British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sicknote

Indoor Series

Would it not be possible to arrange an Indoor Series. They already have experience of laying tracks indoors (Cardiff & Brighton) and it won't be affected by the weather.

Other motor sports now do this (trials, supercross etc). IMO it would add to the atmosphere and help promote the sport. It could be staged over several rounds and it could even be done using a touring 'Dream Team' (like the yanks did in basketball)

Anyway just an opinion.

Would it not be possible to arrange an Indoor Series. They already have experience of laying tracks indoors (Cardiff & Brighton) and it won't be affected by the weather.

Other motor sports now do this (trials, supercross etc). IMO it would add to the atmosphere and help promote the sport. It could be staged over several rounds and it could even be done using a touring 'Dream Team' (like the yanks did in basketball)

Anyway just an opinion.

I would guess the major problem would be with cost both in terms of venues big enough (cant think somewhere like the NEC or O2 arena comes cheap) and the insistence on trying to lay a shale track as is done in Brighton (not to everyones taste)

If an alternative surface could be found that could be more easily laid and removed and perhaps look at less powerful bikes it may be possible but would still think that the venue cost would make it a fairly big gamble based on what the maximum attendance could be

Well here in North Germany we almost have the basis for such a series.In the winter we have i think 4 venues.Neustadt(Dosse),Schwerin,Rostock+ Kiel.Just the promoters are working independant at the moment

problem you have is that Brighton and Cardiff are still to an extent novelty, one off events ... if you started having more of them you wouldn't get anyone going to watch.

have a look at the Brighton thread from 7 months ago and see how many people are fed up with that and won't be bothering again.

i went to the first one at Brighton and not bothered about going any more, i went to one at Birmingham NEC, and i went to all the Wembley indoor meetings and i can't say i would go to any more

problem you have is that Brighton and Cardiff are still to an extent novelty, one off events ... if you started having more of them you wouldn't get anyone going to watch.

have a look at the Brighton thread from 7 months ago and see how many people are fed up with that and won't be bothering again.

i went to the first one at Brighton and not bothered about going any more, i went to one at Birmingham NEC, and i went to all the Wembley indoor meetings and i can't say i would go to any more

I see your point, it's the same with outdoor meetings such as New Year Classic etc. People moan that it's always the same people etc, etc. However if they developed a package I believe that it may generate a different fan base. They would need to research into pricing, formats etc.

As they are one-off venues and smaller venues it may also look more appealing to the media (lack of empty seats etc.). Just may help to raise the profile of the sport

Cant be done over the close season either only one meeting per month is permitted between November and February

Cant be done over the close season either only one meeting per month is permitted between November and February

Isn't that proper speedway though or does Brighton count as that months meeting?Only i thought a couple of meetings were called grass track and they get through.So if you had some other surface other than shale would that not be outside of the ruling?

But why would you need more than 1 meeting per month. the idea would be a limited amount of fixtures so you would get a maximum crowd. As someone has said previously if you have too many then people get fed-up. I believe that this series would work better as less-is-more.

Also if it comes down to rules then you only have to look at the way that speedway make the rules to see tha if it made it financially viable then they would certainly change this.

Yeah Brighton counts you may remember Redcar trying to run a meeting last December, they had to say it was Grasstrack and have 5 riders a race as otherwise they wouldnt have been able to run it. In the end it was rained off though.