British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Star Lady

Independent Body

IMO before any of the other suggestions are even thought about, speedway has to get the basics right.

That has to mean an independent governing body or at the very least an independent administrator. There has to be someone of the stature of Tony Steele (just an example), knowledgeable but fair and totally independent of ALL clubs who could take on the role. Failing that the BSPA must employ someone completely independent of any ties to any club to oversee the rules, regulations and any appeal or use of special dispensation. Do that and 90% of the gripes and grumbles would disappear, there would be no shouts of bias, and "it's only because your promoter is on the Man Committee that you got Special Dispensation. I know most of these comments are made in Speedway circles but we do not live in a vacuum, the media must pick up on them and it does not do the sport any favours. (I'm not advocating that we fans stop protesting).

The present situation is ridiculous and, without wishing to prejudice the current legal case, is like Billy Janiero's buddy sitting in judgement on Billy or one of the girls mothers sitting in judgement on him and everyone can see the injustice and stupidity of that situation surely.

It's got to come, something like the "Commissioner" role they have in American sports.

This is an area where respected ex riders could play a part, and their vast experience could benefit the sport. Riders coming to the end of their careers like the ones currently working for Sky spring to mind.

The BSPA was a good idea back in 1965, but things have moved on a bit since then.

Excellent post Star Lady...........I also like RogH's reply.

Must give this some thought..........

Agree totally. The promoters regulate themselves - that's just crazy. Can you imagine in football if Alex Ferguson had a direct influence on things like players suspensions, transfer windows etc. :?

Question is, are the promoters willing to give away their power?

Very good thread. Interesting, a Dictator? Nascar is so in tune and in line with the racers, tv, fans etc and you know why? Because Bill France Jr. rules with an Iron Fist. The sport is much bigger than if it were run any other way. Probably a bit like Bernie Ecclestone in F1. Promoters, racers, mechanics, all in the end have to adhere to Mr. Frances vision of the sport. Even the racers acknowledge that to have a career they must toe the line if they dont they know there are hundreds who will take their place. They are rewarded handsomely, just look at all the private jets at Charlotte Airport, most belong to the drivers. But, visionaries dont grow on trees, so who could that person be for Speedway... Hmmmmm.. I nominate..... Steve Hone!!! ;-)

............... just look at all the private jets at Charlotte Airport,

Bit misty in Cornwall today Sandman.......... would that be WSW of here?

Must get some new bino's!!

Damn, still no good, do they have a webcam? :lol::lol::lol:

IMO before any of the other suggestions are even thought about, speedway has to get the basics right.

That has to mean an independent governing body or at the very least an independent administrator. There has to be someone of the stature of Tony Steele (just an example), knowledgeable but fair and totally independent of ALL clubs who could take on the role.

This is:

a) what Lord Shawcross said in 1964

B) pretty obvious to all intelligent fans (like Star Lady) ;)

c) the role the SCB should be playing.

As far as I can see the Promoters Assn seems to have repatriated powers from the SCB and taken on more of the administration - with little regard for the need to be seen as impartial. :-(

The tendency of promoters to demand rule changes at the drop of the hat doesn't help. Before rule changes are approved there should be an impact assessment:

1) What change is the new rule attempting to achieve, and why is it desirable?

2) Does it work?

3) What are the unintended consequences(usually to make everything more complicated!) and are they outweighed by the advantages of the proposed change

I am aware that each February all the referees get together and try and get there heads round how new rules will work in practice. :? :? :?

More than once a couple of months into the season I have had conversations with a referee about possible scenarios for which a new rule doesn't come up with a solution. (eg Doubling Down)

As long as the promotors money is at stake I don't think they will want to give over the reigns to a single individual.

When the sport is so up and down in the popularity stakes their job is made so much more difficult. If only speedway could attract thousands more fans and sponsors then their problems would be solved.

c) the role the SCB should be playing.

Are not the BSPA and the SCB one and the same now.....ie Russell and CVS. Apologies if I am wrong.

As long as the promotors money is at stake I don't think they will want to give over the reigns to a single individual.

So they would prefer to oversee the demise of the sport in this country? that just about says it all really doesn't it :-(

I cannot see what is wrong with the BSPA making the rules as they do now in the close season BUT they should be administered by an independent person or committee and no rules can be changed after say March 15th until the following year. Likewise Special Dispensation should only be granted by the independent person and then in only very special circumstances. That way the Promoters who "risk" their money make the rules, they just don't have the opportunity to bend them.

Are not the BSPA and the SCB one and the same now.....ie Russell and CVS. Apologies if I am wrong.

Indeed - Grahame Reeve was the last person to do a proper job for the SCB.

...if only they'd appointed me instead of David Hughes :x

The SCB (Speedway Control Board) is a committee of the ACU on which CVS and Alex Harkess represent the BSPA. (Page 6 of the ACU Handbook http://www.motorcyclinggb.co.uk/) CVS and Alex Harkess also happen to be Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the BSPA which is located in the ACU headquarters in Rugby.

The SCB has 5 members in all, 3 from the ACU including the Independant Chairman, E P Bartlett (who is also Chairman of the ACU) and 2 from the BSPA.

So, from what I've gleaned from their websites, the organisation looks like this:

The FIM have a Track Racing Commission on which sits Ole Olsen as the SGP Race Director.

The Auto Cycle Union (ACU) and other national bodies are FIM Affiliated Federations. The SCB is a committee of the ACU.

Several Continental Unions are recognised by FIM. Great Britain is a member of the European Motorcycle Union (UEM) which lays down rules for European Championships (including, would you believe, a European Speedway Club Champions Cup(!!?) The Final's in Hungary September 11th.) The speedway representitive on the UEM commission appears to be Andrzej Grodzki, Mail: speedway@pzm.pl

This last body may come as a surprise to many of you.......it did to me!!

Now I'm sure Mr Grodzki and his fellow commissioners are very nice people but they do seem to have an extraordinarily low profile. So low in fact that they manage to organise European Championships without anyone in Western Europe knowing about them. Now 10 years ago I could have understood it, but the iron curtain has been down for a long time now.

Perhaps we should blame Mr David Willoughby, Mail:willoughby.33@virgin.net who also sits on the commission. I can't find out anything about this gentleman but I'm sure someone out there knows him.

Methinks this is a body that needs a d**n good shakeup! It should be structured and have the same powers and responsibilities, including promoting the various motorcycle sports, as Uefa does for some other sport that escapes me at the moment.

Ah well, Time for bed. Must think on this some more.

CVS and Alex Harkess also happen to be Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the BSPA which is located in the ACU headquarters in Rugby

Pete Toogood is the Vice Chairman actually this year, Alex was last years.

Thanks for the update Dekker.

The organisation of the BSPA committee(?) doesn't appear to be on the BSPA website. Do you know where I can find it?

Somehow having the word 'organisation' so close to 'BSPA' doesn't seem right..... :?