British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 21 Kenny Carter

ISSUE 21 (July-August 2007) OUT NOW!

MAIN MAN - KENNY CARTER

What, you’ve not yet ordered your copy of Tragedy? Well, if you are still undecided about whether to buy the speedway book of the year, then perhaps a read of our exclusive extract in the new issue 21 of Backtrack will tempt you…

Read here how the then 18-year-old Carter romped to a brilliant 12-point maximum for Halifax against Sheffield . . . just FOUR DAYS after the heartbreaking experience of finding his mother dead from an overdose at their home. The tragic loss of his mum at the age of 37 haunted Carter for the rest of his life.

There are a page of some of the many candid, and at times controversial, quotes from rivals and those who knew Kenny best.

Our top columnist John Berry also reviews our new book, and says: “I have had the privilege of reading Tragedy. Its pages, one by one, told me more and more about the man. It told me things I didn’t want to hear, but needed to; it explained much more about where his attitudes and manner were honed and hardened. The book didn’t alter my views overall. What it did was to harden my opinions about Kenny, the driven, misunderstood, brilliant speedway rider and all the good things he did, but it also sickened me even more at the death.”

OXFORD BLUES

Oxford recently withdrew from the Elite League, but as we report it’s not the first time the Cheetahs have been in crisis. Bernard Crapper recalls how he and fellow fans saved the club from oblivion back in the mid-70s, to provide the springboard for the unprecedented success the Cheetahs enjoyed in the following decade.

WHERE ARE THEY NOW?

No, not the riders – the FANS! With Oxford out and Reading also in financial trouble and now in the hands of new management, our special report asks what became of the tens of thousands of supporters who used to pack the terraces 30 years ago?

GREAT ENTERTAINERS…of the British League

We name 31 of the most entertaining, colourful and controversial characters from top flight British speedway in the 70s and 80s. Are your personal favourites among them? Check it out – with every rider named pictured in colour!

CRADLEY HEATH – DEFUNCT TRACK

They were once also rans, then came the McCormick revolution and by the early 80s the Heathens were the envy of the British League. In our three-page special, we look back at a once great track, including the names who made the headlines before the bikes were banished from the Dudley Wood venue in 1996.

TIM HUNT

‘Tearaway Tim’ looks back on his eventful, and at times bruising, career as a combative competitor for Ipswich and Reading, and explains why he considers himself lucky to be in one piece.

WORLD OF OUR OWN

The latest in our series of ‘Bright Ideas’, this time we recall the ambitious Daily Mirror International Tournament that proved such a big hit back in 1973, culminating in that dramatic run-off at Wembley between Peter Collins and Anders Michanek.

IN MY DAY – Reg Fearman

The former Reading and Poole boss with the best and worst of his mammoth career as one of the sport’s leading promoters of the 70s.

ROB GRANT

To coincide with Berwick’s 40th anniversary celebrations, we talk to legendary Bandit Rob about his days as one of the biggest characters on the National League scene.

ANDRZEJ HUSZCZA

Poland’s Peter Pan, the former Leicester, Hackney and Reading rider is still competing in his homeland at the age of 50! We look back on Andrzej’s amazing career in the saddle.

ROB WOFFINDEN

Another great characters who has certainly done the rounds in National League circles, ‘Wuffy’ reflects on his racing days with Scunthorpe, Rye House, Middlesbrough, etc, etc, etc, and no wonder he describes himself as a ‘speedway nomad’.

CARR BROTHERS

The personal memories of Dave Swanton whose own speedway involvement was sparked by the Carr brothers, Louis and Peter.

POOLE IN PICTURES

A feast of photographic nostalgia for fans of the Pirates, with our two-page picture review of some of the finest to have pulled on the skull-and-crossbones body colour . . . from Pete Smith to Christer Lofqvist, Malcolm Simmons to Leigh Adams.

http://www.retro-speedway.com/home.php

I thought Kenny Carter had been the 'Main Man' in a previous issue?

Excellent read as usual Tony, just one point in the defunct tracks section it wasn't Kenny that troubled the home team in the 64-14 win over Halifax, it was Norweigan Tormod Langli ( i know i'm a bit of an anorak :) )

Great read as usual.

as always can't put it down and always left wanting more.

On a personal note great to see pics of Poole as this is the era I started watching the Pirates

I dont really remember the story of Kennys sad demise.....will certainly be buying a copy of the book... His mind must have been in a real mess to shoot his wife and himself and to leave 2 little kiddies behind.......What were the reasons behind it ?

Hopefully we wont go into that one again :wink:

Excellent issue as always TMC and how nice it is to see Sir with hair (I think I prefer him now!!!) :lol:

I dont really remember the story of Kennys sad demise.....will certainly be buying a copy of the book... His mind must have been in a real mess to shoot his wife and himself and to leave 2 little kiddies behind.......What were the reasons behind it ?

buy the book and read it,i've just finished and have to say it's a great book,i was only 3 when kenny commited his crimes but i've always been interested in the rider part of kenny and this book goes to great lengths to try to piece together the demons in his mind and what made him tick although it seems thats an impossible task to do

a great but sometimes disturbing read

ISSUE 21 (July-August 2007) OUT NOW!

IN MY DAY – Reg Fearman

The former Reading and Poole boss with the best and worst of his mammoth career as one of the sport’s leading promoters of the 70s.

http://www.retro-speedway.com/home.php

Blimey and not one mention of a certain testimonial :rolleyes::P:wink:

Another great issue Tony, particularly enjoyed the Tim Hunt & Rob Woffinden features. As for the 'where have all the fans gone' write up I agree that the main reason would be that there is less overtaking today and therefor less excitement, but for me Speedway seems to be left in the past when it comes to presentation and promoting and this will not attract the younger generation or keep them hooked. I like the use of the new photo collection in the colour centre pages, but why are there two identical photographs of Michael Lee on different pages in the same issue???

Looking forward (or is it backwards?) to issue 22 - Brian.

just got my copy at ashfield today and had a browse through and as usual its an excellent issue just a minor correction and i hate being an anorak but in the rob grant article it states the bandits rode at blantyre 2 craighead park during their nomadic 81 season when it was actually blantyre 1 the greyhound stadium they used riding there on a saturday night throughout august cant remember if it was four or five meetings but i do recall pestering my dad to take me even though we watched the tigers the night before happy days! :D

Guest Steve Dixon
buy the book and read it,i've just finished and have to say it's a great book,i was only 3 when kenny commited his crimes but i've always been interested in the rider part of kenny and this book goes to great lengths to try to piece together the demons in his mind and what made him tick although it seems thats an impossible task to do

a great but sometimes disturbing read

Just finished it myself.

For anyone who saw him ride this is a must read.

For anyone intrigued by all the press about him.... Ditto.

Great book.

I really enjoyed the book, i got the feeling everyone knew a little about him, but no one knew the complete package....

I dont Know how much People have been Paying for TRAGEDY ?,but ihave just ordered my copy off play.com for £11.99 Delivered.I have seen it at a lot of other vendors at £15.99.