British Speedway Forum
colin

Open Soon?

And isn't one of the old JAP's once the property of 1947-49 Southampton rider George Bason. I have read that it is a five-valve engine in a Brine frame - now owned by Pete Seaton (I think) and on loan to the museum.

I don't know but I remember my parents talking about George Bason. In fact, I remember finding a photograph they had of him :) 1949 was the year of my birth and the first time my parents took me to the Stadium - so they told me :D

Made the trip yesterday to see the museum. George Barclay who set it up and runs it was a wonderful man to talk to. Picked a great bargain second hand book on Speedway up entitled The Speedway Annual-Complied by Len Silver and Peter Douglas written and published in 1969.

The only downside with the museum is that admission is via Paradise Park which charges £12 for Adults or £40 for a family ticket(2+2). George did say that they were trying to do some deals for admission just for the Speedway Museum for coach parties but one problem is the overall layout of the park and that you can walk all around and see everthing once you are through the pay entrance.

One way round it is if you parked outside and sneak in via the main gate as the pay booth is 100 yards into the Park ;););)

Edited by craig

My son went with his mates on their usual weekly trip to Paradise Park last week. He loved it, though it needed someone to explain to him who all the riders were and what historic events were being commemorated. However, he did say they weren't charged to look around the museum, so I don't know quite how they managed that.

The only downside with the museum is that admission is via Paradise Park which charges £12 for Adults or £40 for a family ticket(2+2).

only £7 per person if you have a group booking of 20+, coach already booked for 29th Sept.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but what are the opening times of the museum?

The museum is open 9.30-5.30/6 7 days a week March to October after that time not quite sure.

As for the admission if someone had enough money the museum could have got there own land and then charged what they wanted. We must be greatful to Pete Sampson for letting the museum have the land otherwise this museum would never had happened.

Please also remeber that the museum is a charity so when you have looked round any change you have in your pocket put it in the pot on the counter.

I'm coming on the Cardiff weekend and going before the mighty Bears race Rye House. Hopefully the museum will generate alot of money during the GP period as i'm sure many wil have the same idea.

I'm coming on the Cardiff weekend and going before the mighty Bears race Rye House. Hopefully the museum will generate alot of money during the GP period as i'm sure many wil have the same idea.

I went with my son a couple of weeks ago and got there around 4pm on a Saturday - we got a late entrance fee price of £7 each for the museum and the wildlife park - great way to spend a couple of hours before popping into Hoddesdon for a chinese and then onto Rye House - great day/evening out. We are Reading fans based in Woking and will be doing the same trip again very soon - my older son was really miffed as he wasn't able to make it!!

And can I say what great memories the museum brought back I could have wallowed in there all day!

Well done to all concerned - great job!!

only £7 per person if you have a group booking of 20+, coach already booked for 29th Sept.

If you collect Tesco club card points then you can use your vouchers to purchase tickets to Paradise Wildlife Park under their 'days out' club card deals scheme. Currently only £3 worth of clubcard vouchers will get 1 adult admission. Click here for more details Tesco Club Card Deals and search under 'days out'

Alternatively if you visit the Paradise Wildlife Park website, their online ticket booking system automatically works out the cheapest combination of tickets for you. Click here for more details Paradise Wildlife Park Online Tickets

I went on Monday and some of the stuff there is brill. Espescially the Crump, Lindback and Adams bikes. Also, we had a nice chat with George which was good and some of the stories he had were very interesting. He has loads of knowledge and seemed to know everything about the sport.

Edited by marron

I went on Monday and some of the stuff there is brill. Espescially the Crump, Lindback and Adams bikes. Also, we had a nice chat with George which was good and some of the stories he had were very interesting. He has loads of knowledge and seemed to know everything about the sport.

Marron i work at the museum and the opening times is 10 oclock to 5,30 this is the new time's now glad you injoyed it

Edited by tetley

Marron i work at the museum and the opening times is 10 oclock to 5,30 this is the new time's now glad you injoyed it

Were you there on Sunday?

I visited the museum the other week on a cheaper late entry ticket and really enjoyed it and had an interesting chat with George.

I recommend all fans to pay them a visit.

Well,we enjoyed a visit to the museum on Saturday,on the way up to Rye House.

We were greeted by Tetley,and introduced to Manager Debbie.Thank you for your hospitality.

A great buzz about the place.Plenty to see,and had to walk round many times to take it in.The park itself is an amazing place,if you have kids,allow all day!

Many thanks guys for the afternoon of fun.

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit, Bob.

But your posting reminds me that I think I should say that George will no longer be at the Museum. As we know George and Linda have put in a tremendous amount of work to get the museum up and running over the last couple of years and have now decided to take a bit of a rest from the day to day running. I think we all owe them a big debt of gratitude for putting their life on hold and creating the Museum speedway supporters have been wanting for years. As Bob says there is a new manager there now, Debbie, who those of you involved at Sittingbourne will probably know.

We shall be having a Committee meeting Tuesday week to resolve a few issues about how the museum will be run from now on. No dramatic changes, but we have relied an awful lot on George and Linda, so it's time to take a new look at its running and organisation.

I'll let you know what's decided.