British Speedway Forum

Steve Hone.

So you will only support the best riders, i.e Harris, and not the guys that are trying their hearts out for Team GB but lack that final peice of the jigsaw that will make them a great rider?

Just because they are not the "creme de la creme", you would rather support another nation? That stinks IMO.

Yes you have the right to do so, but when Team GB is full of world class stars, which will happen eventually, I for one hope you don't show your face in the stadium they are racing at waving a Union Jack.

And if you think the Team GB side is "stale", just who would you put in? Because if it wasn't any of the current 5, you would be laughed off the forum.

Poor show.

tough ** then really, i'll watch the Russians and the Danes, far more exciting than GB at the moment bar Chris Harris.

they don't need to be the best, but i like to see exciting riders.

as i said in my post, the team picks itself, as there is no quality around yet to force their way in, and maybe that's part of the reason why things have gone stale, same old team, same old manager, same old people creaming their underwear when Middlo's name is mentioned ... what Team GB needs is competition for places, and until that happens they will win jack schit.

ok, Kennett has made his way in, but who else? who else is there to really push and bring out the competitive side in the team?

and you're talking about 'poor show', well maybe you ought to be saying that to all the Team GB supporters that get oh so excited when GB come 2nd, 3rd, or 4th ... sorry, that means they LOST.

i want GB to become a proper speedway force again, to have riders that are exciting to watch, not be 'expected' to lose.

well said stevehone thats is exactly how i feel

Probably so that the stall that was there selling merchandise could charge £15 for an air horn that you could normally buy for £9 at most Elite League tracks !!!....and other such overpriced stuff !!!  :blink:

I heard that, and thought that was well out of order,but how can this be allowed ?

Ive got to say I usually support Team GB all the time and even at the start of last nights meeting I wanted them to win, but I found I couldnt cheer for the likes of Nicholls and Kennett (I have no opinion of Stead and Richardson).As the meeting progressed I was wanting the Russians to beat everybody.They are an exciting team with good young riders and seemed to be wanting to get all they could.Steve is right GB are stale there is no competition and only a few good prospects coming through. If a young team like Russia can get this much interest why dont GB??

I heard that, and thought that was well out of order,but how can this be allowed ?

bsi rented the stadium so they had the rights to sell their merch inside. there were some people selling stuff in the car park though

with England football, i used to go to every home game, and lots of away games following my team, shouting at away players, slagging them off, for 9 months of the year ... why do i then want to go and cheer for them for one night?

Cos they are representing our country, yours and mine!!

i want GB to become a proper speedway force again, to have riders that are exciting to watch, not be 'expected' to lose.

Nobody bloody "expects" them to lose, what a daft thing to say, I would have thought all english people would love to see them win, and they themselves want to win!! I, personally, don't expect them to go out there and race like loonies endangering other riders' lives and their own to get the win either, there's another day tomorrow!

£9 at most Elite League tracks

£9, they're cheaper in the PL LOL

Edited by Trees

They didn't delay the start.  7.30 parade of riders, meeting starting shortly after  :unsure:

Tickets stated 7:30pm engines start...now does that mean the Harley Davidsons engines starting in order to bring out and introduce the riders in a long winded drawn out eight slow laps of the track and then drop them off at the start so that they could be re-introduced to the crowd and then amble back to the pits. Or did it mean the riders engines start so that we could actually watch some ***** speedway having stood there for almost two hours. As for the referee, could he not find a hotel to stay at ??? he seemed to want to stay at the track all night. He certainly wasn't a Frank Ebdon trained official. Why let the riders go back to the pits for about two to three minutes every time there was a race stoppage. On the occasions that a rider was excluded, he waited until that rider walked back to the pits from the opposite end of the track before he even put the two minute warning on...Why ??? if the rider wasn't coming out and could not be replaced why wait so long ??? It was almost 11:00pm when the meeting finished and of course getting out of Brandon was always going to take time....still, there isn't much traffic apart from lorries on the M1 /M25 at 1:00am is there thank God !!!!!!

Meeting was great though and a fantastic track as well....compliments must go to all the track staff and the track curater. I've always liked Coventry ...brilliant stadium.

What I don't understand is what difference it makes to all you 'Team GB' fans who anyone else supports? Seriously? :blink:

I understand that for some people their 'allegience' is to their country first and club second. For me the opposite is true - and always has been. With the exception of Chris Harris, and to a lesser extent Simon Stead, I really don't have time for Team GB - and can honestly say I actively dislike Nicholls and Richardson. In addition, I'm afraid I'm sick to the back teeth of the 'hype' that seems to follow Kennett. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, last night Sweden had four out of their 6 riders who are 'MY' riders - Wolves one and all. So you can bet your life that I was cheering for Sweden last night - and damn proud of the fact I am too! :approve:

As I said before - I fail to see what difference this made to anyone on this forum! You support who you want to and I will do the same - I'll mind my own business and I suggest you do the same! :angry:

Now I'm off to join Schumi's revolutionary front and change my avatar!

