The Garry Stead Benefit “grand Prix”

THE GARRY STEAD BENEFIT “GRAND PRIX”
"PARADE OF CHAMPIONS"

THURSDAY 23RD AUGUST - SHEFFIELD

GATES OPEN 5PM - PARADE 7.15PM - FIRST RACE 7.30PM

Admission has been pegged at the regular Premier League weekly rates of;
Adults £12.00 OAP’s £9.00 Children Aged 12 – 16, £5.00
Children Under 12 FREE

No less than 3 Speedway World Champions together with a host of League and Cup Champions from the last decade plan to turn out to support their injured colleague, Garry Stead who has been left paralysed from a track crash in May.

The top names are currently under wraps whilst flight logistics are resolved but early confirmation has been received from Sam Ermolenko, Garry Havelock, Joe Screen and Simon Stead.

Sheffield Co Promoter David Hoggart praised the riders for their willingness and enthusiasm, “The response has been fantastic, Garry indicated who he thought we should invite and we have pulled together a field representative of his former clubs; Stoke, Bradford, Newcastle, Workington, Hull and of course Sheffield”

The event will be a 20 race Grand Prix format with 2 Semi Finals and a Grand Final, 23 races with 5 demonstration races featuring some of Garry’s recently retired competitors.

Les Collins and Peter Carr will take to the saddle but one man who said he would never ride a Speedway bike again will make an emotional return. That man is the hero of the Workington Comets 2006 Four Team Championship success, Alan Mogridge who rode alongside Garry at Stoke and Workington.

The latest news can be found at www.garrystead.com

-------------------------------------------------

MORT & LEE BACK IN ACTION FOR GARRY !

Two of the greatest Speedway racers of all time have agreed to come out of retirement to compete head to head for Garry at his Benefit Grand Prix at Sheffield on Thursday 23rd August - 7:15pm.

Former 1980 Speedway World Champion, Michael Lee will race against Chris Morton MBE the former World Pairs and World Team Cup Champion in the “best of three” match races.

Morton starts as clear favourite having represented Sheffield in the British League, held the Owlerton track record at 60.7 seconds for almost 10 years and ended his career as the winner of the Northern Riders Championship in 1993.

“Michael has spoken to me about this, he clearly means business but I’m confident I can beat him” said Morton, “I’ve always found Sheffield easy to ride but at the end of the day we’ll give it a good go for Garry”

Lee is equally confident “This is more about Garry than Chris and I, of course I’m up for it and if Chris thinks he’s in for an easy ride he can think again. I’d love to say we are going along for the ride but once a racer always a racer, we’ll liven it up you wait and see.

Speedway Referee at Garry Stead Grand Prix

The Association of Speedway Referees in conjunction with the Speedway Control Bureau are offering fans throughout the country a unique opportunity for one of them to spend a night “On the Button” with Preston based official Craig Ackroyd.

Fans will be able to bid electronically on line from August 1st in an e-bay auction to raise funds for Garry and the winner will assist Craig in his official capacity at the Garry Stead Benefit Grand Prix

With only a few days to go before the Garry Stead Benefit Grand Prix Speedway meeting Co-Promoters, Neil Machin and David Hoggart, have announced their admission strategy and it is very much business as usual at the Owlerton venue.

Admission has been pegged at the regular Premier League weekly rates of;

Adults £12.00 OAP’s £9.00 Children Aged 12 – 16, £5.00
Children Under 12 FREE

Neil Machin commented “We are indebted to Cyril Chell from Easy Rider Motor Cycles who has taken on the main sponsorship and allowed this to happen. Everyone is working on a voluntary basis but there are some hard costs and Cyril has covered this”.

The Sheffield club have produced a 28 page glossy colour magazine featuring Stead, who is paralysed following a track crash in May, Co-Promoter Hoggart is full of enthusiasm “The quality is excellent with only 1 advertisement, editorial from Garry and superb photography it will rank as one of the best ever. Elvis Jones has designed the cover and we have already been offered £1,000 for the original artwork which is signed by the 2007 British Grand Prix Riders” The cover price for the magazine is £4.00.

