British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Great Entertainers

We're going to present a 'Great Entertainers' feature in Backtrack and I wondered if anyone would agree or disagree with the following list, or if you have any others worthy of inclusion.

Remember, we are initially considering a BRITISH LEAGUE (first division) list (so no National League names, please, at this stage)and the riders need not be star names.

They are essentially riders you could not take your eyes off while they were on track; riders who always entertained with their efforts - crowd-pleasers....

Finally, they must fit into the Backtrack era timescale of 1970-1990.

I know it will spark debate and some of you will disagree with these initial choices, but see what you think of this list of 20, in no particular order:

GREAT ENTERTAINERS (BL)

Barry Thomas

Andy Smith

Chris Morton

Peter Collins

Kelly Moran

Roman Matousek

John Cook

Jan O Pedersen

Zenon Plech

Phil Collins

Zdenek Kudrna

Vaclav Verner

Alan Mogridge

Preben Eriksen

Christer Lofqvist

Kenny Carter

Andrew Silver

Gary Guglielmi

Steve Gresham

Sean Wilson

Arnie Haley

"In no particular order"..... but Barry Thomas is top of the list!!!!!!

I am assuming guys like Preben Eriksen and Steve Gresham are on the list as much for their bad guy antics as anything else.

I would consider Garry Middleton, Chris Julian and Kelvin Mullarkey for their personalities on the track and I don't know how you can pick Kelly and not Shawn, he was just as exciting on a bike. Soren Sjosten almost had the word swashbuckling attached to him and was apparently a character off track as well.

Also what about Bruce Penhall?

Have to agree with the fact I too cannot understand how you could miss Shawn Moran of the list.

Have to agree with the fact I too cannot understand how you could miss Shawn Moran of the list.

or Mitch Shirra for his pugilistic skills.. :)

We're going to present a 'Great Entertainers' feature in Backtrack and I wondered if anyone would agree or disagree with the following list, or if you have any others worthy of inclusion.

Remember, we are initially considering a BRITISH LEAGUE (first division) list (so no National League names, please, at this stage)and the riders need not be star names.

They are essentially riders you could not take your eyes off while they were on track; riders who always entertained with their efforts - crowd-pleasers....

Finally, they must fit into the Backtrack era timescale of 1970-1990.

I know it will spark debate and some of you will disagree with these initial choices, but see what you think of this list of 20, in no particular order:

GREAT ENTERTAINERS (BL)

Barry Thomas

Andy Smith

Chris Morton

Peter Collins

Kelly Moran

Roman Matousek

John Cook

Jan O Pedersen

Zenon Plech

Phil Collins

Zdenek Kudrna

Vaclav Verner

Alan Mogridge

Preben Eriksen

Christer Lofqvist

Kenny Carter

Andrew Silver

Gary Guglielmi

Steve Gresham

Sean Wilson

Arnie Haley

Shawn McConnell

Kelvin Tatum ... 1983 (or was it '84?) debut season for Wimbledon.

in at reserve in the top league, fast bikes, not a lot of control (or that's how it looked!!)

Kelvin Tatum ... 1983 (or was it '84?) debut season for Wimbledon.

in at reserve in the top league, fast bikes, not a lot of control (or that's how it looked!!)

Steve,

Fair shout re. Kelvin in '83, but that was purely because he was a raw novice. He soon settled down.

What I'm really looking for are riders who were spectacular and/or entertaining - on a bike – THROUGHOUT their career, or certainly during their peak years.

Preben Eriksen is not what you would call spectacular, but his robust (to be kind) style made him entertaining because you daren't take your eyes off him.

I suppose leaving out Shawn Moran was designed to provoke a reaction - and it worked!

Would 'older' Sheffield fans bear me out on Arnie Haley's worthiness? I didn't see that mijch of him. And is Peter Carr (Sheffield era) a possible contender?

Shirra was steady on a bike, not spectacular, though I hear what you say about the boxing skill. Mitch has already been interviewed for the following issue of Backtrack (issue 22), not the one that will be out on June 30.

What I'm really looking for are riders who were spectacular and/or entertaining - on a bike

shame you only want BL riders for now ... Richard Green in the NL was one of the most entertaining riders out there :D

think you're being very kind about Preben Eriksen ... that would take us back to Kelvin Tatum again and what Kelvin had to suffer thanks to Eriksen :angry:

shame you only want BL riders for now ... Richard Green in the NL was one of the most entertaining riders out there  :D

think you're being very kind about Preben Eriksen ... that would take us back to Kelvin Tatum again and what Kelvin had to suffer thanks to Eriksen  :angry:

Kenny Carter wouldn't have thought Eriksen entertaining either

The Mighty MOGGO, Alan Mogridge! :D:approve:B)

Never knew what would happen when Moggo was around, but you could guarantee it would ne entertaining!

Ian Tiddler Turner

Mr Terry Betts

Richard Hellsen

Nigel Sparshott

Bobby Garrard (Rye H but rode for Lynn also)

Edited by star ghost

being a glasgow fan from 1977 i never saw nuch bl action but shooey moran has always been a favourite of mine and cowboy cook although you did mention him and what about les and neil collins cant have pc and phil without a mention for those two think i will stick in bobby beaton and wee swervin mervyn janke aswell although i never saw him race for the dukes over to the halifax fans

Edited by mervjankefanclub