British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gaj2003

British Under 15's Championship 2007

Having received details of this years Under 15's Championship through the post this morning from Peter Oakes there is the possibility of 125cc Racing aswell as the 250cc & 500cc Championships if there is enough interest!

I spoke with Peter tonight on the phone and explained my youngster although eligible to ride in the 250cc Championship he's currently riding 125's till the end of the season, when he'll move onto the 250 Jawa (he's just turning 11 in August).

Peter expressed an interest in there being 125 racing alonside the other two Championships if there are enough younsters wanting to take part. As he doesn't have the information on who is riding 125cc bikes he said if the forms are returned stating currently riding 125cc bikes he'll be able to see the numbers interested.

Alternatively he can be contacted via peteroakes@aol.com

This is an excellent opportunity for the younsters who will be making the step up to the 250's next season or the season after and for some excellent track time with compeditive racing or experience for those starting out.

First round is at Weymouth on Saturday 4th August 2007 at 7.15pm with the other rounds TBC

Edited by Gaj2003

does anyone have the full line-up for this meeting yet? thanks  :)

No one knows whos riding til we get there at the moment.

Forms/Apllications were to be sent back to Peter by today (Friday 27th July) for the opening round at Weymouth.

Taking into account a load of entries (not sure how many 250's have been sold) and verifications to made (as apparently experience etc comes into play when there are loads of entries) chance's are Morgan is right and the line up will be announced on the day or at the earliest beginning of next week or sometime next week.

Folks, be prepared for a change in date for this one. No medical cover available on Saturday, so it looks like it will be the day before (3rd)

Sorry but thats ridiculous. I fully understand about the medical cover,but to change the date at this stage is not on.Surely medical cover should have been comfirmed BEFORE announcing the date?

This is an Under 15's Championship.Parents have to balance out time off work etc to get there.Kids are coming from all over the Country,and it needs planning.Accomodation will have been booked etc.Will they find anywhere else at this late stage?How many will actually be able to make this date change?

I heard last night at Plymouth,that Oxford have a home fixture for Friday night.So where will Peter Oakes be? No wonder he was reluctant to give me any details of the event.

Sorry,but I find this well out of order. :mad:

As in previous years I am sure the riders top three scores will go to the final.

This allows riders to miss the odd round and still be in contention of a good final result.

Certainly Peter has his hands full at the moment but I don't see anyone else stepping in to run the championship.

Mistakes will happen and even Dan was due to ride in an academy match on the Friday.

I am sure a compromise will be made and riders with commitments will have to wait for more news.

Just another disaster - when are the SCB going to put in someone who is fully committed to youth speedway. The current encumbant cannot possibly, under any circumstances, do the job properly given the number of other jobs that he is doing.

How can the dates not be fixed already for the U15 Chamionship? I understand from a position of being oversubscribed two/three years ago, we are filling a meeting with 250's and now 125's. Nothing against either, in fact the 250 series is just right in my opinion but it just shows how the youth speedway scene has gone downhill.

Wake up SCB before it is too late.

Sorry but thats ridiculous. I fully understand about the medical cover,but to change the date at this stage is not on.Surely medical cover should have been comfirmed BEFORE announcing the date?

This is an Under 15's Championship.Parents have to balance out time off work etc to get there.Kids are coming from all over the Country,and it needs planning.Accomodation will have been booked etc.Will they find anywhere else at this late stage?How many will actually be able to make this date change?

I heard last night at Plymouth,that Oxford have a home fixture for Friday night.So where will Peter Oakes be? No wonder he was reluctant to give me any details of the event.

Sorry,but I find this well out of order. :mad:

I would agree with you Bob that this whole championship needs planning. We recieved an e-mail on the 12th of July from BSPA stating that they wished to run the event, would any body like to stage a meeting. We tried to do the right thing , but everybody seems to want to do things to suit themselve at the moment. I compile the Weymouth programme, and i don't know the riders, the race format or indeed anything although I have asked and asked..

Bob, you didn't get much joy asking for some details, mate, nobody knows any details !!

As somebody else said on this thread, Someone is trying to do too many jobs.

Anybody who thought they were riding in this meeting or attending, please start asking some questions with the powers that be, because this meeting aint gonna be on.

So on the 12th July the BSPA/SCB sent out an e mail asking promoters if they wish to run U15 Championship meetings -that's over half way through the season. It doesn't give them much time to get organised.

This is a total let down to the riders, and to their parents who may have invested heavily for this championship. In 2004, it ran with 7 rounds from April to September, I think. Similar format in 2005 so what has gone wrong - no committment from the top to further youth speedway, with a few exceptions. There were promoters willing to run, Weymouth being one, and I am sure there are people that are willing to help organise, both this and the Academy Leagues but both are clearly being run on a shoestring, both financially and resource wise by the bodies governing speedway in this country. Is it not time for a change before speedway in this country becomes defunct through lack of youngsters coming into the sport and more importantly sticking at it?

How many times have we heard that a rider has gone grass tracking or Moto x because he/she can at least get regular rides??

Please BSPA/SCB, open your eyes to what is happening in the real world.

hi my ashley morris is in the 250 meeting and we have not been told about date change just that they plan to do 3 to 4 rounds in the championships. I think we need a person to run u15 racing and training sessions in this country with no other comitments, but i do believe that the current person in change is doing there best.

The Under - 15 round scheduled at Weymouth for saturday 4th August has been postponed until a later date - actual date to be confirmed.

Weymouth will be racing against Newport Select on FRIDAY 3rd August instead.

Apologies for any confusion caused.

If this was hastily arranged on the 12th July, smacks of desperation as a meeting went ahead on the 13th July at Kings Lynn, that was, I understand, arranged by 8 parents and a promoter, and was a blinding success. Parents have invested heavily in engines and machinery only for them to go unused apart from practise days and some second half racing. Not the stuff of future champions or winning teams. Perhaps the kids are better off on grass or moto X.

looking forward to the next time at Kings Lynn too ... the kids certainly went out and gave it everything.

It definitely needs at least one person dedicated to youth speedway, and someone not doing half a dozen other jobs. The problem is how do you get the BSPA/SCB to see it the same way.

If this trend continues, there will be few youngsters coming through into the main teams.

I have previously stated figures, and forgive me if they are slightly wrong this time, but I think it is over 160 youngsters in Denmark on 125cc bikes. Their population is only 12-15% of Great Britain's so make your own comparison. You can probably count the number in this country on 2 hands and 2 feet, and they aren't competing in races week in week out.