British Speedway Forum
Phil

The Garry Stead Benefit “grand Prix”

Nice gesture and I hope it raises a lot of money on Garry's behalf...

but....

just wish these things were done on a raffle basis as opposed to a highest bidder wins auction giving the 'average' fan a chance of winning it. Sure there must be a few fans who would find an extra fiver if it gave them 5 £1 chances of winning, and wouldn't 500 £1 tickets sold be better than a winning £350 bid (or whatever?)

Still I applaud Mr. Ackroyd for his generosity :)

Nice gesture and I hope it raises a lot of money on Garry's behalf...

but....

just wish these things were done on a raffle basis as opposed to a highest bidder wins auction giving the 'average' fan a chance of winning it. Sure there must be a few fans who would find an extra fiver if it gave them 5 £1 chances of winning, and wouldn't 500 £1 tickets sold be better than a winning £350 bid (or whatever?)

Still I applaud Mr. Ackroyd for his generosity  :)

I agree 100% with you on that, I thought the same about the Hans Andersen British GP bids.

I agree 100% with you on that, I thought the same about the Hans Andersen British GP bids.

I would agree with this, not everybody has big money spare on them.

Fairer aswell as everyone who purchases a ticket has an equal chance.

Still, as has been said, got to respect Ackroyd for this gesture.

Down to me this one I am afraid, sorry if I have put it out of reach of some of you but if I can explain my strategy.

Next weeks PR will carry the pricing structure but you will see that we have put attendance by admission very much in reach of everyone. By not hiking the admission price to £daft we are looking for numbers to turn up and enjoy. There will be a raffle but not an auction on the night, I have tried to open up the auctions to the wider Speedway Audience by using Ebay and in the case of the Referee we need a winner beforehand and could not realistically sell tickets all over the country. The strategy is simply to raise as much money from the widest audience, sorry if it hasn't come across quite as I intended.

The Coup de Grace will be the Souvenir Programme, A4 glossy, more a magazine than a book of adverts, sure the main sponsors are featured but out of 28 pages at the moment there are only 3 set aside for advertising. We have tried very hard to make this different to every other benefit/testimonial you have seen. At £4.00 you will own a piece of Garry, much of it written from his own words with candid photographs that will bring tears. It's not to be missed, promise.

David

Down to me this one I am afraid, sorry if I have put it out of reach of some of you but if I can explain my strategy.

Don't worry about it.. I still think it's a brilliant idea and at the end of the day Hoggy, every penny is still going to help Garry and it will go a long way I am sure.. no need for apologies IMO :)

No blame David. Appreciate what is being done and as stated before we know the money is going to a good cause.

(Would still appreciate the chance to do something like this however the winning bids on the auctions I've seen so far this year put these things way out of reach of the average fan :( - and (unusually for me :) ) it seems I'm not the only one - maybe something for future fund raisers to think on)

Looking forward to the meeting - 4 of us coming down from Middlesbrough with a stop in Leeds to pick my son up!

Edited by Boothers

MORT & LEE BACK IN ACTION FOR GARRY !

Two of the greatest Speedway racers of all time have agreed to come out of retirement to compete head to head for Garry at his Benefit Grand Prix at Sheffield on Thursday 23rd August - 7:15pm.

Former 1980 Speedway World Champion, Michael Lee will race against Chris Morton MBE the former World Pairs and World Team Cup Champion in the “best of three” match races.

Morton starts as clear favourite having represented Sheffield in the British League, held the Owlerton track record at 60.7 seconds for almost 10 years and ended his career as the winner of the Northern Riders Championship in 1993.

“Michael has spoken to me about this, he clearly means business but I’m confident I can beat him” said Morton, “I’ve always found Sheffield easy to ride but at the end of the day we’ll give it a good go for Garry”

Lee is equally confident “This is more about Garry than Chris and I, of course I’m up for it and if Chris thinks he’s in for an easy ride he can think again. I’d love to say we are going along for the ride but once a racer always a racer, we’ll liven it up you wait and see

remeber chris mortons ;ast ever race in that 1993 championship. He pushed bike over line to win it, got it on tape :lol: , glad to see him back though in a very big meeting :)

Two of the greatest Speedway racers of all time have agreed to come out of retirement to compete head to head for Garry at his Benefit Grand Prix at Sheffield on Thursday 23rd August - 7:15pm.

Former 1980 Speedway World Champion, Michael Lee will race against Chris Morton MBE the former World Pairs and World Team Cup Champion in the “best of three” match races.

Morton starts as clear favourite having represented Sheffield in the British League, held the Owlerton track record at 60.7 seconds for almost 10 years and ended his career as the winner of the Northern Riders Championship in 1993.

“Michael has spoken to me about this, he clearly means business but I’m confident I can beat him” said Morton, “I’ve always found Sheffield easy to ride but at the end of the day we’ll give it a good go for Garry”

Lee is equally confident “This is more about Garry than Chris and I, of course I’m up for it and if Chris thinks he’s in for an easy ride he can think again. I’d love to say we are going along for the ride but once a racer always a racer, we’ll liven it up you wait and see

Really looking forward to this one, will bring back memories

Really looking forward to this one, will bring back memories

For anyone interested nice big page in the Star bascially the text of which Phil as already posted

however the entire article is here http://www.thestar.co.uk/sportheadlines?articleid=3079871

Never saw Lee and Mort ride as I'm not old enough to remember and not been a fan for that long anyway really, but I am really looking forward to this one. :)

Never saw Lee and Mort ride as I'm not old enough to remember and not been a fan for that long anyway really, but I am really looking forward to this one. :)

i never saw lee ride, but i did see mort in 1993. He rode well for sheffield, although they did struggle largely away, whats new. :rolleyes: Anyway good to see them older riders back, and is david walsh coming back too? :unsure: