British Speedway Forum
twincamweslake

Late 1970's Dohc Weslake

:o dont sell us ozzies to short my good man,perhaps the first ever maggie on a weslake was manufactured in townsville north queensland,im sure it came from a engineering place owned by neil fagustrom(R.I.P.)im sure the ex halifax gun merv janke rode this engine a great deal.im told by those who rode and worked on the engine that it pulled hard from the gate.the engine is still running and is in first class condition,its still in townsville.

i also have to say that i beleive the best back yard boffins would have to come from country australia,even back in 1980 if you stuffed your wessie up etc you had to either go with out,find another motorcycle engine part you could change and make fit or just make the dam thing,i have seen some weird s@@t riden on tracks up north queensland way.

so i think the poms have a long way to go,on and off the track :o

The Magneto Weslakes used by Pete Smith, Richard Hellsen & Co were used around 1977 - 1978 if memory serves me right. The feeling was the same on the 'British' Mag engines, in that they were exceptional from the gate ( I believe that was the reason for Jawa sticking to the mag on the 897 also). Rickard still has his magneto Weslake I believe, not sure when he last had it running though

The Magneto Weslakes used by Pete Smith, Richard Hellsen & Co were used around 1977 - 1978 if memory serves me right. The feeling was the same on the 'British' Mag engines, in that they were exceptional from the gate ( I believe that was the reason for Jawa sticking to the mag on the 897 also). Rickard still has his magneto Weslake I believe, not sure when he last had it running though

:D oh it seems the poms came up with the idea first :o rikards motors were very well looked after,i purchased a real nice wessie from him when he lived at cowley in oxford around the late 70s early 80s,i toke the motor with me to australia.all the best stuff in it,all in tip top condition,a real good purchase. B)

i have purchased motors from other top flight riders whilst starting speedway and was ripped of more than once.i purchased a weslake engine from a ex poole and oxford rider that was s@@t inside when i got it home.so rickard is a up front a nice fellow.a smart hard rider to boot :)