British Speedway Forum
colin

Open Soon?

I did have a brief chat to George and Linda at Rye.I agree,we do owe them a huge thank you.

Shame they are not involved as much as before,as their enthusiasm to get everything up and running was paramount.I do recognise that it wasnt soley down to them,but the driving force,they most certainly were.

Thank you,George and Linda.

With regards to the late admission ticket, having already visited Paradise Park in the past can anyone tell me about the time this ticket applies as I am going to be in the area soon and would like to visit the museum without spending a huge amount of time in the park

I went on Saturday and the museum is excellent. Well done to all those involved. It really is a must for Speedway fans - make a day of it and stroll round the Park aswell

Very enjoyable day and I will be returning!

We shall be having a Committee meeting Tuesday week to resolve a few issues about how the museum will be run from now on.

Well, we've had our committee meeting and sorted out a few things. We now have a good committee of active members each of whom are prepared to do their bit for the Museum. Hopefully no-one from now on will be overloaded and each person allocated particular areas of responsibility will have some expertise in that area. We are hoping to get more riders and former riders actively involved as well. Hopefully I can let you have some names after our next committee meeting in August after the riders in question have agreed (!)

As well as sorting out a number of the administration requirements, there are a number of public interface areas we are hoping to address soon:

1. The display itself and the labelling. We are hoping to make it a bit clearer and to get a more uniform style of labelling and correct the mistakes ( :shock: ).

2. Making sure the web site is kept up to date with the latest news.

3. Start cataloguing what we've got properly so the material can be used as a resource for historians and anyone else wishing to find out about some aspect of speedway history. There is a lot of material kept in store and not on display at the moment.

4. Produce a small guide to the Museum with a short history of speedway, mainly for visitors who don't know much about the sport.

I shall, of course, keep everyone informed of progress. In the meantime, please go along and visit the Museum, I'm sure you will all find it of great interest and a worthwhile way to spend an hour or so. :)

With regards to the late admission ticket, having already visited Paradise Park in the past can anyone tell me about the time this ticket applies as I am going to be in the area soon and would like to visit the museum without spending a huge amount of time in the park

Yes we are now opening 10 oclock till 5 oclock

There is no late admission ticket. It's the same price whenever you go. I asked this morning.

Yes, train to Broxbourne where you can pick up the Paradise Park courtesy bus.

P.S. If the bus isn't waiting at the station ask at the ticket office for them to ring the Park up and send the bus.

Edited by norbold

Well we made our trip to the speedway museum and I have to say its excellent, despite being a relative newbie to the sport having only started going in 2000, it was good to see the massive amount of memorabilia that builds up and creates the history of the sport.

The museum on the day was manned by volunteers Terry Stone and Sid who were to say the least friendly, fun and informative and we thoroughly enjoyed the day although I didnt spend as much time in the museum as my partner and his uncle did they both being much longer serving fans of the sport than me!

As admission to the Museum is included in the overall Park admission of £12 for adults then its imperative that you allow enough time to look round the wonderful wildlife park that Pete Sampson has created. The Park is well laid out and immaculately presented with shows and feeding of the animals at regular intervals throughout the day. There are food outlets and a bar and plenty of picnic areas should you wish to take your own food. The gift shop is well stocked and is inexpensive. A small paddling pool is close to the museum for younger children so all in all it provides an excellent family day out and caters for people of all ages.

Congratulations to George and Linda Barclay for their dedicated work in fundraising for and creating the museum, it will get bigger for sure

Edited by Liz !!!

And isn't one of the old JAP's once the property of 1947-49 Southampton rider George Bason. I have read that it is a five-valve engine in a Brine frame - now owned by Pete Seaton (I think) and on loan to the museum.

Yes you are right

Yes, the park is open from 9:30 to 6:00, but I think the Museum may be shutting at 5:00.