British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Triple.H.

RAIN OFFS

Is it not about time,considering that the promotors are having a pow-wow next week to have an experiment involving 1-2 tracks per league in covering their tracks when heavy rain is forecast in the days before a meeting?I have heard all the arguments about the ground sweating but wouldn't this put the moisture in the base where it would do most good?rain will seep through the covers and make the track patchy it has got to be easier to work on a small bit of track than the whole circuit.We will never know the answers until someone does it and at the end of the day i am sure most promotors would want to run every week at the same time pretty much guaranteed,obviousley you could do nothing if it rained within 4-5 hrs before the meeting.So do you think it is worth a try?

Excellent idea. Maybe it would be easier in the first instance to start with tracks that have access at all times as no one knows how long putting on and off the covers would take and storage of the covers has to be taken into consideration. IMO it would probably be easier if tracks with solid fences were used at first as they could take the weight of covers fixed to the top more than the flimsier mesh fences. The concept if it works could them be fine tuned to cover the tracks that have the less permanent fences which may require something akin to cricket covers raised higher on the outside of the track.

Further on from this maybe some thought could be given to some kind of guttering/drain (covered by metal grids) inside the white line that the covers would drain into so large puddles do not appear just on the white line of tracks, this obviously would only be put in when work is being done anyway to avoid excess expense.

It would cost a fair amount in the first instance but surely tracks could share the covers to some extent. e.g. Lynn ride Weds, the covers could be taken to Peteborough for use on Thursday and Friday. Wolves and Coventry could share, Belle Vue and Stoke etc.

Johnathon Green said, at Belle Vue last week, that he was getting the hang of 'this rain business'(?) or something very similar. Apparently it could rain all day. As long as it stopped a couple of hours before the meeting the track would be perfectly rideable.

Under these circumstances, or if the covers were removed, how long would the trackstaff need to prepare the track? If the covers were removed while it was still raining and they needed 2 hours to prepare it, would the track still be rideable for the next 2 hours?

Can someone tell me whether we still have access to Trackman's old posts? Seems a shame to lose his expertise.

I think the idea of covering tracks if rain is forecast is one of the best ideas ever in speedway and should have been implemented years ago.

It would also mean Wolverhampton would have a less crowded fixture list.

It might be a good idea in our view but there must be a very good reason why tracks have not implemented it already. Surely it can't all just be down to costs :?: Think I will put this question to THE TRACKMAN.....DOC BRIDGETT :D on Friday

Can someone tell me whether we still have access to Trackman's old posts? Seems a shame to lose his expertise.

Should be able to find some in the forum archives.

Alternatively check other forums - especially the Oxford one where he is still ranting on.....I mean giving his wise opinions.... :P on how to prepare a track.

You know I'm only joking Trackman. :lol:

Regards from Pawprint. xxx

I am racking my brains here, but I seem to recall an article in the speedway star many years ago when the idea of covering the track first appeared. They found that the covered areas of track had sweated and turned into a slimey clay.

To avoid the sweating they used a kind of wooden crate underneath the covers to allow the track to breath. This though was too expensive so they could only cover the bends.

This created another problem as there was in effect two different racing surfaces and it was deemed to dangerous to race on what was described as a patchy inconsistant base.

This must have been about ten years ago, so it could be well out of date as materials have moved on since the article. I do hope they come up with something as there is nothing more irritating than travelling and having that "looked forward to meeting" called off.

there is nothing more irritating than travelling and having that "looked forward to meeting" called off.

See my post under, Next Promoters meeting "Cards on the table"

Should be able to find some in the forum archives.

Are the archives still accessible?

Clicking on them on the homepage just brings up a 'Page cannot be displayed' error :cry:

Maybe tarps that were raised, bit of support that went from wall to wall, ie straight to strait, all the way across the track. Having said that I remember when meetings were almost never cancelled. Your thoughts Mylor? :?

Are the archives still accessible?

Clicking on them on the homepage just brings up a 'Page cannot be displayed' error :cry:

Seem to be okay Mylor but I don't think they are kept too far back now. Anyway, I've found his very own thread on the 27th December 2002 - "Trackman's Track Thread" so that should keep you occupied for a while. :D

http://www.speedwaymanager.co.uk/forum/top...p?TOPIC_ID=6780

Gemini................................YOU ARE A STAR!! (or two...... :D:D:D )

Thanks

Sandman,

I'll need to think about this one, raised covers, blustery day............hmmmm

Meetings never cancelled.

Ahh those were the days. Black & white pictures in the Speedway Star of half a dozen riders covered head to foot in grey stuff, just a white patch where their goggles used to be. 'I think that's Ivor Brown.........that fold in the mud looks like his jersey!!'

It happens occasionally now, but not as often. Or is it me mind playing tricks, perhaps it's down to the adhesive qualities of shale on leather. Mind you it was in the era of 2 valve Japs, cut tyres and winning times nearer 80 seconds than 60. Methinks riding should have been a lot safer then..............but occasionally reality bit really hard.....................we miss you guys :cry:

Why have dirt deflectors if there isnt any dirt? 8)

How about drains on the outside of the fence? 8)

Men have walked on the moon, think a solution would be pretty easy. Exeter aint that big. ;)