrential Gothenberg rain...!!!!

I never knew it was shown on both Grandstand AND WoS :shock:

Your copy will be drier than mine then...: my meetying programme being rendered a soggy mess of pulp in the torrential Gothenberg rain...!!!!

I never knew it was shown on both Grandstand AND WoS :shock:

Sure was and though I don't say Mauger ever walked on water, well not very often (!), the world saw him and the entire field ride on it that year. Gotta be the dampest World Final or Important meet ever....

The 1981 world final was shown live on TV, well I say live, it was shown late and showed recordings of the earlier heats until they caught up with it live, if you get what I mean,

I've got a recording of it, although I went to Wembley, I set the recorder to record it, but as it ran late, I didn.t set the timer long enough so lost the end

:blink: ?... :unsure:

Regards.

After all, if tens of thousands turn up in Cardiff for what is basically an all-but meaningless meeting (e.g Greg Hancock moving aside to let Chris Harris through...: only possible because frankly how much does it matter to Hancock or indeed anyone else that a Brit is allowed to win one round.. :rolleyes: )