Donations may be sent payable to, “Garry Stead Benefit Fund” c/o Yorkshire Bank, 14 High Street, Alfreton, DE55 7BB or paid in at any Yorkshire Bank branch quoting the above detail.

SPONSOR PACKAGES NOW AVAILABLE !

RIDER & RACE SPONSORSHIP £200 -

TYRE & FUEL SPONSORSHIP £50 -

These packages are open to negotiation to meet individual needs. These packages can be done as an iddivdual or as a group.

If you are interested in any of the packages please contact : garrysteadwristbands@hotmail.co.uk

UNOFFICAL LINE UP.........
Gary Havelock (Redcar), Freddie Lindgren (Wolverhampton), Simon Stead (Belle Vue), Andre Compton (Sheffield), George Stancl (Edinburgh), Jason Lyons (Birmingham), Ricky Ashworth (Sheffield), Tai Woffinden (Rye House), Lee Complin (Stoke), Steve Johnston (Coventry), Joel Parsons (Sheffield), Rusty Harrison (Stoke), Chris Kerr (Redcar), Emiliano Sanchez (Birmingham), Magnus Zetterstrom (Somerset), TBC

------------------------------------
Links to a few Hotels in the Sheffield...

The Garrison Hotel

www.travelodge.co.uk - Sheffield Central

www.premiertravelinn.com

IBIS Sheffield
Shude Hill, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S1 2AR
Tel: 0114 241 9600 Sheffield City, 24Hr Accommodation, Bar & Food Service, En-Suit Rooms WithModern Style, Parking Available

www.sheffieldhotels.com

Just a guess at some of the riders that will be there

Shane parker

Andre compton

Emilano sanchez

Magnus karlson

Joel parsons

stoney

emil kramer

Paul thorp (retird competitors)

Stoke, Bradford, Newcastle, Workington, Hull and of course Sheffield”

So is there going to be a selection of them clubs top riders past and present.

Stoke, Bradford, Newcastle, Workington, Hull and of course Sheffield”

So is there going to be a selection of them clubs top riders past and present.

well of the 7 announced 5 used to ride for sheffield, and one used to ride in the interval before he was16, so we are well represented at the moment

James Toseland, the Sheffield-born 2004 World Superbike Champion will be a special guest at the Garry Stead Benefit “Grand Prix”

James Toseland, the Sheffield-born 2004 World Superbike Champion will be a special guest at the Garry Stead Benefit “Grand Prix”

Play with his band if I remember rightly, accomplished keyboard player.

I hope this meeting is an absolute hands down success. If this happens to any rider he deserves the speedway family to support him, more so a guy like Garry. Sheffield is a superb track with excellent facilities and I'm sure it will go to plan. Its only finances that are stopping me from going, TBH.

sure i heard that he would be playing with his band in the panorama room after the racing.

sure i heard that he would be playing with his band in the panorama room after the racing.

Think that the band is called crash.

Most of the line-up has now been announced and a number of former world champions are close to being included with 2 of these being the best racers that British Speedway has produced.

Riders Confirmed: -

Havelock, Lindgren, Simon Stead, Andre Compton, Stancl, Stoney, Ashworth, Woffinden, Complin, Steve Johnston, Parsons, Harrison, Kerr, Kessler, Zorro

Some good names appearing :D Even now I can't wait for the Compton/Stead clashes and seeing riders like Zorro, Stoney, Havvy etc! Might not have the Pedersens and the Crumps of British speedway in but still a great line up.. can't wait :D

Would be fantastic if a Pedersen or a Crump (Injury permitting) would be in the line up, and bring the crowd in for a very worth while cause.

15 riders confirmed for the main event...what chances on the 16th being Sean Wilson to add a few hudred to the gate. Other than that hopefully it is Chris Holder as the last name.