British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Kenny Carter Book

Was looking forward to buying this book BUT just read the review in Backtrack to which I subscribe.Its giving me second thoughts.The reviewer John Berry says that he has been fortunate enough to see what the author deems too sensitive to include,(implication being -which you folks ain't gonna see even if you purchase the book ) and also that certain comments that interviewees would rather see not published are omitted. Have never seen a review of a biography(which is what this is)where the reviewer has essentially said its great but the author has shared stuff with me which you poor saps who buy the book ain't gonna be able to read.Well bully for John Berry but it sounds like important,relevant data has been pre censored out-although the author's research has uncovered it. So how do we know if it gives a complete and unbiased picture!! I'd like to be as fortunate as John Berry was if I'm going to buy the book!! Anyway forumland folks am obviously very interested to know what has been left out-also any comments from the author. Also whatever possessed Mr.Berry to tell us that interesting and relevant details have been omitted-if we aren't supposed to know why even tell us about it-surely anyone would know this would pique interest further.If you aren't going to give the complete picture why write it in the first place!! I don't want to stir up a can of worms here-but hey what's going on with this.

Guest Steve Dixon
Was looking forward to buying this book BUT just read the review in Backtrack to which I subscribe.Its giving me second thoughts.The reviewer John Berry says that he has been fortunate enough to see what the author deems too sensitive to include,(implication being -which you folks ain't gonna see even if you purchase the book ) and also that certain comments that interviewees would rather see not published are omitted. Have never seen a review  of a biography(which is what this is)where the reviewer has essentially said its great but the author has shared stuff with me which you poor saps who buy the book ain't gonna be able to read.Well bully for John Berry but it sounds like important,relevant data has been pre censored out-although the author's research has uncovered it. So how do we know if it gives a complete and unbiased picture!! I'd like to be as fortunate as John Berry was if I'm going to buy the book!! Anyway  forumland folks  am obviously very interested to know what has been left out-also any comments from the author. Also whatever possessed Mr.Berry to tell us that interesting and relevant details have been omitted-if we aren't supposed to know why even tell us about it-surely anyone would know this would pique interest further.If you aren't going to give the complete picture why write it in the first place!! I don't want to stir up a can of worms here-but hey what's going on with this.

I bought it and am looking forward to reading it but i am more interested in the inside bits on the speedway front, not the rights and wrongs of what happened in his latter days.

Guest Donsking

Since you can't libel a dead person, I guess some stuff has been uncovered that is sensitive to his surviving family, or has been decided is unfair to publish, simply because he is not around to defend what may be considered sensationalist.

I agree though, it is odd to review a book and then tell everyone that some of the juicy bits have been left out.

Guest sjl

I'll just be glad when the book arrives I was disappointed with the delay--- I hope to hear varied aspects on his life,trials and tribulations :blink:

Look -I left the UK a long time ago-but one of the things that used to drive me crazy about the place was this attitude of "I'll decide what you should know or not know and I'll decide what 's best for you"( usually from places like the BBC). I see a book advertised as the "full harrowing story" then I read the review-again we're back to -I'll decide for you(but I'll tell John Berry the real story!!). I'm sure its a wonderful book-but what is the real harrowing story that has been shared with Jiohn Berry but not the rest of us hoi-polloi. I'd sure like to know and Donsking I agree with you on this.

I guess some stuff has been uncovered that is sensitive to his surviving family...

I would respectfully suggest that the whole concept of this book is insensitive to the Carter family....

IMO, Kenny Carter's life, bearing in mind the shocking way it ended and the terrible harm done to so many by him was NOT in anyway a suitable subject for a book. :neutral:

Parsloes -I understand and respect your point of view-I really do. I think it seems like we have the worst of both worlds here-I'm not salacious by any means-but if you're going to write about it-then tell us the truth. I'm probably increasing its sales by writing about this-but the more I think about it the more I'm getting annoyed.Tony,why not tell us what you told John-he seems to think its important. If you told him then tell us-perhaps the book should be boycotted-what don't we know?? What is going on here??

Parsloes -I understand and respect your point of view-I really do.

Like Bob, I know where you're coming from, but do we know that the "whole concept of the book" is insensitive to the family? Things happen, sometimes terrible things, but they are a part of life. Was the Carter family approached? Did they give their blessing, even supply information? Did they suggest that some things were best omitted? I'm sure that the answer to most, if not all of the above questions would be "yes".

Had this been written soon after his death, maybe it would have been very tacky, tasteless, and insensitive, but it wasn't. Obviously, neither of us know the full content of the book, but I certainly wouldn't think it simply dwells on the tragedies and other unsavoury aspects of his life and death.

This is a biography of one of the best speedway riders of all time, and, love him or hate him, one of the greatest characters the sport has ever seen. Why shouldn't he have a biography written about him? Why should today's generation, and indeed, future generations, be deprived of Kenny Carter's life and achievements?

Steve

Edited by chunky

Steve-thanx for your comments-I agree with all of this -but since the book has been written and people presumably are interested(rightly or wrongly) -at least write an honest account based on the research.I don't want to hear -frankly- that stuff has been left out(but told to others) and sort of "but you peasants buy the book" for an incomplete story(we insiders know the real story-but aren't going to tell you). This ain't Saudi Arabia folks-and we are grown up enough to deal with the truth. Again what was John told that the paying customers aren't going to be.Its really a question of academic integrity. I don't know if John Berry reads this forum -but what the heck could have been so important that you were told that the (hopefully) paying public weren't-I mean what is the point in buying the book if its got this stuff missing that you felt was important enough to mention. Note to self-if I ever write a book will be careful about who I get to review it!!! Anybody read it yet and any ideas about what was omitted??

To Chunky-see you live in Cahokia Illinois-I used to live in Champaign-Urbana. What is this- I believe in freedom of expression-looks to me like stuff has been suppressed here. Why would anyone buy this book??Gimme a break -I'd like to read the truth.

Thing is Bob, JB has always been one for telling it like it is!

Yeah, I've been over here 16 years, all in the St. Louis area. I've been to the Toronto area many times; I have a friend who lives in Oshawa, and I've stayed with him quite a bit.

Steve

This is a biography of one of the best speedway riders of all time
Really?

I guess the difficulty here is keeping a happy medium. Perhaps Mr Berry should have kept his mouth shut, although that is impossible, we all know that. The publishers should perhaps have advertised this book without the usual 'tell all' tag.Trouble is the 'tell all' books usual tell very little in actual fact, but if the tags of 'tell all' was not advertised then the books they produce probably wouldn't sell, sod all!

Edited by Paul

Anyone read it yet-if so what do u think of it??

'you either love him or hate him'

I still miss Kenny and Pam and I will never forget that tragic day. No one will ever really know what went through his mind that day, what caused him to act as he did.

I attended both their wedding and their funeral. One was of great happiness and one was of great sorrow.

What happened was and still is a tragedy.

I forgave him. There is not a day goes by when I do not think of them and the family.

Yes, he was cocky, he was brash but that was his character, he believed he could be no 1 and will never know if his dream would have come true.

You never know who will be reading the posts on this foum................

My thoughts are with both families.

R. I. P Kenny and Pam. Together forever.

Miss you.xx

Edited by whippy