Edited by lupus

Guest Schumi
Now I'm off to join Schumi's revolutionary front and change my avatar!

Are you sure? It's a very large front.

Steve

How can you say the only exciting rider for England is Harris......come on mate ...dont let the fact that you dont like someone cloud you're judgement...I am not a great fan of Nicki but i recognise he is a talent

I dont understand it Harris is exciting after he beat Hancock from the back at Cardiff...yet Scott does the exact same thing in the World Cup and that aint exciting...come on mate......making yourself sound silly...

As for exciting British riders like Carter and Lee,,,,,mmm great role models

jaybea

I know it's not compulsary (sp) but it's what the Brits do best supporting their own just wondered why you see fit to cheer on another nation other than your own  :unsure:

I think Steve Hone has summed it up very well but I'll add my two pennarth anyway.

I am as patriotic as anyone else when it comes to war and the nation being in peril etc, and I'm extremely proud of our armed services but I will not support a team of sportsmen, half of whose riders are not on my "like list" because of their country of birth and most certainly not because someone else says I should :mad: . My father, grandfather and great grandfather fought in wars to ensure we all had freedom of choice. Sometimes I wonder if it applies to this forum.

Last night I decided way before start time to support the Russians. They always ride with passion, flair and a certain unpredictability. That was my decision and one that I did not force on anyone else.

IMHO Team GB, basically beat a couple of Elite League teams, they rode well but bloody hell so they should have done. The Russians surpassed most peoples expectations and provided excellent entertainment whilst doing so.

I don't knock anyone for supporting Team GB, and don't expect anyone to knock me for supporting whomsoever I choose.

They didn't delay the start.  7.30 parade of riders, meeting starting shortly after  :unsure:

Oh yes they did. Not that it bothered me I was day off yesterday and today so it could have gone on until midnight.

Yes they did, Sky announced twice that the start had been delayed due to crowd trying to get in and they showed the queues outside, racing didn't start until just before 8pm.

Thank you Rob :approve:

tough ** then really, i'll watch the Russians and the Danes, far more exciting than GB at the moment

:angry: Now I know you'll wonder, what the hell is the relevance of my next comment in relation to your assertions, so I'll tell you before I make my comment. It is something to do with that once admirable quality in people, called LOYALTY. It was displayed to its utmost in the years from 1939 to 1945, when by and large, BRITS not only supported Britain and the FREEDOM of the world, but they actually donned the uniform of their Nation and put their lives on the line.

At first, the undermanned and very poorly armed British Expeditionary Force (BEF) full of heart and determination, were completely outclassed and shoved back to Dunkirk etc etc etc (and the rest is history). Had you been of age at that time, would you have considered the superior armaments and the sheer speed and skill of the so-called blitzkrieg to be far more interesting and exciting than the motley but heroic rabble that managed to make it back to these shores after the drama of Dunkirk to be such that you would have felt rather more inclined to wear the jackboot as opposed to the ammo-boot? LOYALTY my friend. You demonstrate only too well as to what loyalty has become in this country, i.e. a two-way street but all too often with one-way traffic.

You want to see quality, exciting English riders emerge to make it worth your while supporting Team GB. Then I suggest that you become vociforous towards the BSPA and individual Promoters in the UK and call for a better system of bringing our boys on and including more of them and fewer foreigners within both out EL and PL teams and that you stand on the terraces and give your lungs a worthwhile job to do, i.e. that of cheering on as loudly as you can those British lads who are taking risks out there in an endeavour to improve and make the mark. We all need encouragement from time to time, no matter what we do, and by golly, it doesn't half help one to raise one's game.

Right let's get one thing straight I'm not knocking Steve, Sarah, Star Lady, Lupus, Schumi or anyone else that is not supporting the Brits, I asked a question (as I have done every year but then with new members arriving all the time maybe they too would like to know) why they choose to support another nation rather than their own and it has been answered hmmmm not quite as politely as the question was asked but then that's what comes to be expected on here but thanks for the replies. :approve:

Right let's get one thing straight I'm not knocking Steve, Sarah, Star Lady, Lupus, Schumi or anyone else that is not supporting the Brits, I asked a question (as I have done every year but then with new members arriving all the time maybe they too would like to know) why they choose to support another nation rather than their own and it has been answered hmmmm not quite as politely as the question was asked but then that's what comes to be expected on here but thanks for the replies.  :approve:

Altho I quoted you SB, it was not you that told me I was being unpatriotic. I just couldn't be bothered to search for the post in question. Apologies for suggesting you did. Enjoy supporting the Brits, I'll enjoy supporting the Danes and Russians just as much :D